The Bureau: XCOM Declassified announced for August 20

Friday, 26th April 2013 08:16 GMT By Dave Cook

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified has been revealed at long last by developer 2K Marin. The troubled shooter will re-surface on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 at $59.99.

Polygon posted the news and the above clip those morning, and confirmed that the game is set in 1962 when the Cold War is at its peak, and covers the the origin story of the XCOM organisation.

Originally the agency is set up to investigate the Soviets, but as William Carter your job quickly escalates as an alien invasion threatens to hammer Earth. The game is real-time third person, but creative director Morgan Gray assured the site that it will still bear tactical squad mechanics.

Said Gray, “What we’re attempting to do is a third-person squad-based tactical shooter. Putting you right there in the field. No more sitting back, watching everything unfold from a god’s eye view.”

He then compared it to the Rainbow Six series and Full Spectrum Warrior and added, “What we’re trying to achieve on the gameplay front is a very tactical … a game that demands skillful play from the player and a game that expects that. In true XCOM fashion, it’s not just your Rambo brawn, but it’s using your brains, your team, the technology at your disposal, creating plans and then executing them.

“There is never a frozen time, you’re always making snap decisions,” he said. “To use a sports analogy: It’s more about calling audibles then huddling. We are trying to emulate the fantasy of being the squad leader out in the battlefield versus the commander sitting at the desk who has all of the time in the world observing from afar.”

Well there you have it, finally. What do you think of the above? Does it sound like the makings of a strong XCOM game? Let us know below and be sure to scroll down for some debut images.

1. Moonwalker1982

Ah come on, a live action trailer? There goes my hope for a in-game trailer. And August 20th? That sure came out of the blue, was actually expecting it to be next-gen.

#1 12 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

Wow, usually I despise live action trailers, but that was just beautifully shot and edited.

I’m not too attached to the XCOM brand, so the shift in tone and setting doesn’t bother me too much. The only thing that bothers me about this is the arm bracelet, looks too much like a pipboy. I know, it’s a little thing, but why is it even there?

#2 12 months ago
  3. Moonwalker1982

He compares it to Rainbow Six and Full Spectrum Warrior though..man please let this one succeed!

#3 12 months ago
  4. Edo

@2 Yeah I agree and now I want this to be a movie or at least a TV show.

#4 12 months ago
  5. PurpleTeletubby

Yeah, this trailer looks cool, hopefully we get a full reveal soon. With the game having so many delays and hiccups over the past years it seems alittle sudden to just have this game come out of the blue, my fear is its being rushed out, would like to see that not be the case

#5 12 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

@3: Yeah, that sounds very promising.

@4: Yep, that would be awesome.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Ali

I am totally in !!!

#7 12 months ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

Indeed. That’s my worry too. Out of nowhere they re-reveal it and the release date is actually not so far away. We’ll have to wait and see.

#8 12 months ago
  9. aleph31

I’m in, I like the idea a lot (UFO: Enemy Unknown hardcore fan talking here, and one of the very few who was a bit disappointed with the dumbing down of the all-praised XCOM reboot)

#9 12 months ago
  10. TheWulf

Idiots.

Why keep XCOM in the title at all? At all? See, I won’t be able to get away from IP rape, now. I won’t be touching this with a barge pole. If they’d just called it The Bureau: Declassified then I’d be happy. Why XCOM? Why the hell do they need to slip XCOM in there? That’s painfully dumb.

Well, I won’t be buying this one even if it does look interesting to me. I have to stick by my standards, and those standards are that I just don’t and won’t support IP rape. If you’re not going to stay close to the lore, philosophy, and world of an IP, then just make a bloody new IP.

#10 12 months ago
  11. EdibleKnife

I don’t see what the issue is. I assume you’ve heard of ‘brand recognition’. From the start this was supposed to be the first and only next gen XCOM game. The fact that it was an XCOM game hasn’t changed even though Enemy Unknown came out. Now even it helps because XCOM is now a franchise and a big gaming name again with 2 unique games coming out this gen. There’s nothing dumb about it. They’d be stupid to start from scratch with a new IP about alien hunting when they have a hot IP about alien hunting already.

#11 12 months ago
  12. stretch215

@11 +100. I laughed a little when I read #10. What a rebel.

#12 12 months ago
  13. OnionPowder

This game has always held a special place in my heart and I am so happy that it’s making a comeback.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Max Payne

But will there be exploration or just shooting :P

#14 12 months ago
  15. ojinnvoltz

How can a game that only existed to the public before as a single trailer hold a special place in your heart. It’s like saying a lot of billboards your drive past have a special place in your heart.

I totally support what you’re saying. I liked DMC reboot, but I’m not going to give Capcom and Ninja Theory any money for it. It’s weird that 2K decided to bring back the X-Com brand; it only had cachet with people who played PC games in the 90′s. But don’t just disregard a game because of the name. At least pirate it and give it a shot.

#15 12 months ago
  16. OnionPowder

@15 Because I’ve read interviews and I can visualize the concepts they are working on vividly. Based on what the goals of the developers are I can see myself liking this game immensely. That’s how it holds a special place in my heart. This is that one title that I’ve always just thought sounds like a game I’d love and I’ve been hoping it’d see the light of day.

#16 12 months ago
  17. YoungZer0

@11: +1 for thinking like an adult.

#17 12 months ago
  18. DSB

What worries me is that the game has gotten stuck in development hell. Usually that has a certain impact on the quality.

That, and of course the fact that it has at no point been recognizeable as an X-COM game does make the branding seem a bit weird. But then X-Com has been raped a few times before in the 90′s.

I don’t get why 2K insists on mixing apples and pears like that at this point. XCOM: EU was a succes, the brand is now worth something to them. If this turns out to be bad, they could be dragging down a property that is really well respected at the moment.

#18 12 months ago