Call of Duty: Ghosts announced for current and “next-gen”

Wednesday, 1st May 2013 17:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Call of Duty: Ghosts has been made official by Activision after rumors of the game’s contents first surfaced in March, and the recent teasing by the firm itself.

Call of Duty: Ghosts will contain an all-new story, all-new characters, and “an all-new Call of Duty world,” powered by a next generation Call of Duty engine. The firm called this a “leap forward for the franchise.”

“Everyone was expecting us to make Modern Warfare 4, which would have been the safe thing to do. But we’re not resting on our laurels,” said Mark Rubin, executive producer of developer Infinity Ward.

“We saw the console transition as the perfect opportunity to start a new chapter for Call of Duty. So we’re building a new sub-brand, a new engine, and a lot of new ideas and experiences for our players. We can’t wait to share them with our community.”

It has been confirmed for next-gen Xbox as it will be shown during the reveal of the console on May 21.

“We are consistently thrilled with the overwhelming response received from critics and consumers alike to the Call of Duty series, which has firmly established its home on the Xbox 360 with the game’s largest and most engaged community,” said Don Mattrick, president of the interactive entertainment business at Microsoft.

“With Call of Duty: Ghosts, we have no doubt that our longtime partners, Activision and Infinity Ward, will raise the bar higher than ever before for this incredible franchise.”

It will also be made available on other “next-generation” consoles, so this means PS4 as well. A Wii U version was not mentioned in the press release, but that doesn’t mean it’s not in the works through a different studio at Activision. It’s just not included as part of today’s announcement, so we’ll have to see.

The pre-order page is also up so you can reserve your copy for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Expect a full reveal on May 21, then. Call of Duty: Ghosts will release on November 5.

A teaser trailer is below featuring various types of warriors, but no gameplay.

1. Lewis247

First COD since 2009 that isn’t BLOPS or MW. YAY.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Tavarish

@1 Well basically this is MW 4[?] because this is just spinoff from MW franchise of CoD. Modern setting incoming in 3… 2… 1…

Edit: What engines Activision has access to? UE 4.0?

#2 1 year ago
  3. heroes159

Yehhhhhhhhh… ?????????????

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

Should be a laugh.

I find it odd that the event is being referred to as “new generation Xbox”, not “next generation Xbox”.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

They build new engine. Let’s see it. I’m interested for now to see what they’ve got.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Talkar

I’m excited to see the new engine, the new game i’m not that excited about.

I’m calling it now. At the nextbox event we’re going to hear something along the lines of “This new console isn’t just the next generation, it is the NEW GENERATION”.
    Some PR dude most likely thinks people will fall for that and not the other…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lengendaryboss

Looks like the never ending alliance MS has with COD will never end.

#7 1 year ago
  8. tezzer1985

This is why Call of Duty out sales Battlefield, EA announce BF4, but refuse confrim or talk about Next-gen versions.

Activison annocunce COD, and they announce it for PS4 and out right the new Xbox, where COD has a big install base.

I just feel that EA missed a trick, with not talking about BF4 on next gen, they will again be playing catch up to COD.

#8 1 year ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

Between this, Respawn’s IP and Destiny, next gen is looking pretty hype for online FPSs!

#9 1 year ago
  10. hives

I wonder if they will make at least one big change. Or will it just be better looking.

My relationship with this series is weird. I bought last game and played online for month… And then I went back to TF2 and BF3 :P Wonder how it will be with this one.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Moonwalker1982

I’m not gonna lie. I am definitely curious how this is going to look on the new Xbox. I have hopes that a new engine and some new changes can make it interesting for me again. I’ve given up on CoD after Black Ops I, but i’m still hoping that CoD can become great again. I’ve got amazing memories of awesome play sessions in CoD 4 with my friends, that kind of fun i’ve never had again in any online shooter. Not in BC2, not in BF3 and not in Halo 4.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Tavarish

@8 CoD outselling Bf has very little to do with platform announcements. Especially when it comes to next gen because its install base will be so laughable small when compared to current gen when these games come out.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Belmont

@tezzer1985

So far you are right,but what happens when BF4 is shown on PS4/Xbox ? It will probably be quite ahead in terms of visuals and then, BF3 sold some 15 million copies or more. BF is not exactly financial failure !

#13 1 year ago
  14. DSB

The real question is whether new engine means “We bolted even more crap onto the IW engine!” or “We actually got new kit!”.

It would be a brilliant move on Activisions part if they gave the series a makeover just as sales started to flag. And that’s what makes me skeptical.

