Zelda 3DS has a ’2′ in the title, has been in development since 2011

Thursday, 25th April 2013 12:54 GMT By Dave Cook

The Legend of Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma has stated that the recently-revealed 3DS follow-up to A Link to the Past has been in development since 2011 and word has it the Japanese title has a 2 at the end, suggesting that it could be a proper sequel, rather than a spiritual successor.

We all know the ills of taking translations as gospel, so please don’t treat the number ’2′ as an outright confirmation for now, but Siliconera reports that the game does have a ’2′ at the end in Japan, and recapped Aonuma’s presentation of the game in a Japan-only edition of Nintendo Direct.

He confirmed the game had been in the works since 2011, and said, “The world of Hyrule has been reborn in a highly realistic stereoscopic vision, which will feature a new story and new puzzles to be solved. The development for the successor of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is going smoothly, so, please look forward to it.

“The day we’ll be seeing the successor is still further ahead, but for those of you who wish to contribute or show your support, please comment on the Wii U The Legend of Zelda series community [on Miiverse].”

You can check out ten minutes of the new game via this trailer. What do you think?

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. manamana

Instabuy!

2. locus2k1

The overworld screen comparisons shown earlier this week/last week

if this isn’t just a prototype stage then we could really be going back to the LTTP Hyrule! :)

bah, my html “skills” fail as always: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18kxud09vq01epng/original.png

3. mistermogul

Can. Not. Wait.

4. OlderGamer

Just another reason to buy a 3DS.

5. Cobra951

@2: Thanks for that image. ALttP Hyrule it is. I thought I was dome with handheld systems. This will make me reconsider.

6. Ljink

Just how many reasons is there to buy a 3DS? HOW MANY!? The thing is getting all the attention lately. Well done Nintendo. Its games really show what 3DS is all about. Just toss out the 3D…

7. lexph3re

I am still reserving on this game. I Absolutely LOVE LttP. However, looking at this part 2… It doesn’t have the look that I loved about the original. Maybe my interpretation of the original is off from what they really wanted to do. But, it seems lighter and happier.

The older one was much darker. I hope to see more footage on this later though.