Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut for PS3 most pre-ordered game for Rising Star

Friday, 26th April 2013 15:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rising Star Games has announced that Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut for PS3 is its most pre-ordered game to-date. According to a statement given to MCV, the horror title’s pre-order number exceeded those of the Xbox 360 version tenfold. “The game has easily surpassed our expectations for day one orders,” said product marketing manager Yen Hau. “It further demonstrates that the cult status we built up for the game two years ago is still going strong and I’m absolutely overjoyed that PS3 owners can finally experience this gaming gem.” Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut released earlier this week in North America and is out today in the UK.

1. psxman

Mine arrived today.

Already I’m seeing split minds (Official PS magazine gave it a 4/10, whilst PSAccess loved it)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Chaos Spectre

I wish this was on PC. I’d drop money in a heartbeat for this amazing game.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Clupula

Still haven’t decided on whether or not to pick this up yet. Leaning towards yes, because I tend to like weird things, but I’m not sure if I should just wait…or if it’ll become uber rare if I don’t.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

Played it for 2 hours now and … hm, this is rougher than most alphas. I dunno what they were thinking with this so called “Director’s Cut” but optimizing sure as hell wasn’t one of their priorities. Hell, I’ve seen Alphas of mods that run better.

It still isn’t interesting right now.

The beginning was terrible.

The game is ugly as hell, plays like a brick and just feels unfinished in nearly every aspect. Characters having completed their sentence, standing around for another 2-3 seconds, staring into nothing. Odd dialogs ending abruptly, gameplay that feels unfinished and odd, weird nightmare creating facial animations, loading times for the most basic things. Copy Pasta Graphic for nearly every object. Clipping errors, graphical errors and lag. Lag. Lag. Lag.

Don’t pay more than 20 Euros for it. It isn’t worth it. That’s probably what the dev thought too, because they didn’t seem to have put any work into it.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

So, any opinions besides YoungZer0′s? He and I don’t seem to agree on most games, so I’m curious as to what other people think.

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

@5: To be fair most of my criticism isn’t just an opinion. The game really is heavily flawed. It really angers me that they apparently took the time to work on this so called “director’s cut” and yet didn’t even bother to fix most of the issues. It looks like a PS2 game and lags from the very first cutscene. I’m not exaggerating here.

I’m really confused as to why they even have combat in this game. It doesn’t fit the style, nor the narrative. It’s like a poor mans RE4 in a poor mans Silent Hill. The rest of the gameplay isn’t good either. The Profiling is nothing more than collecting stuff in a certain area. The main character does the conclusion.

In one scene you can conduct an autopsy (without gloves mind you). All you had to do is tap X twice on the face (you couldn’t analyze anything else) and the main character forms a conclusion.

I didn’t even scratch the surface of all the thing that are wrong with this game.

#6 1 year ago
  7. FrayJoker

The game is poorly made, but it is playable. It’s not like Superman 64 where you’re struggling with game killing glitches every few minutes. But the fun isn’t in the game itself, it’s in the characters, the writing, what it pays homage to. The general bat shit insanity of the game.

Things you come across
    - A guy who eats the “sinners sandwich” a delectable combination of turkey, an unspecified breakfast cereal and jam.
    - A protagonist who constantly talks to his invisible friend down his sleeve jacket and uses coffee to predict the future. He’s in the FBI of course.
    - A massive boss fight against a crossdressing antagonist in a clocktower during a storm.
    - Sleeping on a random mattress in a graveyard to save your game
    - Stuffing fish down your pants and eating cans of pickles whole.

What makes this game a cult classic is that it’s like Suda 51 made a game based on the 90s crime drama, Twin Peaks. It has a surrealist streak of humour to it, combining shoddy laughable survival horror segments with what is more akin to an open world dating simulator. There’s nothing about this game that’s sensible.

And basically if any of that sounds like fun to you, you are just the sort of person who will like this game.

That said, Something Awful’s review of the original release of the game says it better than I can. http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/deadly-premonition-review.php

#7 1 year ago