Cyberpunk 2077 won’t be a “dark and hopeless world” like Blade Runner

Wednesday, 1st May 2013 15:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Cyberpunk 2077 won’t rely on the pen and paper mechanics inherent in the Cyberpunk 2020 table top game it’s based on, because according to CD Projekt Red, mechanics such as those don’t work when translated into video games. In fact, such mechanics would make the game “super boring.”

Speaking with IGN, Cyberpunk’s game director Mateusz Kanik said the original system based on dice rolls doesn’t work when translated into an action RPG full of shooting and “a lot of explosions.”

“We want to make it more action-like – there will be a system that lets you use active skills actually in the gameplay in a shooting sequence or something like that, rather than just passive skills like in the books,” he said. “But also it’s important to still keep the mood and the original feel of Cyberpunk – we don’t want to just create a science-fiction game. It’s easy to do that.

“We still want to balance it with those main features and the mood from the Cyberpunk original. This is a huge task, I think.”

According to Cyberpunk 2077′s creative director Sebastian Stepien, the game also won’t just use the term cyberpunk as aesthetic. Instead, it will harbor the actual philosophy behind the term, and allow players to create their own story within the genre with characters imbued with their own personality.

“This is very, very important. The style and mood and atmosphere of this world, what you do at the bar, what do you drink, how you react with other people, what dialogue you choose –all these things let us keep the Cyberpunk atmosphere all the time,” said Stepien.

“There are lots of cyber games around, but there’s not a lot of punk in those games,” Mateusz added . “We want to put more punk into ours. We do not want to make a dark and hopeless world. We are not doing Blade Runner. It will be full of rock and roll.”

“It’s more like a Tarantino approach,” added Sebastian.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a ways off, and expected on PC sometime in later 2015 or possibly 2016. Or whenever it’s ready.

1. Edo

Slightly worrying but OK…there is still a long way to go,I don’t think we’ll see any actual gameplay this year.

#1 1 year ago
  2. The_Red

The “Won’t be a dark and hopeless world” part is OK.
    The “doesn’t work when translated into an action RPG full of shooting and a lot of explosions… We want to make it more action-like” part is NOT.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 He just means that in the context of traditional dice rolls associated with pen and paper games.

Imagine, if you implemented similar mechanics in a game where you shoot things is all he’s saying.

#3 1 year ago
  4. UuBuU

I don’t see why dice rolls and stat checks cant or shouldnt work.

If I shoot at someone in an RPG, whether I hit them or not should be determined by my character’s skill the weapon, as well as a small element of chance. It should also determine which part of the body I hit, with locational damage as well as the power of the weapon i’m using determining if the hit is a kill or not.

It should NOT be an action game where accuracy is purely determined by player skill and the only variable is damage dealt. That’s just not good enough for an RPG in my opinion. I dont care if kiddies whine because enemies arent dying even though they ~ the player ~ are firing on target.

The only compromise between the two is to have bullets go where the player aims, but make it physically harder for them to aim on target with a low skill character. For instance ~ a low skill character may experience gun swaying, or the crosshair may be larger and less precise than it would be with a high skill character. But even then, I still think there should be ~ some ~ dice rolls involved.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

“I don’t see why dice rolls and stat checks cant or shouldnt work.”

They work and they are already done in the best Bioware work to date: Neverwinter nights 1

#5 1 year ago
  6. GwynbleiddiuM

*shudders* I.. I trusted you CDP. And what is this nonsense about it not being Dark and hopeless? Why the fuck not?

@UuBuU Although I’m not particularly supper excited about more shooters with RPG elements, I think a lot of people wouldn’t understand how you could miss shots in point blank range due to poor luck with RNGs. That would make them frustrated and unhappy.

They are not making a turn-base isometric like Shadowrun Returns, I think what they’re making is Mass Effect 3/Dues Ex: Human Revolution than even Deus Ex. More action/shooter than anything else in terms of combat.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Stephany Nunneley

@4 I agree with you on some points as a P&P player myself. Trap checks, accuracy, etc. And I agree with @6 on some of this as well.

Also I think the game will be gritty enough, and depending on how you play it, it may be a bit “dark and hopeless”. I am more worried about the “Tarantino approach” which tends to be cheesy sometimes.

It’s a long ways off though and I’m giving CDP the benefit of the doubt.

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

… but the night is dark and full of terrors. I don’t think Blade Runner is too dark/hopeless to be honest. I love the art-direction of the film and I am still baffled that so few developers took inspiration from it. Hard Reset looks fantastic because it was so heavily inspired by Blade Runner.