#14 1 year ago
  15. MadFingerz

Watching this trailer makes me feel embarassed for the guys who made it…Not only is it stupid, it doesn’t even show you anything to be excited for.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Belmont

I doubt it is anything ground breaking. Probably they wrote a new one solely because they wanted to release the game on Xbox and PS4.COD has never been about great visuals,its been about great (great what?)

#16 1 year ago
  17. tezzer1985

@BELMONT

BF is a huge success, not denying that. Let me compare it this way, PS4 is announced everybody is talking about it, it has hype around it, it’s the main focus until we hear about Xbox

BF4 should have been the same for Next gen FPS, we should have all been talking about it, until next gen COD was announced,

Hope you understand that analogy.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Erthazus

You don’t need to write solely engine to run it on the new box.
    Modern Warfare 4 was made on the old engine.

Every Call Of Duty used modified Id Tech 3.

right now? Let’s see what they are doing. Maybe new engine, maybe old one with new modifications as always.

but I hope for decent gameplay and not stupid AUTO-AIM mechanics for noobs that don’t know how to play FPS games.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Dave Cook

Pumped. Bring it on.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Moonwalker1982

They are going to show it at MS’ show on the new Xbox, i’m expecting it to have great graphics to showcase the power of the system. We’ll see.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Belmont

Yes,Now I understand.

This comment makes me think you are an honest person. Cause plenty of people are like “COD is terrible crap but of course I pre-order the Collectors edition and buy all the DLC”.

#21 1 year ago
  22. G1GAHURTZ

^ There’s only one person around here like that…

#22 1 year ago
  23. ActionGameKing

Damn son! Microsoft just dropped its BIGGEST BOMB already! Your move Sony.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Erthazus

^ It dropped the bomb that is coming to PC, 360, PS3, PS4, Next Xbox , WiiU and handheld devices?

Holy shit… Such a bomb on every platform there is.

#24 1 year ago
  25. ActionGameKing

@24 Don’t be a prick. There are millions of potential buyers out there watching that trailer and will think it’s only coming to the next Xbox. It’s called marketing and for the 1st time this year Microsoft is doing it right. Before today, there was no hype for the Xbox reveal, today everyone is now curious. This is a huge bomb Microsoft dropped, it’s the most popular videogame brand currently in the world. Personally I could care less about COD, but you cannot deny that the game signs big checks.

#25 1 year ago
  26. tezzer1985

I own every CoD game on PS3, and some of them on 360. I can’t wait to see this game.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Moonwalker1982

Exactly man, that is a fact. It’s a very wise decision of Microsoft, but really not all that surprising. They’ve had CoD at all their E3′s for the last few years. Along with CoD: Ghosts, i’m expecting some first party games footage as well. Probably Ryse, the Rare game and perhaps Forza 5 but most likely PGR5. But maybe not…we’ll see.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Erthazus

“Don’t be a prick. There are millions of potential buyers out there watching that trailer and will think it’s only coming to the next Xbox.”

Don’t be stupid. There are millions of potential idiots out there watching that trailer and will think it’s only coming to the next Xbox.

The rest of the normal human being and gamers know that it is coming to other platforms aswell.

It’s not a surprise and no one is saying that it is EXCLUSIVE to MS. Everyone know that Call Of Duty games are always revealed at Microsoft Press Conference. Acti+MS are doing it since forever.

But on one thing I Agree. MS marketing is glorious compared to Sony’s POS.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Belmont

Microsoft dropped the bomb by announcing that it will show COD in its reveal conference. Whoa !!
    Yes,I understand that COD is simply the biggest thing out there (only by sales). I get it that Microsoft may actually win this hand thanks to it. But its not a 12 minute long conference, there is Kinect, 146 different services of movie and music streaming,20 fitness games and on.

Sony will certainly present itself at full force in E3,then there is Gamescom and so on. Sony can partner with EA on BF4 (They already did it to some degree with Platinum membership for BF3)and then they have always went well with Ubisoft.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Belmont

@ 28

I can’t believe that I agree with you on something. Cool !

#30 1 year ago
  31. Erthazus

” own every CoD game on PS3, and some of them on 360. I can’t wait to see this game.
    COD:MW got me into FPS’s, I love the series, I can’t wait to see and play this game.”

That is what’s wrong with the industry. I guess you can’t do anything about it.

#31 1 year ago
  32. DSB

It’s hilarious how so many people are left scratching their heads at why people play CoD.

Brace yourselves, here it comes: It’s fun.

#32 1 year ago
  33. sg1974

A new CoD? Already played it. About ten times. But I’ll tune in and hope to be surprised. Not much hope mind, been burned several times before.

#33 1 year ago
  34. redwood

why can’t we just have Half life 3?

#34 1 year ago
  35. Erthazus

^ + One million.

