Updated: Burnout, Need for Speed dev no longer making racers

Tuesday, 16th April 2013 03:21 GMT By Staff

Further to news that Criterion Games is not, in fact, making a Need for Speed Underground reboot, studio boss Alex Ward has revealed while he, personally won’t be making another racing game, that he wasn’t speaking on behalf of the whole team.

Update:

Studio head Alex Ward posted the above this morning, to clarify that he was speaking personally – that HE would not be making another racing game – suggesting that yes, Criterion will be making more racing games in future.

Original Story: “Here is what I want folks to know. Some folks are eternally disappointed. Nothing I can do about that. So many tweets asking for new Burnout. Equally many tweets asking for a new NFS game from us. Also Road Rash,” he said.

“Whilst I love all of those games, I am personally not doing any. After over a decade of making racing games it’s time to make something new. It is early days thus I have nothing to ‘announce’ or talk about.”

Ward said he’s proud of the Burnout games and may eventually return to the franchise.

“I am proud of all of the Burnout games. When it feels right we will make another one. We are creative people,” he said.

It won’t be a sequel to Criterion’s only non-racer since the launch of Burnout 2, either.

“No Black 2 either folks. Volumes to tell on that topic, but will save that for when I get a book deal,” Ward said, mysteriously.

The developer said he wanted to tell fans the truth so they wouldn’t set aside money for Criterion racers that will never come.

“I will do my best to keep folks in the loop who want to follow what we play or what inspires us. Or what we might be listening to. But if you are following me expecting some Megaton of a new Burnout game, or an Underground remake then I have to disappoint you,” he added.

“I hope you will join us on a new journey. Hope it makes sense. Thanks for the support everybody. We won’t let you down.”

Criterion Games made last year’s Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit in addition to the Burnout series.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

1. The_Red

Bittersweet news. On one hand, Criterion’s talents were wasted on NFS reboots during recent years. On the other hand, they were THE best racing game developer in my humble opinion (Sorry, don’t care about simulation games).

#1 1 year ago
  2. ZarraN

I just want to send out a thank you to Criterion games & EA. Thanks for all amazing games & experiences Criterion has created over the years & I hope this is a start of something new & amazing. Criterion is a very talented studio and I would want them to have more freedom over there games they have earned it over the years. (Fun fact Ceiterion made the engine for the GTA games back in the day.) And EA thank you for supporting Criterion over the years and letting both independent developers make the games they want (DICE, Criterion, Insomniac, Respawn …)

#2 1 year ago
  3. ps4some

I think you’ve got this slightly wrong. The key word is ‘personally’. I follow Alex Ward on twitter and he’s said a few times that he isn’t working on a driving game. Doesn’t stop the rest of Criterion working on them.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

Good call bro.

#4 1 year ago
  5. fihar

He’s throwing the word ‘we’ a lot of times on this article.

After Bizarre folded, I don’t think the situation could get any worse, and then SCE Liverpool happened, and now this.
    I don’t care if I’m being selfish, but I don’t want them to stop making racing games.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Lengendaryboss

#6 1 year ago
  7. stx

What a shame since Criterion was basicly the last studio to make quality arcade racers. Now we are stuck with sub-par arcade-sim hybrid racers from Codemasters and Turn 10.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Max Payne

I am pretty sure their next game is gritty brown shooter.

#8 1 year ago
  9. mojo

7: try motorstorm apocalypse.
    I was surprised how much i liked it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. roadkill

is excited! :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheBlackHole

Racing games no longer sell the numbers they used to. There is no value making them ahead of action games, for example, provided you have the talent at your disposal to create an equally compelling experience.

#11 1 year ago
  12. NooB GobliN

Um, excuse me. But my ass was just wondering if we could please get a new Burnout game for the next generation of gaming consoles? Hasn’t it been too long since Paradise?

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps4some

@9 is right Motorstorm Apocalypse was acepops

#13 1 year ago
  14. Camaro

“Criterion Games made last year’s Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit”
    Actually they made last year’s Need For Speed: Most Wanted and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit in 2010 :D

#14 1 year ago
  15. theevilaires

Oh wow that gave me a scare there for a sec. I have the up most respect respect for Criterion. They’re one of the few if not the only devs that supported the PS3 first then down ported to 360. They didn’t forget how successful the PS2 made their games.

#15 1 year ago
  16. xino

wtf? what will they be making?

#16 1 year ago
  17. JRNO

As long as it isn’t another shooter.
    I still have hope they will bring back Burnout at some point.

#17 1 year ago