Mutant Mudds developer expresses frustration with Steam Greenlight

Monday, 22nd April 2013 02:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Renegade Kid’s Jools Whatsham has expressed his disappointment in both of Steam’s submission processes, which have so far failed to secure a release slot for the very well received Mutant Mudds.

In a blog post on Gamasutra, Whatsham said his initial Steam submission was rejected with no feedback, as per Steam’s policy, which strongly contrasted with his experiences working with Nintendo.

“When we submit a game to Nintendo they test the game to ensure it does not crash or have any major bugs that impede gameplay. If the game contains any issues in this regard Nintendo sends us a report that explains why the game was failed. We fix it and resubmit. Nintendo works with developers where needed to isolate issues and correct them,” he said.

“Valve is a successful company that is reportedly in good financial shape. With this in mind I assumed they would have a robust team in place that provided a similar submission service as Nintendo.”

Baffled by the abrupt rejection of a game that has already proved its chops on 3DS, Whatsham took heart when Steam Greenlight was announced – he and many others assumed Valve had rejected the game so it could be part of the Greenlight process.

Unfortunately, Mutant Mudds has not succeeded, climbing as high as #40 at one point but mostly stuck around #80, with 30,000 votes split almost equally between “Yes” and “No”.

“It quickly seemed as though the games that were being received well on Greenlight were either first-person games, contained zombies, and/or were supported by a built-in PC community or a unique publicity angle. Mutant Mudds could not find its audience. Greenlight is, after all, a popularity contest,” Whatsham continued.

“Some seem put-out by calling it this. There is nothing wrong with it being a popularity contest. Isn’t that the point of asking a community of thousands to vote? It is what it is. But, now do I need to launch a dedicated PR campaign to get my game(s) noticed and accepted on Steam?”

Since the post went live, the Steam Greenlight campaign has drawn a lot of attention, and as of the latest update, has attracted over 18,000 “yes” votes. Renegade Kid is hoping to receive around 35,000, the usual number for games in the top 20 Greenlight charts.

Mutant Mudds is available on 3DS via the eShop as well as GOG, Gamersgate, Desura and the App Store.

1. Francis O

Wow, I can’t believe this…… A developer praising Nintendo over Valve and Steam. I’m going to check my window to see if pigs are flying!

In all seriousness. Nintendo has came a long way since WiiWare and the DSi Shop. A lot of small/indie developers are praising Nintendo for their efforts on the 3DS and Wii U eShop.

I love the service myself, as Runner 2, 30 cents for classic titles, and MiiVerse has me completely content with Nintendo’s online services.

2. Clupula

@1 – Do you ever talk just like a normal person and not an ad for Nintendo products?

3. DSB

It is pretty Kafkaesque, but if your game is polished enough, it stands a pretty good chance. Mutant Mudds doesn’t look very good at first glance, and that’s obviously a problem.

Either way, Greenlight is definitely letting games onto the service that would never had had a chance before, and I see plenty that have nothing to do with shooters or zombies.

4. Francis O

@2 Clupula, do you ever stop trolling Nintendo articles on VG247?

5. Clupula

@5 – First, this isn’t really a Nintendo article. They get mentioned for a second, but it’s about Steam Greenlight. You, being the rabid fanboy you are, decided to take the little mention of them and turn it into you being the back end of a Reggie/Miyamoto/you human centipede.

Second, it’s not so much Nintendo, as you. When you talk bullshit, you get called out on it. Simple deal.

6. Francis O

It’s kind of a Nintendo article, but whatever. I don’t see how I’m a rabid fanboy when I defend Nintendo from trolls like you. I like Nintendo, so what? I got a PS3 and Xbox 360 as well. Plus a nice Gaming Asus PC, you don’t know me bitch.

I’m not talking any bullshit, you constantly troll Nintendo articles and news. You don’t like Nintendo, yet take the liberty at bashing almost anything they do. I don’t bash Sony and MS like you bash Nintendo.

And don’t get all tough over a internet message board, calling me out? GTFO troll.

7. Clupula

@7 – If you look closely, as I said, it’s less Nintendo-bashing…and more you-bashing.

You’re pretty annoying, Francis (said in the Pee-Wee Herman voice). You speak almost entirely in Reggie-esque P.R. talk, although now, you’re getting all Jesse Pinkman with the liberal use of “bitch.” Hey, I totally get that you’re the blowfish, but if it makes you feel any better, I call out people face-to-face all the time. I don’t hide who I am. My screenname is my name. I’m not some anonymous poster. I’m pretty clear about who I am.

And you annoy me. This is an article about Steam Greenlight. They say something nice about Nintendo. Okay, fine, you pointing out that it’s rare for a developer to do so is perfectly okay. That’s how conversations happen.

But then, you suddenly start going all propaganda on everybody with, ” A lot of small/indie developers are praising Nintendo for their efforts on the 3DS and Wii U eShop,” even going so far as to start giving out prices for games, like you’re a frigging press release or something.

