Microsoft’s IllumiRoom: Full 5 minute demo showcases the tech’s capabilities

Monday, 29th April 2013 12:14 GMT By Nick Akerman

Fresh on the news that we are likely to receive greater detail about Microsoft’s IllumiRoom tomorrow, a five minute demo showcasing the tech’s capabilities has gone live.

The demo, which is an extended version of the previously released video, highlights numerous effects including snow, lighting, grids, and other ways in which IllumiRoom changes the user’s playing space. Reports continue to suggest that Microsoft is likely to implement the concept into its next Xbox design, although no official confirmation has been granted just yet.

Check out the video right here:

1. Joe Anderson

Sony has similar tech, though no-one seems to mention that, no idea why.

#1 12 months ago
  2. mojo

color me impressed

#2 12 months ago
  3. Belmont

It has suddenly made a return now. It is rather cool and if it becomes a real consumer thing it will probably be another Kinect for Microsoft. The mainstream media will explode but I dont know about its actual worth in real life gaming

#3 12 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

Well fuck me. That really does look fascinating. Definitely has a lot of potential, but I wonder if developers are going to use it or are they going to pull off a Nintendo?

#4 12 months ago
  5. Joe Anderson

Here’s another video from Sony. I like this one

Interesting that they are both working with similar tech. Maybe this is this generations ‘motion control’. There always has to be a gimmick it seems.

#5 12 months ago
  6. minxamo

Well shit, Microsoft made something genuinely interesting and impressive…

#6 12 months ago
  7. JackThomas

Stunning. Can’t wait to try this out.

#7 12 months ago
  8. EdNorton

Good on Microsoft finally putting Kinect to good use.

#8 12 months ago
  9. freedoms_stain

It seems like a nice idea.

But If I had to choose between an Oculus Rift and this, the Oculus would win every time.

#9 12 months ago
  10. EdNorton

@9 – indeed, me too but this is certainly great for casual gamers and when friends and family are over. Looks like an amazing concept. Although Oculus is also a great piece of gaming-geared technology.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Erthazus

I’m not so sure that this will be on the next XBOX at launch because there are issues with the cost of the lenses.

#11 12 months ago
  12. EdNorton

@11 – I’m sure they won’t leave this out of the launch. It would be stupid to introduce it later and become dead like Kinect did.

#12 12 months ago
  13. DrDamn

Nice idea. I thought it worked better where it amplified effects happening on the main screen rather than trying to extend the screen out. The TV/Film application was a bit limited in production and application. For games it’ll be a nice immersive addition for SP games. Don’t think it needs to be bundled. It’s a game enhancer – not applicable to everyone. Including a small projector in every box would be prohibitively expensive.

#13 12 months ago
  14. mistermogul

I’d much rather have this than Kinect. In fact I may be a bit disappointed now if this is not part of nextbox!

#14 12 months ago
  15. EdNorton

@14 – Kinect is the biggest piece of shit ever. As Jeff Gerstman from Giant Bomb said recently in a Game Trailers bonus round I believe, Microsoft didn’t make Kinect to make money, it was to see if it could make money.

#15 12 months ago
  16. DrDamn

Doesn’t this depend on Kinect? It scans the room and works out how it should project stuff doesn’t it?

#16 12 months ago
  17. Belmont

Every single piece of Tech looks cool at its reveal !It will probably end up being a matter of price and support from dev community. Yet I agree that it is a lot more interesting than kinect.

#17 12 months ago
  18. Unlimax

Oh look , looks like someone stoles “someone” ideas . . . Again !

#18 12 months ago
  19. Cobra951

As usual, the assumption is that we are all gaming in the middle of a big room, with the TV 6 feet away or more. This gadget is of no use to me. My gaming and PC monitor sits about 18 inches in front of me at my desk. My field of vision is already mostly filled up by it. I don’t need anything else in the extreme periphery.

#19 12 months ago
  20. lubu

looks great but i prefer only tv/monitor with same old pictures and no magic at all but with lots of games not luxury stuff

#20 12 months ago
  21. Erthazus

Kinect is indeed a piece of shit, but this technology.. I’m impressed.

If Microsoft will implement this thing at launch for their next XBOX, Sony can kiss their butt pretty much. I’m not really sure that MS will include this tech in each box, because lenses are expensive.

#21 12 months ago
  22. PC_PlayBoy

Gimmick…

#22 12 months ago
  23. Moonwalker1982

The Sony videos is some nice trickery if you ask me, no way that’s possible exactly like that.

I’m not sure if MS has stolen this from Sony. And if they did, ok…but let’s see what Sony has ‘stolen’ through the years.

#23 12 months ago
  24. polygem

distracting from mediocore games?

#24 12 months ago
  25. Fin

Looks pretty.

