Atlus parent company hit by ¥1.4 billion debt after posting poor financials

Tuesday, 16th April 2013 11:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Atlus’s parent company Index Corporation has posted a large loss as part of its Q2 financial report. The Japanese firm has enjoyed a great deal of sales success stories recently, but it hasn’t been enough to reverse the slump.

Siliconera reports that games like Persona 4: Arena and Persona 4: Golden have sold well, and helped the company’s game sales hit ¥5.65 billion / $58 million.

However, it ended up with ¥1.435 billion / $14.75 million of debt for Q2, with no reasons given as to where the loss has come from. The site adds however, that Index will be making lay-offs and reshuffling staff to stem the loss and pay back its debt.

We’ll have more on the index restructure as and when it happens.

1. NeoSquall

ouch.

2. polygem

oh that´s bad! i actually wanted to wait for a pricedrop for persona 4 golden because i have more than enough games to play at the moment…but fuck that, will order my copy today. wont change much :) but it´ll make me feel better.

3. Digital Bamboo

Damn. I’m currently playing through Radiant Historia, a criminally under-appreciated Atlus RPG for the DS that any fan of the 16-bit RPGs of yore should experience.

EDIT: Hm. It seems Radiant Historia never released outside of NA & JP. amazon.ca still has copies, and they ship globally.

4. dtyk

Nooooooooooooo I hope this doesn’t spell bad news for Persona 5. Atlus is my favorite company by far.

5. YoungZer0

No. Nononononononononono!

6. NeoSquall

We shouldn’t forget that going down 1 billion Yens for a mid-to-small company like Atlus is a pretty big issue, so cutting staff shouldn’t be see as a “greedy” move in this case, still it sucks for those who will get sacked…

I think that one of the downside of Atlus/Index is focusing too much on the NDS/3DS: IMHO there isn’t enough money for them in that market and I’m pretty sure that the home console market is more than eager for more quirky and unique Atlus games.

7. Hunam

This is a shame :(

ATLUS, I want to buy your games but I live in Europe, sort it the fuck out :(

8. deathm00n

@6 Agreed. The only Atlus game I have for PS3 is Demon’s Souls wich is just published by them. And their rise was due for consoles with Persona 3. That game was so good, every friend of mine who had a PS2 loved it. How I wish they released more Shin Megami Tensei for consoles.

“With no reasons given as to where the loss has come from”, could this mean they are wasting it in production of an yet to be announced game? I hope it’s Persona 5.

9. ps3fanboy

i guess this means a shutdown of atlus in the near future…

10. xino

good!
    next time STOP brining anime games, cliche and copy n paste games all the time!

Square Enix were doing these kind of garbage but now they are trying new things even though it’s a risk for them: Sleeping Dawgs, Tomb Raider

11. dizzygear

@6 one of the draws of the portables consoles is the lower development costs. I think those games break even from Japanese sales alone.
    Something else is going on here.

@8 They are working on a PS3 persona game from what i gathered. It was supposed to run on the Catherine engine but apparently that engine was unsuitable so they had to build one from scratch.
    To be brutally honest i dont feel too sorry for after region locking Persona 4 Arena and the buggy (and late) PAL build of Devil Survivor: Overclocked no matter how much i like their games.

12. DLTDawnlight

#10 – LMFAO! SE didn’t even develop Sleeping Dogs or Tomb Raider. They only Publish those games.

You accuse anime-styled games for being cliched when Shooters and sci-fi based games are just as cliched if not more cliched and they definitely copy and paste A LOT more than what Japan does. You just hate Japanese gaming in general.

In fact, I’ve yet to see a game this generation that follows no cliches.

13. dtyk

Lawl. Just watch. Sleeping Dogs 2 is going to be canned. Square Enix has been horrendous this past 10 years. Bleeding money on 10 year development cycles and not releasing what the consumers want.

14. DLTDawnlight

Don’t worry, SE will remake another game that nobody cares about. And then they’ll make their 1234573485743857845743857th remake of Final Fantasy IV.

15. NeoSquall

@8 I honestly hope it’s Persona 5 (I didn’t think about it until you mentioned it…)

@11 Well, it may be that handheld games production and sale make them break even, but it also means slow rising in the earnings, which means no growth opportunities for the company.
    No money = no water = no growth.

Catherine used the Gamebryo engine (Fallout 3, New Vegas, Divinity II, Epic Mickey 1 and 2, El Shaddai), and while it’s a good engine when not developed upon by Bethesda, I hope the Persona Team go back to the goold old Criware for the next Persona game.

About the buggy Devil Survivor: Overclocked, the blame should be put on Ghostlight, as it’s the game’s publisher for Europe.

16. salarta

@14: They re-release FF4 once per year, sometimes twice per year. I loved that game, but FF4:TA pretty much killed that fictional universe unless they retcon that game out or redo huge chunks of it to actually be good.

I was going to save posting until I could deal with the Tomb Raider thing I last commented on, but what the hey, I’ll just jump back in wherever.

17. mikey3k

Sure its bad when a VG company post such losses, but they need to look within. It should’ve been obvious that PS4 Golden wouldn’t sell because its a rehash of a recent game. You cant keep feeding gamers the same stuff and expecting them to mindlessly buy without significant upgrades or changes. That only works in sports games/shooters. Arena wouldn’t sell because its a fighting game based on characters from an already niche genre of video games. Its called research. They do well to invest in some the next time around.

All that being said, I hope they find their bearings because I’d very much like to see a Persona 5 game on current or next gen. Its been way to long. Lets hope that solves the crisis.