New gameplay videos for Sir, You Are Being Hunted

Friday, 19th April 2013 14:27 GMT By Stace Harman

RPS has posted two gameplay videos of Big Robot’s Sir, You Are Being Hunted. The videos depict running, gunning and scavenging across the game’s procedurally generated islands. Check them out below.

Big Robot is three-person indie dev team headed-up by veteran RPS writer, Jim Rossignol. The crowd-funded title is available for pre-order via the Humble store. The game will also be playable at Eurogamer and RPS’ PC-centric show, Rezzed, which is taking place in Birmingham in June.

1. OwnedWhenStoned

Is there a release date for this yet?

2. Stace Harman

@1 Not yet. Closest we have to a release date is that the early access for Kickstarter backers will kick-off over the summer months.

3. OwnedWhenStoned

@2 I’ve been following this for ages, and hoped this might be a sign…

4. freedoms_stain

I must say, this looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more interesting than it did back when it first came to light.

5. DSB

It’s a smart take on Day Z for sure.

Kinda disappointing that you can’t enter the buildings though. I realize there’s really not much reason to let you, and they probably could never make the AI work inside one of them, but it’s kinda immersion breaking.

6. deathm00n

@5 I thought the same thing. But I hope this turns out good. I’m looking for good survival games, but DayZ is so weird in the arma engine that it is a let down. Don’t Starve was lacking depth last time I tried it and I prefer something 3D. War Z turned out the be that disaster we all have seen. Anyone has another one to suggest before this one is out?

7. TheWulf

I could have been into this but the aesthetics just ruin it for me. (No, gamers, don’t get your knickers in a twist about fidelity. I’m not talking about that.) Graphically it’s very reminiscent of early ’00 shareware games, and it just looks so washed out and dull.

Oh, there’s a house. There’s a house that looks the same. A bush. A tree. Everything looks rather grey.

In this kind of game, the joys I tend to find are exploration and discovery. But if everything looks like arse then there’s not much joy to be had in that. I wish they’d hired another artist or two, to be honest. I’m sure I’ll be alone in this because it seems to be heretical to speak out against this game, but still.

Could have been enjoyable, but… I just can’t see past those visuals. Thing to consider: They don’t look much better than the visuals of those freebie Slender Man games.

I can definitely see a glint of character there, no doubt. Especially in the character design. It’s just hidden behind layers of bad art.

—Edit—

See, I look at this and I can’t help but think that the lack of distinction is crying out for cell-shading and coloured visuals. To me, it kind of looks like a cell-shaded game if you’d turned the cell-shading off and the RGB colour levels of your monitor down to 2%.

It’s frustrating looking at this game as it could be something okay. But the art design is ARRRRGH!