Final Fantasy Versus 13 reveal scheduled

Wednesday, 17th April 2013 06:08 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Square Enix has set a date to reveal, or perhaps re-reveal, Final Fantasy Versus 13, but can’t talk about it due to a “delicate situation” within the company.

Thew news comes via director Testsuya Nomura, speaking in an episode of new podcast Square Enix Merchandise Radio, as translated by Nova Crystallis.

“It’s a delicate situation within the company,” he said.

“The date for our next reveal is set and we are working toward preparing information for that.”

The developer apologised for the delay and asked fans to wait a little longer.

I wouldn’t get too excited; Final Fantasy Versus 13 has already missed at least one planned reveal for mysterious reasons. It’s was announced close to seven years ago and we’ve barely seen hide nor hair of it.

The latest rumour has it renamed as Final Fantasy 15, and headed to PlayStation 4 and possibly the next Xbox; Square Enix came to the PS4′s reveal and announced it would show a new title at E3 this year.

Thanks, Johnny.

1. Bashtee

I hope it turns out to be better than FF13. The cutscenes in the first FF13 got me all worked up… Worst story and voice acting ever.

2. melonbuster1

Microsoft. .

3. loveaya

Whatever…Final Fantasy Versus 13 + The Last Guardian….Make me sick

4. ehab

Sounds exciting! But I’m afraid it could be a marketing ploy by Square Enix to keep people interested in their games, even though the game could be entirely scrapped!

A delicate situation? Is he referring to the recent change in management? But they’ve been having “delicate” situations for over 6 years now :/

5. polygem

i loved ff dissidia. anything like that combat/gameplaywise for the homeconsoles and i am sold.

6. HaMmOdY

This game is becoming the biggest urban legend in the history of HISTORY!

7. ActionGameKing

Finally. This game will make or break Square Enix. I’ve waited for too long, we all have.

8. redwood

hahaah.. they have a date but they wont tell us.. WTF is wrong with square man.. I love their games but they acting so desperate these days that it’s sad.. I really hope they get back to their game soon.. FF13 VS is instabuy for me

9. redwood

also i think this is a stupid way of saying “keep an eye out for our e3 conference”

10. salarta

Some thoughts on this, some purely speculation and some based very strongly on observations or personal opinions.

I’m guessing that the delicate situation in question isn’t the financial situation, since everyone knows about that, but rather dealing with Motomu Toriyama. For the past decade, Squeenix has been trying to pushToriyama as the new creative head of the main Final Fantasy entries. Squeenix may finally have acknowledged how bad he is for already existing IPs like Final Fantasy and Parasite Eve, and considering doing something about it, but since he’s already been built up this high, handling how to pull him back down and put someone else in his place without openly insulting and humiliating him is tricky.

I’m also guessing that Versus 13 will, in fact, be re-announced as Final Fantasy 15. For one, it would be a bold statement of the company finally giving that project the support it needs, which in turn would result in actual confidence from a new announcement that it’s not going to have its team pulled away again or linger in development hell. For another, unlike what they put out as FF13, Versus 13 actually fits what Final Fantasy is supposed to be, so I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t become a main numbered entry.

The last thing is that in my opinion, if they don’t either announce it as FF15 soon or make a BIG show of it at E3 (I mean showing up at the Sony and/or Microsoft conferences as a major game reveal), then this is going to be the new Duke Nukem Forever.

11. Sini

you mean re-re-reveal

12. Unlimax

Just don’t tell me this is going to be a Multi-platform game for the second time .. DON’T !

13. damo110011

@10 the delicate situation will be that they are dealing with a bunch of arse holes called Microsoft trying to let them to do what they want with the game and not what MS want!. We all know how MS treat dev’s (like crap). Plus Motomu Toriyama hates MS and are trying to get him to make it multi-platform which he wont want to.
    It’s MS that have got too big for there shoes!!! honestly charging a yearly fee to play and then shoving adds in your face. If people buy the nextbox then they are foolish i wouldn’t stand to pay for a service then have adverts too. MS are laughing all the way i’m afraid

14. POOP CRUSTY

When it was first announced, I cried tears of joy. I honestly can’t wait for it.

15. Hunam

Why is everyone being weird about Microsoft at the moment? First people thinking FIFA 14 would be timed exclusive on Xbox (possibly the stupidest thing I’ve read for a while) now everyone thinks MS have been hampering this game (which I doubt they have)

16. SplatteredHouse

@7,14 I feel similarly. I would be delighted to see Versus, but I really hope that S-E will be straightforward when talking about, and showing it.

17. dotfaust

Just gimme Bravely Default and were done! Versus 13 is irrelevant at this point… and so is Kingdom Hearts 3! 7 years ago i was fifteen years old and Square abandoned me! Time stood still for me at that moment. I never moved on. Now what am I supposed to do!? My life… anyways, I’ll probably just buy it used whenever it releases.

18. Gnosis

@17 So you’re saying, that you’re a 22 years old person, who makes his life depend on video games?

So they make an announcement about an announcement. Again. Without a date. Again. Even if they don’t cancel the event, again, I really don’t expect to see anything ground breaking. I simply get the feeling that they don’t have anything to show.

19. Moonwalker1982

Let’s hope the wait isn’t too long now and let’s especially hope it won’t fail. It looked awesome a few years ago, but if it still does? I wonder if they’ll announce it for the new Xbox now too, just like FFXIII.

20. Kyle Rayner

When will Square stop this? This game won’t be faring any good due to the FFXIII Lightning associated imagery, neither it will be looking anything near what they promised 6 years ago. IMO Square should give put FF on hiatus and stop tainting it with aberrations like the XIII and spin offs.

21. dotfaust

@18 lol I may have gone a little overboard there… but anyways my hype for versus 13 dissipated long ago, as well as my hype for square games in general (besides bravely default). They were probably my favorite dev when I was a kid (along with capcom) but… the times have changed.

22. Clupula

@13 – It’s Nomura who is in charge of Versus XIII, not Toriyama.

Anyway, my big hope for this is that it stays a PS3 title. That’s it. That’s my main one. Renaming it FFXV would be absolutely stupid and a smack in the face to anyone who has anticipated this title.

Plus, quite honestly, I’d like FFXV to be based off that Agni’s Philosophy (or whatever it was called) trailer they showed.

23. Clupula

@10 – Also, I love how you go on about how it fits what Final Fantasy is supposed to be, yet you completely forget the fact that it was supposed to PLAY as a straight-up ACTION RPG, which the mainline series has never, ever, ever done! But then again, you have shown that you’re more concerned with imaginary women being given shower scenes than anything having to do with gameplay. Pretty much the worst type of otaku.

24. lexph3re

Make FFv13 a bridge game between PS3 and PS4. That way you can pull appeal from the current install base and give PS4 gamers a little something more for incentive to buy the hardware without developing for several different companies.

Then later announce a 720 port if the device pans out to be a bridge.

25. Red Demon

Ah man,I don’t it to be renamed final fantasy 15, I wished they what of renamed this series a different brand, you know what I mean, start a fresh new series and make it better than final fantasy series. Don’t get me wrong guys I respect the series and played all of them except for 4,5, and 14, so I don’t want to offend anyone. Don’t you guys think its better to create a new name other than final fantasy 15. So they can build on this new game?