Next Xbox: report notes DRM, sharing, Achievements revamp

Friday, 26th April 2013 18:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Another day, another batch of Xbox rumors have landed on the Internet.

According to a Polygon source, Achievements are being revamped so that developers and publishers can add more to a game post launch – without DLC if need be.

This will allow developers to “tweak player behavior,” like for example: having them spend more time in certain areas of the game or to help them “get past a difficult spot.” The report also states that the new Xbox could also contain “cross-platform” and “cross-title” Achievements.

There also won’t be a cap on the number of Xbox Live friends a person can have, and supposedly, folks will be able to follow one another – sort of like on Twitter.

Other nuggets gleaned from the report include a video sharing system which will act similar to a DVR and record user gameplay to share on YouTube. Those who feel like sharing their session can go into the video and select highlights to edit. This function can be turned on and off or set up automatically.

The console will also have “some form” of always-on requirement to support apps, streaming video services, and act as a possible anti-piracy tool.

Take all this as rumor, as usual, until Microsoft finally announces the console on May 21.

1. woe

Why did you leave this out?

Under Microsoft’s current guidelines, which may still be changed, the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection, will be left up to individual publishers.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Belmont

I mean no fanboyism. Social features appear very similar to that of PS4(judging by these reports). Trophy ideas are interesting. Yet again nothing hard to implement on every single device out there.

#2 12 months ago
  3. CyberMarco

@1 – “It will also support digital rights management and anti-piracy checks through an Internet connection. This could come in the form of a one-time authentication or a constant connection – depending on the publisher.”

#3 12 months ago
  4. Clupula

Woe works hard for his money.

#4 12 months ago
  5. The_Red

MS giving publishers the OPTION of always-online. Now, when they use it, MS will say publishers chose it, not us. Still, those always-online will have titles will have horrible launch weeks. Imagine if the next COD and BF had the same first week as SimCity and Diablo 3 or most MMOs (Where publisher usually doesn’t have enough servers).

#5 12 months ago
  6. woe

@4 Ask your sister

#6 12 months ago
  7. woe

@2 The leaked documents from 3 years ago had already mentioned this stuff

#7 12 months ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t care about the DRM stuff anymore…

It’s all pointless rumour and speculation.

People should just learn to wait until the official unveiling.

#8 12 months ago
  9. DrDamn

Interesting point on the video capture is being able to turn it on/off and also only enabled for trigger events (headshots for example). Quite nice.

Publisher decided internet connection requirement is an interesting one. If MS support it I wonder if Sony might also be forced down that route. Though Sony managed to be region free for PS3 (bar one title) and MS went the publisher option route this time around.

These funky features like video capture, games installing as you play etc I would expect MS to do them better (at least at first). The 360 OS was just so impressively forward thinking. I think Sony have caught up a lot too though. The Vita OS is very nice for a lot of stuff like task switching etc. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

#9 12 months ago
  10. ninjanutta

always on internet is total crap..if true,many millions of people without internet would be unable to have the console meaning multi millions of lost revenue for M.S….Never going to happen

#10 12 months ago
  11. The_Red

The problem with always-online is not about people without internet. It’s about all the people WITH internet trying to connect to MS servers to validate their singleplayer games and having to wait in bullshit queues because servers are full.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Erthazus

Always Online DRM for a console is just stupid.

PC is the most connected device on earth and we all know how gamers love DRM.
    windows tried DRM with Windows 7 and 8 activation and how well it was recieved MS? No one gives a F.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Clupula

@6 – My sister is not Major Nelson.

#13 12 months ago
  14. fearmonkey

I suspect that we will see this kind of thing on the PS4, as I would bet money that EA and Acitivision are involved with this decision.

Remember a few years ago when the rumor was that Call of Duty would require a subscription, and Pachter even came out saying its going to happen. Well, this is essentially forced subscriptions.
    A call of duty game could only be online, no used sales, so to play its about the new purchase. I am betting Sony will have something like this as well. This would also help with bringing MMO’s to the consoles.

For EA, Fifa, Madden, and all those Sports titles will probably be like this as well.

Ubisoft might try doing it on Assassins creed as well.

New IP will probably not have this happen though.

This is very anti-consumer, driven by the large publishers, and I hope that there is a backlash on those games that try and incorporate it.

#14 12 months ago
  15. KAP

Essentially what your stating is this DRM news is getting so on your tits that you’d wish it on PS4 gamers too lol
    Hey bud, just grin and bare it, you’ll be buying into this dreadful idea. While PS4 owners won’t.

It’s funny how these comments via this news is hardly negative.. So funny.

#15 12 months ago
  16. CyberMarco

“This could come in the form of a one-time authentication or a constant connection – depending on the publisher.”

If this is true, I can’t see, let’s say EA implementing always-on connection for FIFA on the XBOX and not on the PS4, it would be an instant fail for Microsoft, unless EA implements those features on the PS4. We’ll have to wait and see, less than 4 weeks…

#16 12 months ago
  17. ps3fanboy

yet again more proof that xbox are getting always on drm…. enjoy taking it up the bum again xbox suckers, hahahaha!