I don’t hate Nintendo. I don’t hate any company. I may hate the people behind the company. I may think they make stupid decisions and don’t innovate, but a company’s just a company. They exist to make money. Sell a product, make a profit. Boom.

Now, if you were just a rabid fanboy, that’d be irritating enough, but you always always have to go out of your way to sound like you’re trying to sell us something, like you’re trying to justify your fanboyism to the rest of us. And it’s annoying.

So when I see you doing it, I call you out. Take a look at most Nintendo articles and lo and behold, you probably won’t see me in the comments until you start preaching the Miyamoto gospel. Last time I spoke about Nintendo unsolicited was in the article about Japanese sales figures, and that was really just to rub it in YOUR face that I was right and you were wrong about their sales picking up full-time. I said it was just a spike and said it was the beginning of the Wii U dominating Japan and I was right, you were wrong. Just wanted to say it.

So, in conclusion, I don’t bash any company. I call it like I see it. Before Nintendo unveiled the disaster that is the Wii U, I actually was looking forward to what Nintendo were going to reveal, in the hopes that it actually was going to be the first true next-gen system, not some late-to-the-party current gen system with a gimmick controller.

Anyway, as this is not an article about Nintendo, I don’t see the point in arguing with you about it any further. I’m going to take the high road and back off.

You wanna meet in the schoolyard at 3 and settle this?

8. polygem

i loved this game on the 3ds. a tough old school 2d Platformer. very old school yet fresh with great music. i was the perfect target audience for a game like this :)
    that said, i think this is one of the games that really do benefit a lot from the 3d effect. without it it loses half of the charme.

9. Francis O

Indie developers have been praising the Wii U eShop.

I’m not lying. The proof is above. So please STFU now. Hopefully you take the high road and don’t ever come back.

10. Old MacDonald

Greenlight is dreadful, and now it’s being misused by Kickstarter-devs as well. Whenever someone is running a high profile Kickstarter they start a Greenlight-campaign at the same time, as a PR tool. And tons of fans flock to it, resulting in a speedy ascent through the ranks.

So we get tons of greenlighted games that won’t be out for two years (and would probably have gotten on Steam anyway), while the current indie stuff that Greenlight was apparently made for is just sitting there.

Valve went from being indie-friendly to perhaps the most indie-unfriendly company in the business. Except maybe Microsoft (for now).

Edit: And stop going on and on about Nintendo.

11. Clupula

@10 – Oh, Francis, you’d miss me too much if I left. You obviously enjoy it when I play rough.

Anyway, I wasn’t disputing that some developers do, indeed, have a positive experience with Nintendo. It’s how you phrase it that just irks me. As I said, it’s like you’re writing press releases at all times.

Example of something a normal person would say: “I really like the 3DS. It’s got a lot of games I enjoy playing on it and I’m glad it’s doing well in Japan.”

Example of something a P.R. shill would say: “The 3DS is dominating all of Japan, far outselling both the PS3 and the Vita. With the multitude of third party titles due out for the system, the choice is clear which system Japan prefers.”

I wouldn’t have a problem with the first one. That’s how a human being expresses they like something. The second is how you speak. No one on earth speaks like that unless they’re getting paid to do it or they’ve been in a reprogramming center for the last few years of their life.

That’s why you annoy me.

That and the fact that even though this isn’t an article about Nintendo, you’ll be damned if you’re not going to try to force the comments to be.

12. Clupula

@11 – Has this been a problem for other indies? I must admit this is the first I’ve heard of it, but I’m curious to read more if this is a persistent problem.

13. Francis O

@12 and 13

Whatever makes you sleep at night troll.

14. CyberMarco

Stop bitching around both of you and just chill out!

15. Clupula

@14 – Okay, seriously? You do realize that that was the absolute perfect set up for a mom joke. Don’t throw me softballs, Francis.

@15 – I tried to let it go, but he kept going. I think he has a crush. If he’ll be quiet, I’ll be quiet.

16. monkeygourmet

I wonder when Clupula will see how his conversations with Francis O, almost exactly mirror the ones I had with Dragon…

Ahhh…

The circle of life…

17. Clupula

@17 – Cue the sunrise. lol

18. silkvg247

@3 HackSlashLoot on the other hand, looks amazing? Since when is it about graphics..?

19. PC_PlayBoy

I played Mutant Mudds on the 3DS and it was shite. I voted NO on Greenlight. There are better games on there that deserve my vote.

Greenlight is awesome. There is nothing like it on consoles, or anywhere else for that matter. Plus the games that have been successful on Greenlight have been of great quality: Agarest: Generations of War, Shovel Knight, Death Inc, Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey, Black Mesa, Frozen Endzone, Primordia, LAMULANA, Fly’N, Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars, Miasmata, etc.

This is just a pissed developer with a shite game that can’t get Greenlit.