Wii U Virtual Console US launch line-up confirmed

Tuesday, 23rd April 2013 22:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A system software update brings a new Virtual Console service to Wii U this week, with eight titles to grace the US eShop initially.

Siliconera reports Nintendo has locked in the following games for the service’s debut:

• Balloon Fight
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Excitebike
  • Ice Climber
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Punch-Out!!
  • F-Zero
  • Super Mario World

If you’re favourite Nintendo title is not on the list – hwich seems pretty flippin’ likely with these slim pickings – don’t despair; a show reel aired during last week’s bumper Nintendo Direct suggested a pile of games are on their way to the service, including Mega Man and Super Metroid, not to mention Mother 3.

The system software update also adds a panoramic view; a demo will be available.

1. DeVitowned

Come on, bring out the Squaresoft classics.

#1 1 year ago
  2. salarta

@1: We need all 9285490247514052792758252930294 ports of FF4. :P Which of course, at least all those ports aren’t FF4:TA.

Also, Brenna: YOU’RE. :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. mistermogul

This is a really uninspiring list. Not only that if Nintendo had a setup like PSN/Xbox Live these games would already have been released and available on Wii U from the Wii…

It’s painful sometimes the way Nintendo operates.

#3 1 year ago
  4. bxsentinel

Let me guess, now nintendo will put back the donkey kong country series that they took off of wii, for the the wii u virtual console!

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

What about the 30p Donkey Kong and Metriod?

#5 1 year ago
  6. OlderGamer

Wait, I think something is or has been misreperesented here. I clearly read AND watched video saying that all Currently purchased Wii VC games are able to be played on WiiU with full WiiU gamepad support with a 1usd upgrade fee per game. So in otherwords, I can play Super Star Solider from the TG16 that I already own on my WiiU game pad.

And for the posters, all of those Wii VC games are still playable on WiiU. And the store that was on Wii is still there and you can still buy games from it on the WiiU.

The difference being that the old purchases must be played through the Wii Mode. But I had read and watched info from Nintendo saying that was one of the things that they were fixing with this update.

Now I wonder what to believe.

#6 1 year ago