Virtuix Omni treadmill demo’d with Oculus Rift, Kinect

Sunday, 21st April 2013 23:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Virtuix makes omni-directional treadmills, which may not seem relevant to your life interests until you see it in partnership with Oculus Rift and Kinect, bringing us one step closer to 1980′s sci-fi virtual reality experiences.

Virtuix has been using the Kinect for some time now and hopes to ship the new Omni treadmill with its own proprietary sensor array – but this is the first time it’s shown off its tech in conjunction with the Oculus Rift headset. The video below shows off a session of Team Fortress 2 with this set up.

The end goal of this project is a unit you can afford to purchase and set up in your gaming den, and Virtuix may take it to Kickstarter.

Running is not actually an activity I enjoy; can someone just invent man-machine interfaces already so I can lie on a bed being fed artificial happiness ala The Matrix?

Thanks, Engadget.

1. CPC_RedDawn

THE HOLODECK IS NEAR!

#1 1 year ago
  2. POOP CRUSTY

Well now I’m interested.

#2 1 year ago
  3. aleph31

http://bit.ly/XQr3xB – Ok I foresee a lot of gamers dying from vigorexia – heart arrest :D

#3 1 year ago
  4. sh4dow

I’d really love to get one of this once it gets out but since I don’t live in a house or on the ground floor… I already gave up Dance Dance Revolution because of that -_-

#4 1 year ago
  5. powerbuoy

This is so cool, but if you have a big enough room I think real time (proper) mocap is even cooler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSTge5IDxF4

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheBlackHole

I’ve been going on about omnidirectional treadmills as a way to enhance VGs for fucking ages. Years even.

In my version it was a 360 screen though, not a headset. This is much more cost efficient :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. deathm00n

@6 Unless your room is like a running track I think the treadmill is a better solution

#7 1 year ago