Capcom “pushing” for “more and better single-player content”

Wednesday, 17th April 2013 00:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Capcom is hoping to improve the story and other single-player modes in its fighting games.

“The strategic marketing group here has for quite a while been pushing for our fighting franchises to have more and better single-player content, of which full fledged story modes are one component,” Capcom USA senior vice president Christian Svensson wrote on Capcom Unity.

“How and when those requirements manifest in our future roadmap, I’m not prepared to speak about at this time.”

Svensson’s comments were made in a thread praising the recently-released Injustice: Gods Among Us, which is reviewing quite well.

Capcom’s current fighter franchises are Street Fighter, Darkstalkers and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom, and perhaps Street Fighter vs Tekken.

Thanks, Shack News.

1. Vice

Can only say “good”. Enough with the multiplayer/co-op shit already…

#1 1 year ago
  2. The_Red

The BlazBlue / MK9 / Persona 4 Arena trinity pretty much changed my perception of the fighting game this gen. Heck, in case of MK9 I almost abandoned multiplayer and solely focused on crazy singleplayer stuff.

Imagine a Darkstalkers or MvC game with actual storyline, cut-scenes and interesting missions… HEll.YES.

#2 1 year ago
  3. salarta

@2: Mortal Kombat was always in need of better story content, and thankfully MK9 brought it. They had all this rich lore to work from, and established character relations, but they always seemed to half-ass the actual telling of the story. Until MK9 (or MK vs DC if you count that), it was always so brief that you could literally write all the story content in a day or two.

Soul Calibur V tried to do the story thing, but they failed horribly. I understand that some of it was possibly due to the team not having enough time and resources to make the story mode as thorough as it could have been (according to people I’ve talked with that played the game and actually looked deeper into how it handled story mode than I did). However, I’m certain some of it also came as a result of Daishi forcing a big time skip as justification for removing major and much-loved characters like Sophitia and Taki and forcing his fan desires for new characters in their places.

I think MK9 was the perfect template for both how to reboot a franchise and how to do a story mode for a fighting game (well, one way; Blazblue did great too). It respected the history and roots of the franchise, and even kept the overall same progression as the past games (Shao Kahn invades Earthrealm, Shinnok and Quan Chi come next, etc), but tried new things in the mix like Sub-Zero becoming a cyborg.

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

True. MK had awesome (if rather campy) mythology but their unfocused story telling over the years was doing it a huge disservice. Heck, MK movies used that lore to make the absolute worst possible stories they could tell. In contrast, MK9 was respectful to both the more epic elements of lore AND the more B-movie qualities of it. Not a fan of MK vs DC though. It didn’t feel like a proper MK title or worthy DC fighting game. (Injustice’s story mode, please be good!).

#4 1 year ago
  5. salarta

@4: I didn’t really care for MK vs DC either, but I felt it was worth acknowledging that they did attempt a story mode. At the time MK vs DC came out, I actually found the absurdity of how they treated Kitana to be amusing, but only because Mortal Kombat was still in a poor state. I’d probably consider that portrayal a little annoying post-MK9, but I doubt it’d keep me from buying the game or anything. It’s a fighting game after all, usually those games only lose me if a character I like isn’t on the playable roster.

To clarify, throughout MK vs DC’s storyline, Kitana got her ass handed to her in every fight she was in. After one defeat, Quan Chi took control of her body and subsequently used her as a demonstration tool for how rage works. MK9′s use of her was much better, with a mix of wins and losses. Even Quan Chi controlling her at the end was better; where in MK vs DC she was a brainless puppet in that state, in MK9 she got to exhibit thought and personality.

I know, way too much talk there, but I think that also shows the value of MK9 having a story mode. You can actually talk about the game for things like this, not solely for the gameplay. It’s of course risky as well, some people could get pissed off by story issues (I’m guilty of this for many non-fighting game franchises), but it also spawns discussions.

#5 1 year ago
  6. YoungZer0

I think all good Fighting games need an extensive beat ‘em up mode alá The Warriors or MK: Shaolin Monks. Not just an afterthought but the core gameplay should revolve around that.

Imagine that. That would be awesome.

#6 1 year ago
  7. The_Red

Yeah, it was their baby step. To me both DC and MK characters felt annoying and not as good as they should have been. Heck, some of the Superman and Scorpion scenes felt downright insulting… But it was indeed in the bad MK days. Heck, after MKA, it was even a bit of improvement.

They had some of those annoying problems in MK9 but overall it was much better. Loved Kitana in MK9′s story. One of my friends was indeed pissed off by the story choices in MK9 (MK2 and 3 segments). As someone who has always followed the storylines via intros / endings / demos and later, player cards or other stuff, the semi-reboot / retelling was mindblowing. Really really glad to see another fellow gamer who loved the story mode so much.

#7 1 year ago
  8. The_Red

Hell yeah. LOVED those 2 gems on PS2. After MK Special Forces, I wasn’t expecting much from MK SM but holy shit, they actually delivered a great game.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xino

i wonder if they will finally make SF action adventure title:/

MK is already winning!