Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly lands on PSN next week

Thursday, 2nd May 2013 18:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly’s series director Makoto Shibata has said the game’s story was based on a dream he had after the first game had been completed.

According to an entry posted on the PS Blog, Shibata described the dream as “scary, magical, traumatic, and with perfect plot.” He set out to interpret the dream and recreate it through the game.

“In a psychic horror scenario, it is normal for ghosts and spirits to not appear in the exact locations where they previously appeared,” he said. “Even at any exact locations where spirits died, one can feel the presence every now and then. Also, the way a given spirit makes an appearance may be different on occasion. Such never-ending loops of thoughts are the core characteristic of psychic horror.

“One may notice a slight difference in what the true meaning of the story concludes when playing the game. The more times you play through it, the more different outcomes you’ll feel every time as a result. This is actually a reflection of what happened when I was trying to figure out the meanings behind the dream I had mentioned earlier on.

“This never-ending illusion is something which has been reflected in the game. I recommend it to anyone who has not encountered any spiritual occasions in real life, to try and get an idea of what they are missing.”

Fatal Frame 2 is hitting PSN next week, and to me, it was one of the scariest games I ever played. The original Fatal Frame is already available as a PS2 Classic on the service.

1. xBASSxMONSTAx

I want it on PS Vita. :(

2. TimX93

Didn’t Nintendo buy the rights? ..

3. Clupula

Hmmmm…maybe I should start downloading these for my PS3. Never played any of the series.

4. PEYJ

BUT

isn’t it only on the US PSN??? I see nothing about it on the EU PSN and Blog. Just like Primal by the way (which was developed by Studio Cambridge and thus European).

5. Clupula

@4 – Y’all need to move to a better country than Europe then.

‘murica, Fuck Yeah!

6. dizzygear

@4 The games are know as Project Zero in the PAL zone. Not sure if their on the PAL PSN store though. Probably not because LOL SCEE.

TBH i thought Project Zero 2 was way too predictable story wise. Its practically the same story as Project Zero 1 with different characters. Also gameplay wise there is way too much backtracking and the MC runs sloooooooow…

7. Clupula

@6 – Without having played either game, and DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING FOR ME, aren’t all ghost stories really the same story, deep down?

8. dizzygear

@7 Without spoiling too much, the structure and setup is almost the same right down to the (true) ending as Project Zero 1 to the point i knew exactly how it was going to end 1/5 into the game. Thats what kinda annoyed me about it.

9. PEYJ

Well, this is a European based site so the reference to the blog post ought to emphasise that it only concerns the US side.

Country – Europe? I assume you are an American.

10. Clupula

@9 – My god, the “America Fuck Yeah” video didn’t clue you in to my sarcasm? No one from New York City says, “Y’all.” Also, I’m quite aware that Europe is a continent.

I was parodying some of the more backwards citizens of my country.

11. PEYJ

My bad then. I didn’t click the link as youtube “references” is something I usually ignore and the words that preceded it didn’t ring a bell.