GRID 2 LiveRoutes trailer show tracks full of random peril

Wednesday, 1st May 2013 14:36 GMT By Dave Cook

GRID 2 developer Codemasters has released a new trailer for its sprawling racer, this time showing off the new LiveRoutes engine, which switches up track sections on the hoof, meaning no two race-throughs are the same.

The idea is that online races will stay fresh, and won’t just boil down to everyone memorising the same racing line and piling into each other. Because that’s not fun.

I recently interviewed Codemasters about LiveRoutes and many other multiplayer features. You can check out everything they had to say here.

1. silverstorm

This is a really good idea actually. I’m tired of the linearity of the same tracks in racing games, like Forza 4.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Giskard

@1 That’s the thing about racing though, the tracks ARE the same, and it’s about mastering a known thing.

This sounds fun, but is a huge step away from realism, which I mostly enjoyed in Forza.

#2 1 year ago
  3. silkvg247

Will it be an optional/extra thing?

Could do with knowing if it’s part of the main “campaign” or not – if it is, I’ll have to cross it off the “to buy” list for my Dad. He likes his racers, but he likes to master the courses – I think he’d hate randomly generated ones.

#3 1 year ago
  4. OlderGamer

One of the biggest problems in developing a racer with heavy online focus is in seperating the pack of drivers. That is why the physics engines are so twitchy. If they weren’t you could have mass chaos in every corner. Because each driver would have a car that they could master control of. All things being equal the drivers would be crashing into each other constantly trying to ocupy the same space on the track at the same time.

By changing up the tracks you can add a level of upredictablity to each race. It is another varrible to help keep drivers seperated on the track.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Hcw87

Pretty sure LiveRoutes will be a separate playlist, you can still play normal races.

”Codemasters has revealed that the multiplayer mode of GRID 2 will offer an entirely distinct progression system, separate from Career mode. GRID 2′s wide-range of game modes – Race (Including LiveRoutes), Endurance, Drift, Touge, Checkpoint, Face Off, Time Attack – can be played online with up to 12 players, including custom races based on player preferences and choosing from pre-defined playlists to jump straight into the action.”

Also @4

”New anti-griefing technology includes player grouping, so gamers who like to trade paint will be brought together online whilst clean racers are more likely to find similar drivers in their online sessions. Eleven multiplayer screenshots and a new movie have been added in our download section.”

#5 1 year ago
  6. roadkill

@silkvg247 “He likes his racers, but he likes to master the courses” You don’t know that. Ask him first!

#6 1 year ago
  7. fihar

You’re absolutely right sadly.
    This is exactly why every sim racers need to have an option to disable vehicle damage in online races, or alternatively a harsh penalty system.

It’s madness when you’ve spent a whole hour finding the perfect setup for your car just to have someone else ram you off the track in the first corner of the opening lap.
    There was this one time in RacePro I got into a one-on-one race in Anderstorp with some random dude. He bumped me in one of the corners and I spun out and he ended up with a sizable lead over me. And then in the next lap I found him parked in the runway straight actually waiting for me to catch up.
    I slowed down a bit, to make sure he’s following me and we keep trading places all the way to chequered flag.
    It is possible to have an actual decent race in an online session, you just have to meet the right players first.
    If you’re looking for a great race, I suggest joining an online community racing league. You’re bound to meet some jerk in matchmaking or by getting in to some random lobby.

By the way, nice to know that they included a form of visual cues for LiveRoutes. I know I’d still probably misjudge a corner or two though.

#7 1 year ago