Battlefield 2142: ex-producer asks if it ‘has the balls’ to return

Thursday, 18th April 2013 12:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 may be next on DICE’s slate, but ex-Battlefield 2142 producer Gordon Van Dyke has pondered the studio’s return to a futuristic setting.

Van Dyke tweeted the above yesterday, suggesting that a new Battlefield 2142 game built using Frostbite 3 would be something stellar indeed. But humbly, he continued and suggested that – at the time – the original game fell short of its potential, and that a new game would improve on 2142′s foundation.

Would you like to see the Battlefield series – and shooters in general – switch away from modern settings and explore new eras and fictions? Let us know below.

Thanks MP1st and Pixel Enemy.

1. OwnedWhenStoned

Yes. The Titans were a great idea in BF 2142. I had some great times crunching through the snow in that game.

#1 1 year ago
  2. No_PUDding

This is the comments section right? So my opinion goes here?

Hopefully not then Gordon.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

2142 was a reskinned Battlefield 2. Which was a shame, but at the same time it was a futuristic setting in BF2 and it was awesome.

If I remember correctly. BF2142 was the first game that introduced Dog tags. :D that was fun.

FROSTBYTE 3 + Battlefield 2142 setting would be amazing… With SNOW levels.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Yoshi

I’m more excited for a possible BF 2143 than BF4

#4 1 year ago
  5. GrimRita

I loved BF2142 and I agree with #4 – however, probably on origin only, so wont be buying it

#5 1 year ago
  6. DoktorJest

BF2142? Frostbyte 3 with lasers and what not? Why the hell not? Let’s see how Hawken does and then start shrieking at EA.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Samoan Spider

Yes. I can imagine how fantastic it would be to have Titan mode with shiny baubles (FB3 engine). Bring it on and my money you shall have. That comment about leaving the safe haven of modern war should be carefully considered by many studios right now.

#7 1 year ago
  8. SameeR_Fisher

sounds more interesting than BF4 -actually it is 3.5–

#8 1 year ago
  9. TMRNetShark

Yeah, fuck the modern day setting. I wanted Battlefield 2143. :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. powerbuoy

I’d prefer to see something like Vietnam.

#10 1 year ago
  11. darkshale

I loved the objective based multi-player of 2142. So much to do, so many plans to ruin, so little hand holding. I wish we could organize a base defense in PlanetSide 2 like we could in 2142. Nothing says you lose like your base falling to Earth as a burning husk.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Fin

“Guy who used to work for company says he would like them to make a game”

#12 1 year ago
  13. ArithonUK

BF2142 as implemented in the BETA1 (before they nerfed everything) was awesome.

Currently no warfare game is being made unless it’s COD-ish and involves Team America.
    There are plenty of battlefields throughout history where the USA wasn’t involved that were actually really important (a shock I know).

If not the future, then what about the past? BF1642? As long as the game is BattleField and not a COD clone, I don’t care. “When” is far less important than “how” or “what”. Squad-based multi-player with team elements and a command structure, using vehicles and capture points.

That could work just as easily for cannons, horse cavalry, infantry, muskets and swords as it could for laser rifles and titans.

For those who never played BF1942, the fun of hunting an enemy sub or moving your aircraft carrier so the enemy didn’t know where to look, don’t appreciate how far DICE have fallen with BF3, or how much worse BF4 promises to be. But then I suspect that DICE haven’t looked at BF2 or BF1942 recently or they’d be more more ashamed of how their franchise has degenerated.

#13 1 year ago
  14. P3N15M0NK3Y

Not really interested in BF4, BF2143 though, I would sell my left nut for.

#14 1 year ago