Microsoft launching new security measure across Xbox, Windows & other services

Thursday, 18th April 2013 10:53 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has laid bare its plans for a single log-in with enhanced security across its suite of Xbox and Windows services, as well as other apps owned by the company.

The security measures were outlined in a Microsoft blog post last night, and confirmed that a new two-step authentication process for all Microsoft accounts would be rolling out across the next “couple of days”.

With this single account Microsoft said you would be able to gain access to many of its services at once, and spooled off a few examples:

• Communicate with your Outlook.com inbox and calendar, and with Skype video chat.
  • Entertain yourself with games from Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Xbox video.
  • Access to all your photos, videos, docs and other stuff through SkyDrive.
  • One set of people from the networks you use, like Facebook, Linked In, Twitter and more.
  • Unlock personal productivity with Office.

However, Microsoft stated that while very lovely, this single account focus requires additional security to function, and explained why it is opting for a two-step verification process. The post reads, “Two-step verification is when we ask you for two pieces of information any time you access your account — for example, your password plus a code sent to a phone or email on file as security info.

“Two-step verification protects you everywhere you use your Microsoft account; on Windows 8, any Web browser, and even Microsoft apps and services on iOS and Android devices.”

You can start the process now by visiting this security page, if you wish.

What do you make of this additional security and single log-in mentality? Is it effective, could it work, and how might it impact the next Xbox? Let us know below.

Thanks CVG.

1. Samoan Spider

About time. I think its an excellent idea and with the raft of hacks over the last couple of years across the net, I’m certain people won’t resent the extra security hoop they have to jump through!

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

I already use the two-step security for Gmail so it’s nothing new to me. I’m just glad I log into my MS account with a normal Gmail account over Hotmail. I frigging hate Hotmail with a passion.

#2 1 year ago
  3. orakaa

Having to receive a text message everytime you log in? I’m all for security, but there got to be a better way, less binding/troublesome

#3 1 year ago
  4. Demigod

personally I would prefer a random number app like my wow and kotor authenticators

#4 1 year ago
  5. noamlol2

how is that of any use to me?

first off they should deal with all the hackers in dark souls on their crappy service
    then they should worry about log in bullshit

#5 1 year ago
  6. Talkar

Like this? http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/authenticator/e7994dbc-2336-4950-91ba-ca22d653759b?appid=e7994dbc-2336-4950-91ba-ca22d653759b

#6 1 year ago
  7. Demigod

&6 yes like that thanks looking into it more googles authenticator should work for those of us on android

#7 1 year ago
  8. Djoenz

I think its ridiculous that I had to make an account using my existent email on my windows 8 laptop, but that it got all my info from my email like contacts and facebook friends..

Hell I dont use MSN anymore for ages but I found out that it was working and running through the messages tile. No idea how to delete the whole thing lol. Damn my hotmail its full of useless spam.. Unfortunately I used it for a lot of services so no idea if I want to delete hotmail/outlook and just go gmail.

PSN for example I hope I can switch to another email service…

#8 1 year ago
  9. Cobra951

@3: Yes, that is fucking ridiculous. I don’t even do texting. I’m an old dude that has no use for it. I hope that 2 email accts are good enough. Otherwise, we’re going to have a big problem.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Djoenz

Guys this is optional BTW :P

#10 1 year ago
  11. Cobra951

“Customer accounts for Windows, Xbox Live and Skype will be given the *option* to upgrade to a two-step system, where either a secondary email address or telephone number can be used for back-up authentication [emphasis mine]”

That doesn’t sound nearly as ominous as what was published here.

Edit: @above, right–optional. That’s not mentioned here, and it makes a huge difference. Are there any other sources that claim it will be mandatory? I already have my gmail and outlook accts interlinked anyway.

#11 1 year ago
  12. roadkill

Wow! Fast response MS! Google introduced this only one year ago but hey! who am I to say how to f**k things up properly!?

#12 1 year ago