PES 14 creative producer talks new features, FOX Engine & physics

Wednesday, 24th April 2013 08:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Pro Evolution Soccer 14 creative producer Kei Masuda has explained why he hopes that new features and Hideo Kojima’s FOX Engine will help the latest entry in Konami’s footie series shine this year.

Speaking with OPM, Masuda said of PES 14, “Our ultimate goal is to let you win with the team you love. If we can make a giant-killing possible, it’s a huge difference to FIFA”. He also reflected on some of the key areas in which PES fell behind, thanks to the switch between PS2 and PS3, most notably online play.

He added, “Our biggest struggles were with online play. As we moved to PS3, EA changed its engine, but ours was based on the PS2 game. We only brushed up on animation and some of the AI features.”

But this year will be different he said, thanks to the game running on Hideo Kojima’s FOX Engine, new ‘barycentre’ physics – which is where each player has realistic body physics on and off the ball – more first touch and control techniques, a greater field of movement and much more.

It all sounds rather promising. What do you you think Konami needs to do in order to hack the legs out from underneath FIFA 14? Do these new features make for a good start? Let us know below.

1. Stardog

The fact that it’s still a PS2 game is the main problem.

But the Master League is still better than FIFA, apart from the crappy transfer window (Make offer > Wait 2 weeks for them to say no > Transfer window now over > Reload previous saved game). Too bad most people probably don’t even play it. They prefer to just go online as Barcelona/Real Madrid.

#1 1 year ago
  2. SameeR_Fisher

I am not so sure but didn’t they say the same regarding PES 2013 ?!

Anyway I don’t play football, but PES used to be my fav. back on PS2, so I will keep an eye on what they can do.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Superfrog

Another out-of-context tabloid headline on VG247, that’s embarrassing.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 You say it like it’s a regular thing, which it isn’t.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

Why do that crap. :( I don’t even care if it’s a regular thing or not. It still ought to be beneath you. That one’s irritated me. For just, how blatant that is. Do you WANT anybody to talk you, all the while they have to be aware that anything they say, can and will be used according to your whim, context-be-damned? I agree with #3, that should be embarrassing!

You’re actually trying to defend it? I don’t have a large enough spade to offer you…
    Are you thinking as little of readers that they need artificially inflated sensationalism, before they’re willing to investigate what you’ve written?

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

Seriously though, what does that headline have to do with what was actually said?

Anyway, my money is still on FIFA. If PES gets a decent demo and it actually makes me think “wow, that was great!” I might give it a go.

This gen PES lost it completely and I think FIFA is right to have dominated the football scene. Konami need to step up their game so much but due to how good I know the series CAN be, I won’t ever write them off.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dave Cook

Right fine, I’ll change it. Point taken, apologies and so forth.

EDIT: also I have to point out that this wasn’t an attempt to spin for hits, it was an attempt to liven up a pretty dull story with some colour. Yes, on reflection it muddies the message and was probably foolish, but I have to make clear that no ill-intent was on my mind when I wrote it. THAT is what’s beneath me.

#7 1 year ago
  8. anik_lc

“Konami calls for FIFA14′s head on a plate” LOL
    Amazing heading Dave. :thumbs up:

@2, Sameer you play Football games? :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. viralshag

Dave I hate to nag, but have you actually read the quotes and the article?

If it’s a dull story just have a dull headline, “PES 14 to introduce “giant-killing” features”.

It’s not saying it will be “a” giant-killer…

Whatevs, your site, your headline.

#9 1 year ago
  10. anik_lc

@9, news sites needs to do some attractive headlines so that more people come regularly. Its called journalism. ;)

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

@9 “Whatevs, your site, your headline.”

There’s no need for that man. I was literally confused as to what the problem was here, but I’ve just re-read it and I get what he’s saying now.

If I’m right in thinking on this, he’s actually saying that you will be able to win with any team, so say some crappy pub team versus Man U – which is where the ‘giant killing’ line comes from.

Is that how you read it?

Also, disclaimer – I’m only human, we can read things differently. My bad, I’m not here to fuck readers about, you should know that by now. I’ll happily take criticism and fix errors, so in that regard, thank you for pointing this out.

#11 1 year ago
  12. SplatteredHouse

@9 exactly. I read that as Konami talking about play during a match, there. I supposed they were talking about the importance of player skill in their new game, being able to overcome any statistical difference between two teams. (much like Dave realised and suggested above – #11)

#12 1 year ago
  13. viralshag

@Dave, Yeah, that’s how I read it and the others here I believe.

He is saying FIFA is a top two or three club game (which is somewhat true). And that’s purely because of the statistical rating of players and clubs, unless you have a major imbalance of player skill Brentford would not beat Man U.

But PES will hopefully take into account other factors such as “home crowds, mental strength and advanced tactics” to offer a more balanced approach.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dave Cook

@13 cheers, I know literally nothing about playing football games. This all makes sense now, amendments above.

#14 1 year ago
  15. SplatteredHouse

that was odd. Sorry Dave, for “going off on one”, to that extent.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dave Cook

@15 it’s OK man, just know that if every I’ve done something daft or to annoy anyone here, it isn’t intentional, and I mean ever. Flag it up, and I’ll fix any mistake that happens, I’m not afraid to help. I write these things for you at the end of the day :)

#16 1 year ago
  17. laughing-gravy

It’s funny how some people can get hysterical over a headline. The guy even apologised! How many journalists do you know that actually do that? It’s like your saying “right mate, step outside!”

#17 1 year ago