Madden NFL 25 definitely not coming to Wii U

Thursday, 2nd May 2013 05:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

This year’s Madden NFL, which also happens to be the very special 25th anniversary release, will not release on Wii U.

The title had only been announced for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, so this isn’t exactly news, but some punters had held out for a delayed release.

Unfortunately, EA Sports has confirmed it has no plans to port the sports sim, telling NintendoLife:

“We will not be releasing a Wii U version of Madden NFL in 2013. However, we have a strong partnership with Nintendo and will continue to evaluate opportunities for delivering additional Madden NFL products for Nintendo fans in the future.”

EA has only released three games for Wii U, off the top of my head – Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Mass Effect 3 and FIA 13 – so perhaps it simply hasn’t had time to adapt the engine it uses for Madden NFL to the new system – or it could be a deliberate snub, as even Nintendo is disappointed in the console’s sales to date.

Madden NFL 25 is due on August 27.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. The_Red

This is an “Unprecedented partnership..”. I mean, the last time EA did this, it was to the poor Dreamcast.

#1 1 year ago
  2. fearmonkey

^ I still hold a grudge with EA over that….. it’s ironic that Peter Moore (The US head of Sega at the time and the man behind the US launch of the Dreamcast) is now in charge of EA sports.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

Oh this is unfortunately the tip of the iceberg.

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

Yeah, that is one bittersweet flash of irony.

To be fair though, Madden is super only big in US. It is the FIFA that matters the most internationally and I don’t think EA will cancel that one for Wii U unless there are seriously holding a grudge against Ninty.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Rockin a Jack D

Like anyone buys a Nintendo system to Madden…

#5 1 year ago
  6. theevilaires

Oh FFS if Madden won’t release on this thing….and Madden releases on EVERYTHING then its over for the Wii U. I’m sorry but Nintendo deserves this for pulling that bullshit with the Wii.

#6 1 year ago
  7. NeutralBlade

EA’s attitude still stems from the fact that Nintendo rejected their Origin product for the Wii U. EA wanted Wii U online to be entirely built around and supported by Origin, (putting their online network entirely in the control of EA) and Nintendo turned them down.

So it comes as no surprise that they’re acting this way. EA was very interested until they got shot down, and now they’re shunning Nintendo. I respect Nintendo for not being a sell out, as everyone else should as well.

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

I love Madden 13 on WiiU. Best Video Game Football experience ever made. No joke. I didn’t buy the system for Madden. But once I had the system, I bought the game. The gamepad allows for some amazing things. But you know there is not one drop of DLC for Madden 13 on WiiU.

I am guessing that also factors into EAs mindset. Not to mention the sales numbers prolly aren’t as high as they would like. But how are they compared to Vita and 3DS? Or Wii? I would think it would be cost effective to do a Madden for WiiU each year.

I would venture a guess that with very little effort EA could use the same engine they used for Madden 13 on WiiU and put Madden 14 on it as well. EA already did the ground work and the hard part. They aren’t starting from scratch.

There are a lot of parrelels to Dreamcast and Wiiu. The thing is, imo, the Dreamcast ended up being the second best system ever made(right behind TG16/Duo). Might be that Wiiu ends up third on my list. Cause at this point, I love mine.

#8 1 year ago
  9. viralshag

It obviously isn’t worth it for them to waste any money on the title for this console. Madden 13 sold poorly on the WiiU in comparison to how many consoles sold, they must think it’s not worth it at all which I think is fair.

#9 1 year ago
  10. OlderGamer

Keep in mind also:

“Worse, Madden NFL’s 27% drop year-over-year was more than three times the overall industry’s 8% decline.”

That was PreMadden 13. I wonder if sale expectations are off. Plus, if I am correct Madden is also skipping Vita and 3DS this year as well. Don’t be shocked if sales of EA games have a hard time selling well on all of the new systems. I think the bulk of EA buyers are slightly different then the folks that buy new systems early. Plus historicly new systems launch with very poor EA sports games(when compared to the previous generations versions often missing features).

#10 1 year ago