I like Punk, I do not like Tarantino. Not at all.

But anyway, this is CDP we’re talking about here. No matter what the result will be, it will probably be good.

Hopefully better than the teaser.

#8 1 year ago
  9. GwynbleiddiuM

@YoungZero Oh great, another one of these guys who think they have found the true God…

The only Tarantino movie I liked was Django, even then I thought it was overrated, still Christoph Waltz and DiCaprio were both bloody marvelous.

Anyway, Even though I agree with you I thought the teaser was actually great.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheWulf

It’s hard to know how to open a comment like this, really. If you consider, it’s dealing with stagnation and comfort zones. People are familiar with the dystopian cyberpunk future and they tend to disregard so many settings which weren’t actually bleak at all. Not even remotely.

And it’s to the point where people are outright remembering wrong. Deus Ex wasn’t even remotely bleak, it’s no more so than today and our current world issues. And the writers of Ion Storm’s favourite ending, Helios, is actually incredibly uplifting. It deals with the notion of a transhumanist future where the needs of every individual are noted as an individual, rather than just catering to the generality (the mainstream).

To say that Deus Ex was ever dystopian is just projected bullshit. You may have wanted it to be, but the games always rewarded you for not buying into that. Stealth playthrough? Rewarded. Non-lethal playthrough? Rewarded. Right up until the very end with the Helios ending. What I think is happening is that a more simple mind perceives ‘set at night’ as ‘bleak.’ That’s really not true at all.

That’s purely an aesthetic choice, they wanted a MYSTERIOUS atmosphere. Not a bleak one. Deus Ex was actually an incredibly positive experience. Every Deus Ex game had a positive, uplifting ending. You can force Deus Ex to be a crapsack world, but that’s your choice with the ending. It’s like Mass Effect — okay, sure, you can destroy the Reapers and screw over the galaxy by handing a ruined world, sans Geth (who can resist mind control) over to the Leviathans and that’s going to be shitty. That’s going to be a crapsack reality.

But you can also choose Synthesis and create a new era of peace and understanding. You can free the Reapers from their enslavement, you don’t have to kill the Geth, synthetics get emotional maturity and understanding, organics get upgrades (even immortality) and everything is beautiful. You can choose destroy, but that’s just your own nihilistic attitude.

Separate PROJECTION from OBJECTIVITY, please.

Deus Ex was exactly the same as ME3 in many regards — it could be bleak or optimistic depending on the person projecting at it. Deus Ex was never objectively bleak. Not remotely. In fact, Deus Ex was the absolute proof of how cyberpunk settings don’t have to be bleak. Let’s have one that’s actually interesting and uplifting, and treats transhumanism with actual fucking emotional and intellectual maturity (rather than approaching it with the mindset of a sulking child). I’m sure that some of you would LOVE to stagnate, and I just don’t get that.

Oh, I want the same thing over and over. Cyberpunk MUST be bleak. Fantasy MUST be swords and dragons. Sci-Fi CAN’T contain magic.

You’re so fucking limited.

—Edit—

That it isn’t just the same old, same old bleak nonsense puts this on my map.

#10 1 year ago
  11. zinc

Sounds good. Actually sounds very good!

Nothing worse than some cyborg supermodel, weeping into his drink over the unfairness of having pneumatic pile-drivers for arms.

Let’s inject some fun into the genre :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. FrayJoker

I once had an experienced GM describe two groups of players when it comes to Cyberpunk. There are Black Suits and Pink Mohawks.

Black suits like to run their campaigns like clockwork. They go into every job with every contingency in mind, and hit a place like ghosts. Unless you knew what they were after, you’d have no idea they were there. These role players liked bleaker settings where their actions could have a heavier impact on the world around them. They want heavy consequences for screwed up jobs and to feel like everything has meaning.

Pink Mohawks are reactive. They like to barge into things single-mindedly, and for each thing that then happens next, they try to work out what will keep them alive. They want unsubtle car chases in the streets, they want shootouts with cops with high body counts. They don’t really care about what happens to anyone but them.

Players who like one of these styles of play don’t see the appeal in the other style of play. Certainly both styles of play are conducive to a cyberpunk setting. Black Suit play is more grounded in plot and atmosphere, which are important to CDP. I think what’s actually being said here is that they want to make sure there’s enough Pink Mohawk in there to help with actual gameplay.

While I’m positive they can hit a balance, I can see why a “Pink Suit” game would be divisive.

#12 1 year ago