#17 12 months ago
  18. Bruno

you think that’s bad? what about how the ps4 has a usb anal probe that needs to be inserted at all times to keep the unit powered up? I just said it on the internet and you can’t disprove it, therefore it’s true.

#18 12 months ago
  19. Templar_Dante

Do we edge closer into a new generation of DLC? namely, Burger King/Pizza Hut/Mountain Dew/ Doritos Achievements? I hope not. Given the fact with Dashboard ads MSFT found a way to nickel and dime the weary gamer, surely the worst is yet to come whenever any new avenue is ventured into when the bottom line and financial possibilities rules the roost.

Sad day for gamers,
    I picture, Horse Armour 2.0 at the start of next gen.

#19 12 months ago
  20. miaouss

I hate achievements, that kind of stuff is good for 12 years old.

#20 12 months ago
  21. Djoenz

Ads might be acceptable if they were solely about games etc. not useless shit that has nothing to do with gaming.

#21 12 months ago
  22. Telepathic.Geometry

Not sure I like this achievements/trophies changing business. Make your mind up and fuck off I say. It would be nice to let the gamers delete achievements/trophies though, or maybe let them choose to display certain achievements/trophies…

#22 12 months ago
  23. polygem

@19,20,21,22: i couldn´t agree more!

trophies and achievments are here to stay. many gamers seem to like them – i don´t – that´s ok, but i would prefer to play my games without them. seriously. if i can´t do that, i would at least like to get a little control over this system, i would like to decide if i want to make them visible to everoyne, or just friends, or only myself or noone at all. i hope we will get these options on the ps4 and/or nextbox. i really do. it´s not the end of the world -the trophies and all- but i just like my games pure. just like fries. no ketchup or mayonnaise for me…salt and vinegar is a different story though ;)

ads are only tolerable if DIRECTLY related to gaming. that does not include headphones, coke, pizza and so on. if ms will keep going that route they can truly fuck themselves and i really really hope gamers will show them that they went too far…

#23 12 months ago
  24. Telepathic.Geometry

@polygem: I strongly suspect that there will be options this time around to a) choose who can see your trophies; b) choose when your trophies pop (i.e. immediately, after you quit your gaming session, etc.) c) delete certain trophies so you can go and collect them again if you’re replaying a title; d) disable them completely.

I’d be all for these options because they would make everybody happy.

#24 12 months ago
  25. polygem

@TG: i really hope so…

#25 12 months ago
  26. G1GAHURTZ

What sort of person gets upset about getting an achievement?

Small FL having, competition hating sorts, I suppose…

‘Oh look, an achievement, because I did something in a game. It makes me sad. I don’t want anyone to see it…’

You lot make zero sense.

#26 12 months ago
  27. stretch215

@26 I was thinking the same thing. I also don’t understand why people are mad about the ads on the dashboard. You know, the ones in a 2″x 2″ square? Hardly a reason to skip a platform, imo. Ads will only bother me if they start putting them in my games.

#27 12 months ago
  28. CPC_RedDawn

Can’t wait to watch the live stream (or TV program as its going out live on TV in the USA). I want to watch it because I want to see what they do, and if they do announce an “Always on” DRM for games to work (if its just apps that’s not so bad) but if they do announce it I want to watch the viewers turn off and watch the viewing counter shoot down and watch twitter,facebook, reddit, and forums around the world go completely ape shit and get DDoS’d everywhere with angry fans.

Or they could not announce it, and focus on Kinect, sharing features, social aspects of the machine, and still watch the viewing figures shoot down with people bored out of their minds!

#28 12 months ago
  29. Telepathic.Geometry

@26: Don’t be ignorant man. People not liking cheevos appearing are well within their rights. Me, I like ‘em, but maybe you don’t want the mood breaking distraction in the middle of a game like Journey or Ico, maybe you don’t want your friends to know how far into your game you are, or when you completed whatever portion. Again, me, I don’t care but privacy issues are important if people wanna keep that shit to themselves.

#29 12 months ago
  30. G1GAHURTZ

^ Not a single one of those examples are valid.

1. On 360, all notifications can be turned off.

2. If you don’t want your friends to know about your gaming, you can simply unfriend them, or play on an offline account.

They are nonsensical, as is the dislike of something so easily ignored into insignificance.

It’s not about being ignorant, it’s about being sensible and rational.

People who complain about this sort of stuff are lacking in basic logic skills.

#30 12 months ago
  31. Telepathic.Geometry

You are lacking in basic logic skills. The two points you have mentioned do NOT address my issues. If you can’t see that then either you’re being deliberately obtuse or you are close-minded.