#35 1 year ago
  36. zinc

If their is no face painting involved in the new game, I will be VERY disappointed!

#36 1 year ago
  37. tezzer1985

@Erthazus

Correction, I’m whats right with the industry, I support and buy games new.I can afford to double up on games, I have both consoles in different locations.

Yeah I buy COD and Fifa every year, but I also buy other games, big titles and little titles.

I bought Enslaved, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Spec Ops..and many more all NEW, I support the industry.

Just because I like COD doesn’t make you anymore then a gamer then me, so grow up, and stop labeling people like you know what they are about.

P.S my XBOX/PSN is tezzer1985 look at my list of games played on both…DPMO

#37 1 year ago
  38. sg1974

Erthazus is just angry you don’t own them exclusively for 360.

#38 1 year ago
  39. sg1974

Incidentally, if they update the engine a gen that should bring them nicely into PS2/Xbox territory, just as everybody else is unwrapping their PS4/Durango.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Erthazus

I’m not angry.

@tezzer, it has nothing to do with CoD at all. Relax and have fun.

I’m talking about “COD:MW got me into FPS’s” sentence for many reasons. Because before that there were a much better FPS’s in general.

#40 1 year ago
  41. tezzer1985

@Erthazus
    It’s the truth, I had always hated FPS games, still kind of do.

I’m a RPG and 3rd Person action game fan.

I like the bubble gum story and gameplay of COD, don’t really play them online.

#41 1 year ago
  42. stretch215

Wow, look at all that hate. That’s how you know cod is doing something right. It gets people talking. There’s no such thing as bad publicity, baby. Maybe this game will bring me back though, I haven’t played cod in months (although I’ll probably get back into some blops 2 eventually).

#42 1 year ago
  43. fearmonkey

@42 – I disagree they are doing something right.
    I enjoyed Call of Duty up to Modern Warfare, and then no longer enjoyed the games. I loved Infinity Ward’s games, but never liked the ones made by other companies. I rented the games that came after Modern Warfare and just never enjoyed them. I personally still like Call of Duty 2 the best, it was an amazing game for it’s time, and I enjoyed it the most.

The one good thing is that COD became this generations Rainbow six, in that all the dudebros and fratboy types play COD, and left Halo behind.
    If I want to deal with the most annoying multiplayer people, it’s on COD. I was actually surprised how Halo 4 was in comparison, it’s so much quieter and fun than it used to be.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Eddie Rodrigues

I’m not jumping to any conclusions but if they are finally changing their 6 year old engine then probably this is a new beginning. I don’t expect severe changes though, otherwise they will lose their target casual audience.

#44 1 year ago
  45. stretch215

@43 what I said was not for you to agree or disagree to. It is simply fact. I never said cod was the best fps game out there, but is is the most popular by far. Your generalization about “dudebros” and “fratboys”(which is sweeping, petty, and juvenile) refers to the community, which is not mentioned in my post at all. It’s impossible to be the largest franchise in gaming and not be doing some thing right. Silly kid.

#45 1 year ago
  46. tmac2011

lol

#46 1 year ago
  47. fearmonkey

@45 – This “kid” first started playing games on the Atari and colecovision lol….

I wasnt bashing you, I was bashing COD a bit, and I wasnt saying that only fratboys or dudebros play the game if you look what I said.
    What I am saying is that i know a quite a few juvenille trashtalking multiplayer only players that only play COD, and in their words (not mine) everything else is “gay”. The trashtalking in COD is on another level compared to any other series I have personally played except maybe Rainbow six back in the Xbox days.

I was just saying those types gravitate towards COD more than any franchise that i know. There are plenty of youtube videos that poke fun of those types and they all mention COD and they have to be based on something.

#47 1 year ago
  48. G1GAHURTZ

^ Most of the gaming videos on Youtube are CoD videos, anyway, so it means nothing.

You’d have to be somewhat naive to think that a game with over 40 million monthly players isn’t going to have it’s fair share of idiots.

Obviously 10% of 40m is a much larger number than 10% of the 2-3m in each of the other online games.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Dave Cook

If someone is trash-talking. Mute then. Simple.

If someone likes CoD don’t give them shit for it. They buy it because they enjoy it.

If someone likes Battlefield don’t give them shit for it. They buy it because they enjoy it.

It is possible for people to like both franchises. Liking one does not instantly mean they hate the other.

I believe FIFA is now globally out-selling CoD (I’m getting ready for my shift so can’t check that)

CoD: Ghosts – I’m pumped. Bring it on.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Mjorh

i can’t beleive that there is a CHANGE in this franchise! D!

MW3 n BO2 were so exasperating . i really hope this one with its new engine bring the franchise back …

#50 1 year ago