Witcher 3 has “no place for multiplayer”, developer confirms

Friday, 26th April 2013 09:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will not include any form of multiplayer, developer CD Projekt RED has confirmed. There’s simply no place for it as a story-driven experiene, they say.

Speaking with Eurogamer, head of marketing Michal Platkow-Gilewski confirmed that Witcher 3 will not include multiplayer, and added, “There’s no place for multiplayer in so strongly a story-driven game as The Witcher 3. We want to focus on the single-player experience, delivering more than 100 hours of truly immersive gameplay. Geralt can be only one.”

This is probably brilliant news, as I couldn’t personally see multiplayer in Witcher 3 going down well at all. What do you think?

Meanwhile, take a look at these rather ace Witcher 3 images.

1. KAP

News like this gives me hope for gaming. I fuckin dread when “multiplayer” or “map DLC” is mentioned these days. It’s a ploy to rinse money from gamers ultimately. DLC isn’t a dirty word if used in the correct way ala Bioshock Infinite etc…

I still have hope for my hobby still being pure.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Malmer

To be honest I don’t see multiplayer fitting very good in ANY game except for truly multiplayer focused games such as Battlefield. Better to make it shine than have it just for the sake of having it. So this is good news.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

Thanks god. No need to add skill load outs and kill streaks to a massive single player RPG

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

Oh thank fucking Cthulhu.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Takeshi

Faith in gaming devs restored. Thanks CD Projekt RED.

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

How does this game keep getting more and more awesome? Seriously, they are going the exact opposite of crappy modern trends and games.

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

@2, Tbh I think it can work. ME3 MP was fantastic because it was more co-op than MP. ME3 MP is probably one of my favourite things to play.

If CDPR was to do MP, I would still have faith in them to do something awesome with it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. aleph31

I play SP 99% of the time, good to hear this (ME3 MP, L4D being some of the exceptions)

#8 1 year ago
  9. Hybridpsycho

This makes me happy :)

Not that I didn’t see it coming, but still nice to have it verified.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheWulf

It’s disappointing if you actually have a solid social circle. I’m actually beginning to get the feeling that I’m something of a mutant — as not only am I a gamer with a faithful group of friends, but I’m also an introvert. I guess I’m something of a mutant in that regard, or outside of the usual statistics.

So I guess from that perspective it’s a bad thing? It amazes me sometimes how much of a genuinely antisocial creature the gamer is… I forget sometimes. See, I look at Divinity: Original Sin as the natural evolution of the old computer RPG in many ways. It’s a very co-op based experience and I and my group of friends are very much looking forward to playing it together. As such, I actually think that CD Projekt RED are wrong-faced fools for not catering to people with friends. The fact of the matter is is that I have a close-knit social group, and I’d always choose to play something with them than being the basement-dwelling loner.

But then… how many gamers actually have good friends whom they share a lot of their lives with? I’ve even heard of plenty of gamers who distance themselves from their spouse to play games.

I actually want to see statistics, now. I think someone needs to do it.

I’m tempted to run an /r/gaming poll. Very tempted.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheWulf

Have you seen Divinity: Original Sin? It objectively proves you wrong. Just because not many have done it well, yet, and just because it’s been frequently tacked on rather than being a part of the experience doesn’t mean it can’t be done well.

#11 1 year ago
  12. GwynbleiddiuM

@11 True, Diablo 3 also might not be the perfect game we all hoped for but it has one of the most fun co-op multiplayer systems ever.

Although, by multiplayer I think they don’t mean a co-op system of sort. There was a time that co-op multiplayer RPG existed I hope we see those days again.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Vice

Ok now I just might buy this (up from never gonna buy). No multiplayer is always like a “high quality” stamp for me.

#13 12 months ago