Killzone: Shadow Fall – “it doesn’t get much more real” than PS4 reveal

Tuesday, 30th April 2013 04:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

After courting controversy with its “live” Killzone 2 demonstration at E3 2005, Guerilla was determined that its first PlayStation 4 showing would be the genuine article.

“That was one thing where we went ‘Okay, next time around we’re going to be on a stage we’re going to make sure it’s real,’” Guerrilla co-founder Hermen Hulst told Edge.

“We actually made a point of not even claiming it was real, it was as a matter of course that it was real,’ technical director Michiel Van Der Leeuw added.

“I think everybody was onboard with that, there was so much drive for people to make things real. We were working with central in London and the guys in Japan, fixing the firmware to make sure that the Facebook upload would work. It doesn’t get much more real than that.”

Guerilla didn’t even bring a back up video of a playthrough in case something went wrong on the day and the live demonstration failed – something which was quite possible.

“We fixed three bugs in the last day that were very, very rare and only happened like once in a hundred playthroughs, but we knew that three of those bugs were in there. So theoretically, there was like a three in a hundred chance of a crash,” Van Der Leeuw said.

“I was very nervous seeing Stephen playing on stage and a lot of coders here in the Amsterdam office watching live-stream were also really, really nervous. But we made it through.”

Killzone: Shadow Fall was demonstrated live on stage at the February PlayStation Meeting and looked pretty marvellous. We expect the new console during the 2013 holiday period.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. G1GAHURTZ

That’s obvious.

Visuals were next gen, but it looked like a standard shooter, in terms of how it played.

The 2005 fake still looks more impressive than pretty much any other SP FPS, to this day.

#1 12 months ago
  2. CaptPierce

They weren’t lying when people say eye-watering graphics. I mean holy shit, that was one of the best looking games I’ve ever seen, and it’s not even remotely finished.

I’d bolt a titanium door down with a sick orphan if it means getting to play this game. :P

#2 12 months ago
  3. melonbuster1

@1 yes your right .. I want to play it though. Even if it’s the run of the mill fps

#3 12 months ago
  4. Rockin a Jack D

Killzone is a shite IP. Yet, fanboys will declare it the best shooter ever. Halo and Gears are just as bad.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Lengendaryboss

All aboard the negativity train, choo choo :D

#5 12 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

1 ticket please! :)

Im expecting okay graphics, but I hope they sort out the ‘clunky’ gameplay and make it a bit more of a sandbox for gameplay.

#6 12 months ago
  7. nikk900

I’m not a big FPS fan, but I’ve always liked Killzone. I love the co-op story. This looks amazing and along with Infamous: Second Son, I will be getting it at launch.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Erthazus

Killzone is trash. The same trash like Halo. PS4 reveal was nothing special. Compare Killzone:SF visuals to Battlefield 4. Shadow Fall is not even close to Crysis 1. Not to mention current gen Crysis 3

Killzone:SF could be a PS3 title and i’m sure it was planned that way. The only difference now is that game will be in 1080p and maybe 30 frames (LOL) with Anti Aliasing up to 8 or 16 with the best filters available at launch.

don’t touch Gears though. It is a really good TPS in the last gen. :D

#8 12 months ago
  9. redwood

it’ll still be 10X fun than crySHIT

#9 12 months ago
  10. nikk900

@8 and yet I’ll still enjoy it. Why do you feel the need to crap over everything? I really don’t care about what games look better. All I know is, I enjoy Killzone and in my opinion, it looks great.

#10 12 months ago
  11. KAP

There’s always someone on here that feels the need to call out someone’s opinions or say a particular product is shit. It just clearly says something about them without them realising it so in alot of ways, the joke is secretly on them lol.

As for Killzone SP, it looked like how I imagined a PS4 to look like, impressive!
    So that fact along is exciting. @1 said something along the lines of it plays like a FPS….. Duhhh.. No shit?! You got what they were going for.. Congrats bud!

Halo 1 plays like FPS
    Halo 2 plays like FPS
    Halo 3 plays like FPS
    Halo 4 plays like FPS
    COD series plays like FPS
    Battlefield series plays like FPS
    DOOM series plays like FPS…..
    Killzone series plays like FPS.

Get the idea.. ? No.

#11 12 months ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

^ Learn to read.

#12 12 months ago
  13. DrDamn

@G1GA
    It’s too early to make judgements on the game based on what we’ve seen so far though. Given that they would want to demo something setting the scene (i.e an early part of the game) and the points this article makes about wanting to avoid things breaking, I’d say what we were going to see was always going to be fairly safe play wise.

Another quote from the linked Edge article …

“So does the game’s greater scope reflect greater ambition and shifting priorities at Guerrilla, or merely technological advancement? Van Der Leeuw says that “the drive and the reach for a larger environment has to do with more choice, more options, how you traverse being able to play a level in a different way, making it less corridor-y.””

I’d like to see how that pans out.

#13 12 months ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t get me wrong, I agree. I’m not completely writing the game off based on the short demo.

I was just comparing it’s impact with the impact of what they showed in 2005.

The 2005 fake was basically an interactive movie. The ‘AI’ was on another level. You got a sense of immersion that no other game, with the standard, obviously scripted, proximity triggered NPCs, has been able to match with real gameplay, up until today.

What they showed at the PS4 conference had no such effect. It did nothing new, in terms of gameplay, and while it certainly looked very playable, it came across as more of a step, rather than a leap forward.

In short, Shadow Fall doesn’t look like the system selling, killer app that we were promised in 2005.

That’s not necessarily a bad point against it. It could turn out to be a 10/10 game. But, for me, the fact that it was real gameplay was obvious.

#14 12 months ago