#31 12 months ago
  32. polygem

i don´t hate achievements i just don´t need them. if they stay that´s fine, i don´t mind, i am not complaining. if i could turn them off i will do that and i would love to get that option, that´s all. i want to enjoy the game, i do not need an achievement system for the extra carrot in front of my face or to show off things to my “friends”. i am not upset. just my opinion and yeah i am not into competitive sports, never was, even though i am a sporty guy. i did run some marathons, i swim but i just do that for myself, never run against a timer – i think it is plain stupid. competiton for the fun of it is cool and all but if people are getting too serious it just makes me laugh. the human ego. lol.
    the ads though, they are shit. if people will really tolerate the logical next step of all this (even more ads on a paid service and ingame ads) i am speechless really.
    it will show what type of consumers gamers really are. then they deserve fifa, cod, assassins creed for the rest of their lifes.

#32 12 months ago
  33. G1GAHURTZ

@31:

It’s obvious that you’re not being sincere in stating your non-existent point, so I’m not going to waste my time with your childish behaviour.

Achievements can easily be completely ignored.

There’s nothing that you can say that can change that simple fact.

@32:

You can turn off all achievement notifications, so that you never have to know that they even exist.

There’s also absolutely nothing forcing you to look at your achievement record, or anyone else’s.

If all you want to do is play games, you can turn off all notifications, and set your 360 to boot to game, instead of the dashboard.

Problemo solved.

#33 12 months ago
  34. polygem

sure i can do that already but i would like to see it going a bit further. not using the dash at all really isn´t a good solution btw. not acceptable…but like i said, if those systems stay the way they are now that´s ok, i will do what i am doing now: just not caring much about it. i wont tolerate more (non gaming related) ads though, that´s for sure. i really enjoy playing games on the 3ds and i enjoyed playing on the wiiu while i had it because it lacked achievements. miiverse as an online social system is much better than psn or live. it´s more about sharing things and having fun, less about competition, i personally prefer that style, i understand that some people don´t and that´s ok.

#34 12 months ago
  35. Telepathic.Geometry

@33: Dude, why does it have to be all or nothing? Why can’t you see that even if you don’t care, other people do. You are suggesting that we either have them switched on alway, you can’t control when they pop or who can see them OR we switch them off completely.

That opinion is too extreme. Like them or not, achievements and trophies are popular with a lot of gamers. There are sites dedicated to tracking the stats and displaying your hardest earned victories. So naturally people would like options.

YOU don’t care, YOU are happy with the way they are now, but other people would like them to evolve a bit. Where’s the harm? It’s not like those people are marching the streets or threatening to throw their NextBox out the window if it isn’t updated. What exactly is your objection to updating cheevos? Why must it stay just the way it is now, can you tell me that? Why resist change?

Don’t say because it’s unnecessary though. Gaming is unnecessary according to non-gamers, and they don’t understand why we game at all. Of course it’s unnecessary but it might be more fun if we could control those things more.

#35 12 months ago
  36. G1GAHURTZ

^ Where exactly did I say that they shouldn’t be updated?

Which comment?

#36 12 months ago
  37. Telepathic.Geometry

Well, you seemed to be saying that people who complain about the way the system is right now are bonkers, but if you’re telling me now that you have no problem with the system being updated then I obviously misunderstood you. Apologies.

#37 12 months ago
  38. G1GAHURTZ

No worries. I don’t have any problem with everything being updated, and more choice and options being available.

Actually, I fully expect that to be the case, and would probably be somewhat disappointed if it’s not.

If MS just rolled out the same old XBL, with the same old features, I’d probably seriously consider ditching the 720, and going purely PS4.

All I was saying was that the functionality to make achievements ‘disappear’, for want of a better word, already exists. So, for me, it doesn’t make any sense for someone to say that they have a negative effect on their gaming experience.

It’s like an instruction booklet in the DVD case of any game. It’s there, and almost every game comes with one, but apart from an old version of FIFA, I don’t think I’ve ever even opened one before. With most games that I’ve bought, I didn’t even take it out of the case.

So if someone came along now, and complained about instruction booklets, and how they wished that they could buy games without them, because they make games worse, I’d probably say the same thing.

#38 12 months ago
  39. Telepathic.Geometry

Cool, we’re on the same page now so. However, the point is to have ‘selective’ deletes. Say I’m playing through a game again and I want to challenge myself to do a stealth run, or a non-lethal run, or whatever, it might be nice to have the trophies pop to let you know you pulled it off.

Or in my case, there are shit games I started playing and instantly want to sell on, but that trophy list has already popped. Sounds crazy, but I have a long list of games on my trophy list, so anything I could do to unclutter that list by deleting the undesirables would be welcome.

The instruction booklet analogy works if you have a European one where the booklet comes in several languages, and someone said “I like having the manual, but this thing is a beast, please only include the English manual in the UK and Irish markets please!”. Which I would say is a reasonable request.

#39 12 months ago
  40. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not sure about being able to make achievements pop up as many times as you like, although theoretically, the information that you gave in your examples could simply be given in-game. However, I do agree about removing unwanted games from your list.

You can do that on 360 with games with 0 gamerpoints earned, but any more than that, and you’re stuck with them.

Having said that, the amount of internet rage potentially being spewed, because ‘MS won’t give me my achievements back after my little brother deleted them’ isn’t a pretty thought.

#40 12 months ago
  41. polygem

achievement unlocked: successfully turned off achievement system

#41 12 months ago