Saints Row 4 superpowers add verticality, going virtual adds variety

Monday, 22nd April 2013 01:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

But setting Saints Row 4 within a virtual world, Volition has been able to open up the city of Steelport in new ways.

Senior producer Jim Boon told OXM that recreating a “virtual” version of the city has helped in a couple of ways, such as providing a context in which the Saints can have superpowers which still makes sense within the fiction.

“This has also helped make Steelport feel like a new city once you start navigating through the world from up above, jumping and gliding through the air while battling aliens on rooftops,” he said.

“The addition of our superpowers bring a much greater emphasis on vertical gameplay so we were able to create content going upward rather than outward. While Steelport isn’t horizontally bigger there’s a lot more verticality to explore this time. It completely changes your perspective.”

It also gives level designers to chance to create some very different mission environments.

“Once the Zin abduct someone, they place them in one of these virtual prisons in order to break their will. We’ve had fun coming up with some interesting areas for the Saints to be trapped in, and this theme of having virtual worlds helps us to do that,” Boon said.

Although there’s probably a fair contingent of Saints Row fans who feel a bit disgruntled by the shift from real-world if over-the-top action to superhero sci-fi, I present this argument: Crackdown. Saints Row 4 is expected on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in August. It’s apparently going to have a “fuck ton” more content than the last one.

1. salarta

So the Saints are going to need to be rescued within the virtual prisons and these prisons will be like their own worlds, huh? I have a feeling Monica Hughes’ prison is going to be fascinating. That or she’ll be working with the aliens from the start, but I find that a little doubtful since I can’t imagine any reason the aliens would need her help.

#1 1 year ago
  2. The_Red

Still feel worried about it. While all the craziness is more than welcome in my book (SR2 was one of the best sandbox games of this gen), I fear that they might end up with a super confused Prototype or Crackdown clone.

#2 1 year ago
  3. junguler

if it worked on bs infinite i’m sure it’ll work here aswell

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

@3: I don’t really care about that to be honest. The more Prototype/Crackdown-like games we have, the better.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

Crackdown needs a clone. Crackdown 2 was an awful Crackdown clone. I want a proper one.

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

I’m not saying a proper Crackdown type game would be a bad thing. It’s just that, we need more games like SR2.

Truly agreed. How on earth did they managed to ruin Crackdown with the sequel that had the same city, same power and pretty much same everything? A proper Crackdown follow-up would be great but SR doesn’t need to become Crackdown IMO.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dinasis

Personally, I bought Crackdown for Crackdown. Never touched the Halo 3 beta. I still have Crackdown, so if I want to play Crackdown, I will play Crackdown.

Anyway, more on topic, a lot of the gameplay side of Saints Row was improved in SR:TT, take driving for example, but in the wake of Saints Row 2, the story left a lot to be desired. Also, looking back on it I sort of miss the respect system for missions. If they’d kept that, I don’t think they’d have been as likely to present the first run of each activity as a mission.

I have no doubt that the superpowers will be fun to screw around with—they were absolutely great for the five minutes you actually had them in The Trouble With Clones (also, why no post-DLC unlock, Volition?)—but the gameplay and the story were why I played Saints Row and Saints Row 2. Not so much with Saints Row: The Third. I expect even less for Saints Row 4.

Also, whatever happened to chasing down Dex or all those Red Faction connections? Or, assuming that Shaundi really is alive and in that presidential limo promo art they released a little while ago, what about chasing down Killbane?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

Is exactly what i want of the franchise but unfortunately their are two types of fans with Saint Row: the ones that love SR3 and the ones that love SR1/2 and we fall on the latter.
    Not on my to buy list unless of course they delay it and make changes.

#8 1 year ago