The Wonderful 101 probably isn’t very long

Tuesday, 30th April 2013 06:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Director Hideki Kamiya has hinted that anticipated Wii U title The Wonderful 101 isn’t an incredibly long experience.

The notoriously straight-shooting developer took to Twitter, apparently unprompted, to mention the game’s length.

“If you hate to finish a game the next day [after] you buy it, you better not play TW101,” he said.

“I focus on how it is fun, not how long it lasts till the ending.”

This has caused a bit of a fuss, so producer Atushi Inaba also jumped on the microblogging platform to air a response, as collated by Siliconera, noting that Kamiya had caused “another bit of controversy”.

“What he is saying is his basic approach to how he creates an action game. The idea is rooted in that you shouldn’t pad your game with content users won’t enjoy in order to control play time to the end of the game. It isn’t something he wants to do, or thinks you should do,” Inaba explained.

“Kamiya is the kind of game director who will pack as much content into the game as he can until he is satisfied. If we were to give in to all of his desires, the game we’d ship would probably be some super-long action game that no one would beat. I’ve been teamed up with Kamiya as his producer for a long time now, and game length is something I’ve never once worried about.

“That means both the length of a single play-through and the replayability of the game. Never worried once. Never. Actually, my job really is to be the one who says ‘This is too %^&* long! Cut it!’”

Inaba said fans had jumped to conclusions in assuming that The Wonderful 101 isn’t a worthwhile purchase despite its length.

“Let me make my own conclusion: TW101 will be so much fun you are going to wear out your Wii U GamePad,” he said. “I’m sorry I can’t explain to you in exact terms why I think you will have so much fun with TW101. I promise there will be plenty of news about the game in the days and weeks to come. But I will say this – Everyone here is working incredibly hard to make sure you say two things about TW101. One: I’m happy I bought a Wii U Two: I’m happy I bought The Wonderful 101.”

The Wonderful 101 was due to appear on the Wii U sometime during its launch window, but is yet to be dated, possibly because Platinum Games had its hands full with Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace, and later Bayonetta 2. We’re now expecting the Pikmin-a-like sometime this year.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. TimX93

Time for another NDirect, time for a new TW101-Trailer!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dragon246

A certain guardian angel said on the page of a certain exclusive on a certain another console that he doesn’t play short games. I am waiting for his comment here.

#2 1 year ago
  3. polygem

omg dragon, you are back and even more pathetic than before? respect! you are obviously talking about me here. i said that regarding beyond…a sony game…how can anyone say something slightly negative about a sony game right? no matter how many times you praise them,i did countless times, criticize just once and you are a traitor for life right? man you r kindergarten “logic”….speechless.
    fanboyish behaviour like yours even hurts sony . noone needs yessayers if you want to improve things.
    that said i can indeed see much more replay value in this one. certainly more than in beyond. “me”, “i”, “in my opinion” if you get that. feel free to disagree but stop, just stop being such a lazy fanboy please.
    you are twisting words again too:”doesn’t play short games”. bullshit. i am playing and loving soundshapes atm. i love god of war….ugh whatever man, no need to argue with you. dragons back, where the fuck is the redesigned vg247 please!

what now, scream for the ban hammer?

#3 1 year ago
  4. polygem

…he trolled me again. unbelieveable….a true pro.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Joe Musashi

I didn’t see anyone naming names. But you felt the comment was directed at you anyway. I think you may be a little oversensitive.

JM

#5 1 year ago
  6. Fin

chill ffs

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

Can’t we all jus’ get along?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dragon246

@JM,
    LOL. I really don’t understand how such oversensitive folks stay on the internet. No need to to respond to them. I wont be surprised if his pals come running now, hilarious indeed.
    By the way, that wasn’t aimed at #3. LB and Clupula should know who is the “guardian angel” I am talking about :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. Lengendaryboss

@Dragon
    Ah Francis, but next time call him “Nintendo official guardian angel”, give him the proper title he deserves :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dragon246

@LB,
    Understood boss :D
    However I would avoid linking a company for now.

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

@JM

It just comes across as totally ‘bitchy’ though.

If your going to make snide comments, you might aswell have the balls to name someone.

Classic bullshit and if anyone calls him on it, he can say… ‘Well I didn’t actually NAME them…’

Typical rabble rousing, @Polygem took the bait, lol :D

In a way it’s good, just shows someone just can’t stop the attitutde everyone said they had before going AWOL.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Clupula

Classic Poe.