Don’t play in front of a coffee table though :(

#25 12 months ago
  26. NightCrawler1970

I was wondering will it play on this TV? hopefully can installed indoors…

thats what i called BADASS

#26 12 months ago
  27. powerbuoy

I honestly don’t see what’s so impressive? It’s just a projector innit. And the games would need to be made specifically for this thing. Otherwise what will it render outside the screen? I guess it could just draw random stuff in similar colours unless the game tells it otherwise. Pretty sure there was a TV a while back that did the same but with lights.

#27 12 months ago
  28. powerbuoy

Ok having watched the longer video it seems a little cooler than I first thought. But still, whatever’s rendered off screen needs to come from the game right, so are they gonna start rendering TWO images now? Like with 3D that will obviously hit performance.

#28 12 months ago
  29. PEYJ

Well, remembering reading about such a device when some person made a lot leaks last year, it seems that he/she was more or less spot on with this projector thing. With this in mind, it seems likely that Sony soon will show their “omni glasses” to the world.

#29 12 months ago
  30. Malmer

Well I already play on a projector so to me it is kinda useless.

#30 12 months ago
  31. G1GAHURTZ

Nice!

That’s what I’m talking about. I don’t want a same as last gen, but slightly higher res, with a few new effects thrown in, gaming experience for the next gen.

This is the sort of stuff that can make gaming fun and fresh again.

Give me stuff like this, or keep your ‘been there, done that’ games to yourself.

#31 12 months ago
  32. monkeyman

Just another gimmick, why can’t they just concentrate on making great games instead of another gimmicky add on which most people will use for a while & then only get it out to show it to friends aka kinect / move. Sony & ms need to concentrate more on games than stuff like this to be able to survive, I don’t think this is a system selling feature & will add money to a system which they really should ship out as cheap as possible to the consumer.

#32 12 months ago
  33. DSB

I can’t totally decide whether this is terrible or pretty great. The snow thing looks gorgeous, but most of the other stuff looks like it’s meant to explode the brains of kids with ADD or something.

#33 12 months ago
  34. OlderGamer

I don’t think I like it. Wouldn’t know for sure without trying it. But even just watching the video I was getting a headache.

#34 12 months ago
  35. Phoenixblight

Looks absolutely horrible. If this is all MS has to compete for the next xbox they better look somewhere else.

#35 12 months ago
  36. G1GAHURTZ

@34:

LOL!

#36 12 months ago
  37. pwnftw

It would give a significantly unfair advantage to players using it, say with the extended FOV, over those who didn’t shell out the 200-300 bucks for it.

#37 12 months ago
  38. OlderGamer

So does a faster ISP pwnftw. Or a better TV.

I think, like everything else it depends on price vs function. What does the average gamer think? That will matter the most.

#38 12 months ago
  39. DrDamn

I think there are lines to be crossed though. It’s generally acceptable to adjust FoV on PC titles to make things comfortable for the viewer. I used to play Quake 2 in the office and one person adjusted it to have a huge field of view and deleted all the texture files so it looked very bland with bright white other players – he thought this was fine.

In reality I doubt this gives you much more. I was trying to see from the examples whether other players are even shown in the peripheral stuff. If not then it could even be a disadvantage.

#39 12 months ago
  40. OlderGamer

I agree Doc, I don’t see this as being an advantage. But w/o actualy playing on it..who knows. Was just pointing out that other things already offer different players different advantages over less fortunate players. ISP speed can be king in a competetive fps game, for example.

I wasn’t making a case for this illumi thing to be an advantage or not.

#40 12 months ago
  41. theevilaires

I agree with Cobra591 I sit pretty close to the TV because I’m near sighted and I play better closer to the TV. My reactions are quicker that way. Neither Microsoft or SONY won’t sell this to me. I would be more interested in a 4K TV that covered my entire wall instead.

But its a good option for others who like it.

#41 12 months ago
  42. FeaturePreacher

Talk about one of the most useless things to do with expensive tech. Instead of improving kinect to the point where it could see your fingers and become useful for hardcore titles, research goes into a useless light show that does nothing to improve gaming. The PS4 is looking better and better if this is the kind of crap MS is bringing to the next generation.

#42 12 months ago
  43. Templar_Dante

wow, hope you have white walls..

#43 12 months ago
  44. nollie4545

Not my thing. Prefer a good resolution and frame rate on a nice funky computer monitor.

I personally think MS should get and team up with the folk behind the Oculus Rift and make every XBox title compatible with it.

#44 12 months ago
  45. ManuOtaku

I like it, but iam keep waiting for an holographic console, though, but dont get me wrong i think i will dig it.

#45 12 months ago
  46. roadkill

Not impressed. I’ll stick with 3D vision.

#46 12 months ago