Beyond: Two Souls is ten hours long

Monday, 29th April 2013 05:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If you’ve watched the 35 minute clip of Beyond: Two Souls from the Tribeca Film Festival, you’ve seen almost 6% of the entire game.

Speaking during the game’s presentation at Tribeca, Quantic Dream boss David Cage said Beyond: Two Souls is ten hours long.

Cage sounded quite confident in the estimation, which is unsurprising if Beyond: Two Souls is as cinematic and narrative-driven as previous efforts like Heavy Rain.

Interestingly, the developer said that players are more likely to finish games like Heavy Rain which are very much story-driven; 75% of players finished Heavy Rain, up from the usual 20% or so.

“Because people wanted to see the end, they wanted to know what would happen next all this was very important,” he said.

So expect to plough your way through ten hous of Ellen Page when Beyond: Two Souls launches exclusively for PlayStation 3 in October.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Bashtee

I can barely resist the urge to spoil myself with some gameplay vids. But so long until release…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Digital Bamboo

That last sentence sounds a bit dirty. Just sayin’.

#2 1 year ago
  3. woe

Rent it out and return the game same day.

#3 1 year ago
  4. fihar

And people wonder why they want to block used games

#4 1 year ago
  5. KAP

There’s multiple endings so… 10hrs x 3-4 = 30-40hrs.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Phoenixblight

Yep will most likely gamefly and play it and have it back by the end of the week.

Not really you are assuming that with the game the person will watch all the same videos and cutscenes again or that the game will be different every time you start over. I didn’t with Heavy Rain infact after my second playthrough I started skipping the ones I have seen and the fact that the game used the same QTE each playthrough made it that much faster to get through.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Francis O

I Can’t justify spending $60 on this if it’s only 10 hours long. Even with multiple endings… it’s not like it’s a class base RPG or something where you can build your character differently.

There are just too many other games coming out this year that have more value and could be just as good, if not better GTA, Watch Dogs, Pokemon X & Y, ect.

It’s a movie-game hybrid. So I think I’ll treat it like I treat most movies, a rental.

P.S. It looks really cool. I like Harry’s dad from Spider Man 1

#7 1 year ago
  8. Rosseu

That’s probably 15-20 hours to platinum. I was able to do it for Heavy Rain, I’ll probably enjoy this the same

#8 1 year ago
  9. Bruno

“I like Harry’s dad from Spider Man 1″

Oh you kids today…

#9 1 year ago
  10. Joe Musashi

This is a metric that is meaningless. I don’t choose a movie based on running-time or a book based on number of pages either. Given how much padding a ‘big’ game can have that’ll extend its playtime without really adding much value to the gameplay experience, I can’t say I place a particularly high importance on a game’s estimated play time. If the entertainment is engaging and rewarding then that means far more.

With that in mind, as much as I enjoyed Heavy Rain (particularly the remarkable mechanic where the game and narrative continues no matter the fate of the principle characters) I had no compulsion to go through it multiple times.

I don’t know how the gameplay is executed in Beyond, nor how the narrative is structured. So I’m interested to see if they’ve addressed the replayability issue.

JM

#10 1 year ago
  11. Ristas

The value of a game doesn’t have anything to do with it’s length. I wish people would finally understand that.

It’s like saying: “Yeah, well, Transformers has better value than Fight Club because it’s almost three hours long”. You just don’t do that.

#11 1 year ago
  12. polygem

wasn’t interested in this game yet and this information wont help. funny thing is that heavy rain really was my first game on ps3 that i never finished. just not for me. as a videogame it was superboring and as a movie it didn’t deliver either. i want innovation in games but this is definitley not what i want.

@10: a book costs you much less, going to the movies as well. if they’d price this 39.99 that would be a different story but 59.99 or 69.99 for a 10 hour “game”?

#12 1 year ago
  13. cw5th

@12: A movieticket costs about 8$ to 10$ and 90% of all movies are around 1,5hours long…

So 1 hour of movie-entertainment costs around 5,30$.

If we have a game which is 10 hours long it would be 53$ in Movie-entertainment-money. So you’re paying 7 bucks more for a game which you:

1. own(not just seeing once with hundreds of other people)
    2. can play again with a somewhat experience
    3. can sell(2nd hand) for more than half the price you payed

Oh boy what a rippoff…

And this is just for the US. I don’t know how much a Movieticket costs in the UK but in other countrys the movieprices are even higher.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Malmer

10 hours. That’s great. Longer than Heavy rain, but not too long to feel dragged out. Can’t wait!

I guess those who have problems with 10 hour games are teenagers/kids who have lots of time to spend but no money. As an adult with a job the reverse is usually true, and thus I kinda like my games to be around the 10-12 hour range. And this game seems to be aimed at an adult audience.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Beta

Sounds good to me, bring it on :)

#15 1 year ago
  16. polygem

i dont want to pay 70 bucks for a 10h “game” that probably doesnt even have replay value for me. all this based on my experience with heavy rain which i found awful in almost every way. if you disagree thats fine. i have no problem to pay full price for a 10h game if i would be interested in it and if it would offer me some replay value, even if its only replaying it because the gameplay is fun. i couldnt care less about the multiple endings in heavy rain because the story did not get me hooked at all. i am still open minded about beyond but what i have seen this far just leaves me unimpressed. no problem if you disagree…doesnt make me a teenage kid. but statements like that make you look like one actually.

#16 1 year ago
  17. monkeygourmet

It cost a shiny sixpence to go to the Cinema in the UK.

And we have mugs of Tea instead of Coca Cola and Crumpets instead of Popcorn.

:D

#17 1 year ago
  18. polygem

i thought you’d get fish and chips and a huuuuge plastic bottle of cider with every movie in the uk

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

Ha!

#19 1 year ago
  20. polygem

EXACTLY!

#20 1 year ago
  21. stretch215

Looks like another qte fest. Rental.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Shuklar

Would rather spend $60 for 10 hours of creativity than $10-$60 for 100+ hours of mindless farming people for xp online to feel ‘good about myself’ (basically any online shooter).

You’re paying for an interactive story people, and it’s because of this, that it’s in a video game form. That doesn’t mean it has to follow the same tropes of the format.

#22 1 year ago
  23. polygem

@22: sure, but i wouldn´t spend that much on a “game” like this. replay value must not be online mp xp farming only. maybe people even enjoy replaying this game and that´s cool and all. maybe i will fall in love with it too but i doubt it based on my experience with heavy rain.
    i am just not feeling this game. i just watched some trailers and it really made me roll my eyes. this game tries so hard to be over the top, edgy, different, emotional, aimed at young urban hipsters or young urban hipster wannabe´s…it bores the crap out of me.

#23 1 year ago
  24. cw5th

@23:

Right…

Everytime i see Willem Dafoe i immediately think of hipsters.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Eddie Rodrigues

Wait, there are people that didn’t finish Heavy Rain and will get this game… what.

I barely turn my PS3 on so I am not interested in getting for myself, maybe at a friend’s house… The “replayability” although is enourmous

#25 1 year ago
  26. Saroan7

@Shuklar

HIGH-FIVE

100% AGREE WITH YOU

QUALITY>Quantity

Definitely buying this in October!

#26 12 months ago