#12 1 year ago
  13. OmegaSlayer

Nintendo fans are like North Koreans, they’re few, self reclused into their little world, under developed and threaten people with stuff they don’t even know how to use, but they consider that stuff what makes them superior. :p

#13 1 year ago
  14. polygem

what monkey said. that´s exactly the style. say the name, why playing stupid riddle games? you were talking about me. we both know that very well dragon and if not…doesn´t matter anyway. it´s a sneaky lazy attempt of trolling anyway. exactly the kind of bullshit trolling you always do.
    not being sensitive at all. you are just a pain in the ass and yeah you are constantly getting me with your shit ;) that´s all. my fault too, sure.
    @clupula: i tried to get along a million times at least.

#14 1 year ago
  15. The_Red

Why people either have to love W101 and hate Beyond OR love Beyond and hate W101? Both will probably be short and both look insanely awesome. Also, come on people. Stop these fights.

It doesn’t matter who is right. Nintendo fans are acting like there is nothing wrong with Nintendo and if anyone says anything bad, they must be haters / trolls. Same goes for Sony fans and in the end, we end up fight over games that we may all enjoy.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

BOOSH!

#16 1 year ago
  17. Clupula

Really, I think you two need to call Kenny Loggins.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

…because you’re in the…

DANGER ZONE!!!

#18 1 year ago
  19. polygem

lol

#19 1 year ago
  20. polygem

@15: not hating beyond at all. heavy rain wasn´t my cup of tea. not at all, so i am sceptical about beyond and i probably wont buy it…what i have seen this far really wasn´t for me – but what´s so great about sony is that they have such a variety of different games/ genres on their platform. i must not like or praise every single game they make, just because it is a sony game though.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Joe Musashi

@11 & 14: Or you could just ignore it and move on?

On topic: Platinum are almost exclusively responsible for any interest I have in Wii U at present. The game and its tone look pretty great to me. And my comments regarding the insgnificance of game-length are just as applicable here as they were elsewhere.

JM

#21 1 year ago
  22. Digital Bamboo

Very odd thing for a developer to say about their own game, both from a business/professional/promotional sense and also because it actually doesn’t tell you much about the games length at all.

Who is this “you” he is referring to, and how many hours a day do they play games? Some people play an hour a day, while others play for 12. So the game is between 2 and 24 hours roughly? Ok then.

#22 1 year ago
  23. polygem

game length doesn´t matter if a game is good and you enjoy it and/or if you even enjoy replaying the game. that´s all that matters really.

#23 1 year ago
  24. OnionPowder

Can we truly say the launch window is still going on? The console has launched now and any game coming out now is past the launch window given of ~March. Either way this looks like a pretty cool game and I’ll probably pick it up. I’m more excited for this over Bayonetta 2, mostly because I suck at DMC style action games, :P.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Joe Musashi

@23 @JM: sure, but ignoring isn´t really an option imo. sometimes you´ll have no other chance though…

Nonsense. Nobody holds a gun to your head and forces you to write a response. You do it because you chose to do it. Just as I am choosing to reply now.

Suggesting something ‘isn’t an option’ or you ‘have no other choice’ is just an attempt to remove accountability on your own actions whilst you hold others accountable for theirs.

JM

#25 1 year ago
  26. polygem

what i mean is: TO ME it is not an option. it´s not something i like to do, or in case of ignoring stuff: not to do :)
    ignoring things rarely helps to solve a problem imo. i don´t want to ignore stuff. it´s just not a “solution” imo.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Dragon246

@JM,
    So true. Although not the first time such advice have been dished out to such people. Oh well…

@Polymonkey,
    Kudos! Bravo! You have unlocked the cheevo for getting hurt by comments those are not even aimed at you. Unfortunately I don’t have much time to indulge with beautiful nintendo fans right now.
    By the way, feel free to respond to this by posting another tl;dr paragraph, since not responding is not an option for you :D I have some important stuff to attend to so again, unfortunately I wont be able to respond to your beautiful comments :D
    I just wish you all could see me laughing at this thread :D

#27 1 year ago
  28. Joe Musashi

@26 Then you are helping to perpetuate something you damn others for. You are part of the problem. You should consider yourself as accountable for it as much as anyone else that you accuse.

JM

#28 1 year ago
  29. polygem

@28: i know…look at my post #14 “my fault too” – i know this very well.
    @Dragon: just look at your last post man…you´re still not getting it right? now? no? well then – good luck with your life.
    btw i am doing all this with a smile on my face, not typing this in anger…i cannot believe the arrogance dragon spits out all the time (i am naming you, not saying “such people” and shit like that) but i am shaking my head with a smile. i even invited the dragon to my ps3 friendslist (i don´t think he has a 360:)several times – he´s afraid to do that though it seems…or HE is taking all this way too serious. depends.

#29 1 year ago