Fez PC pre-orders open on April 22

Thursday, 18th April 2013 01:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Fez on PC is really happening, you guys; Steam and GOG.com will both open pre-orders for the indie platform-puzzler on April 22. Polytron is offering 10% off on pre-orders of the $10 former Xbox Live exclusive ahead of its May 1 launch. Fez has sold 200,000 copies on Xbox Live since its launch almost exactly one year ago. It was featured in indie Game: The Movie and famously spent years in development, netting multiple IGF awards in the process.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. DSB

200k isn’t a lot. That’s like a low profile indie on Steam.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Cobra951

Still, it’s not bad for an obscure indie. The PC release may help all versions along too, since it raises awareness across the board. I really enjoyed it on XBLA, despite some glitchiness.

#2 1 year ago
  3. spoffle

Indie tends to do better on Steam/PC anyway. Look at Super Meat Boy, it was quite a success on PC compared to its release on Xbox 360.

It’s partly to do with Microsoft’s lacking support in the case of SMB though.

#3 1 year ago
  4. sh4dow

It’s so awesome that they release it on GOG too, since I refuse to buy anything Steam exclusive.

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheWulf

I’m worried his pissy attitude towards PC gamers and people in general is going to hurt his sales, here. Fish is one of those people who didn’t learn when to shut his yap, and it did tend to hurt his reputation more than a little bit. Plus, he did an Ask Me Anything over on Reddit, and he pretty much said that the only reason he went back on his overzealous CONSOLES ONLY approach was that he needed money. He’s a bit of a prick.

I’m still going to buy the game because it seems like a good game, but I worry that sometimes the face of a game will harm the sales. And it seems to be much more true with indies than the mainstream. In the mainstream, bastardry is common, so the attitudes and idiocy of men like CliffyB aren’t going to actually hurt sales much. I think it’s just gotten to a point where the mainstream has accepted bastardry. (Even though I’m not entirely sure whether that’s a good thing or not.)

I suppose it might have something to do with the detached consumerism of the mainstream? I guess?

Indies tend to be more familial than that, though. Someone who’s nice to their customers and listens to them is going to receive a lot of praise and money. I see Larian as mostly an indie dev, and after a lovely chat I had with them on Kickstarter, I ended up dropping $65 on Original Sin. I mean, Dragon Commander is still my kind of thing, and I’m still not 100% sold on Original Sin’s setting, but I just love those guys and I want to support them.

You should really watch the updates for Original Sin at some point. Yes, you. Person reading this. Go here:

That shows respect for the audience. I don’t care what they do off-camera, what I do know is that they’re putting in the effort. They’re nice to everyone and they care about their community. That kind of familiarity amongst indies tends to fuel a camaraderie that does generate more profit. And I hope Original Sin works out for them.

Anyway, I’m going to buy Fez as it looks like a neat little game. But I won’t blame those who don’t as Fish’s attitude is almost counter-productive to profit. He’s one of those developers that’s better off not heard, as he leans towards hateful and poser-pretentious. Still, I won’t blame his game for that.

#5 1 year ago