Xbox Original hopes to bring back Heroes – rumour

Thursday, 18th April 2013 02:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Cancelled superhero TV series Heroes may yet get a second lease on life. TVLines cites anonymous sources for word that MSN is in preliminary talks with NBC to develop a new version of the show for Xbox Originals, with all new stories and characters but cameos from the original cast. Microsoft certainly seems to be making a major push to turn the Xbox 360 – and likely its successor – into something like a cable box.

Thanks, AllGamesBeta.

1. salarta

Following a brand new cast seems like the only way to really salvage that show. The second season really did a number on it thanks to the writers’ strike.

2. DGOJG

Why on earth would they dig up this show? Apart from the obvious “because money”. I’m pretty sure the fans have moved on since then.

3. Shuklar

Embarrassing.

4. Kabby

“with all new stories and characters but cameos from the original cast.”

Yeah. No.

5. The_Red

So, Netflix goes for Arrested Development and Xbox O goes for… Heroes? Plus with new cast and stories? Then why not start a new series using high talent? If you want to enter the race, you’ll need at least one show like House of Cards (Big name director + big name actor).

6. HaMmOdY

Instead of reviving dead game franchises, Microsoft goes for a pathetic show that should be renamed ” The Petrellis “!

7. orakaa

I can understand the appeal to go this way, and I’m not saying this is bad (creating their own sort of Netflix service and even producing some series)… but the way it appears, it seems their approach will be, again, mostly focused on the US.
    Living in France I see close to nothing of the services proposed in the US on the Xbox. No Netflix, no nothing.

Even if Microsoft decides to create their own VOD service, there will always be licensing problems on the programs (which is why we haven’t had Netflix or Hulu during last years: it’s not that those companies don’t want to do business here). For instance, I went to the US PSN and browsed through the MUBI list of movies. I was soooo excited when I heard this service was coming to France. Unfortunately, the French version of MUBI’s catalogue is just awful in comparison with the US one. Really.
    And here there are TV channels here who are also publishers for DVD/blu-ray/VOD (TV shows, movies, etc.). They don’t want to let go those rights.

8. dreamcastnews

I’m up for it.

9. laughing-gravy

This is the future of X-box, who the hell cares about TV shows? So are they going to spend less money developing games so they can waste it on stuff like this? Sorry but I don’t want more TV shows got enough already, in fact I’ve probably got too many! Don’t waste cash on crap like this.