Nvidia PhysX trailer shows off real-time water physics

Thursday, 25th April 2013 12:31 GMT By Dave Cook

Nvidia has released a new PhysX trailer, this time showing off convincing water effects that react to objects in real-time, all running on a single GTX 580. First AMD’s TressFx tackled hair, now Nvidia is working on water. What’s next?

What do you think? Is this impressive? How could it be used in games moving forward? Let us know what you think below.

Thanks GamesHQMedia.

1. SeWICX

That’s some nice Graphics right there! I can’t wait for these physics on my PS4 hopefully :P

#1 1 year ago
  2. EdNorton

Wow. Hopefully we see these water effects in next-gen games, particularly Uncharted.

#2 1 year ago
  3. GetUpKidAK

TressFX is an AMD tech…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Mad_Al

Although a really nice Video, it appears the writer assumes Tress FX was PhysX, it wasn’t it was AMD’s baby, This water demo is from Nvidia.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 Hey mate, I see what you mean. I knew AMD did TressFX, but I’ve amended the above to make what I meant clearer. Thanks for the heads up :)

#5 1 year ago
  6. KAP

It’s all fine and dandy now but add character models, textures, worlds and all the numerous things to make up a game and these physics won’t react like they do in the video. So much more would go wrong.

#6 1 year ago
  7. EdNorton

@6 – you can achieve these physics in PC gaming, although not many games has showcased all the tech demos in action we’ve been seeing lately. I’ll accept something like the above video in next-gen gaming, especially in the PS4 considering its power.

#7 1 year ago
  8. MadFingerz

That’s really nice physics but it still isn’t spot on. For example, at the beggining when the water splashes on the walls it shouldn’t come cascading down like that, looking almost gluey. It should kind of space out and spatter in a rainy sort of way. With that said, truly realistic water physics is an almost insane goal.

#8 1 year ago
  9. AppleRedX

Both nice technologies with one big difference.

TressFX was developped by AMD and Squenix and it’s an open technology so anybody can use it. It runs on AMD and NVIDIA GPUs.

PhysX is an NVIDIA technology and it runs only! on NVIDIA GPUs. So the number of games supporting it in the PC world is pretty small.

With PS4/Xbox720 using AMD GPUs the odds in the future aren’t very good for PhysX.

Whats next? BoobFX

P.S.: Well, one small correction. PhysX could also run on CPU but the performance doing that is abysmal.

#9 1 year ago
  10. CyberMarco

Yet another technology that wont be implement correctly in future games…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Beta

Very nice, I love me some water tech ;)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Goffee

So, will whoever redid that poorly received water-based adventure/FPS/whatever go back and do it properly now?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Beta

@12 Hydrophobia was it?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Panda

Wow, i am quite amazed (especially from the demo in 1:05 min). Hope this will be implemented in future Games more often. Just imagine a max payne or hitman shootout in a chinese restaurant with lots of fish tanks =D

that would be sooo epic

#14 1 year ago
  15. roadkill

Hole s**t! :D

#15 1 year ago
  16. powerbuoy

@14 that would be awesome. Here’s an older demo featuring a fishtank (sans fish) and bullets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zPjIXXSqw

#16 1 year ago
  17. Chaos Spectre

That is great and all, but I’m not buying an Nvidia card for it. My AMD is just as if not more powerful than most of your cards for practically half the price.

#17 1 year ago
  18. DSB

Maybe that’s why AMD are going belly up at the moment.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Sini

brain got a hard on

#19 1 year ago
  20. FeaturePreacher

Am I the only one who noticed the lack of adhesion with the water and the models? I guess nVidia has a long way to go before they can model water’s surface tension. I guess they have even further to go before they can model its states of turning into vapor or ice.

#20 1 year ago