The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is “an evolution,” not a revamp

Saturday, 27 April 2013 17:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified has not undergone a reboot since being announced in 2010.

Speaking with Shack, 2K Marin VP Alyssa Finley said the third-person squad-based tactical shooter, which will be released later this summer, has instead evolved.

“The game has not restarted over and over again,” said Finley. “If you look back at the game we showed in 2010, you’ll see some of the same enemies, you can see some of the same teammates. This really is an evolution.

“If you remember in 2011, we had already introduced the Battle Focus mode. At the time, we called it Tag Mode, a fully third-person mode where you were pulling back from the battlefield. You would stop time, survey the field, look at your team and enemies, and plan and execute. We’ve been evolving that idea ever since.

“Both Enemy Unknown and our game absolutely live in the same universe. You’ll see some of the same weapons, same enemies. But we are origin story. We’re happening way before the events of that game.”

Earlier this week, XCOM Declassified was re-revealed after going dark for a while, which had fans who anticipated the title worrying it had been canceled. Earlier reports also stated the game may have been retooled after domain registrations related to “The Bureau” popped up online and 2K pulled official videos of the game off it’s YouTube channel.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified will release August 20 on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

Thanks, SplatteredHouse.

Latest