Ubisoft Montreal CEO feels audience is ready for always-online consoles

Monday, 15th April 2013 16:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat has said he suspects the audience is ready for always-online consoles.

Mallat was asked if we were ready for always-online consoles during an interview with The Guardian, to which he replied, “Well, that’s a question you should put to Microsoft and Sony! I would say that a lot of people are already always online through other devices – I would suspect that the audience is ready.”

Following the shit-storm around newly-departed Microsoft exec Adam Orth’s “Deal with it” comment, and the Xbox Live outage over the weekend, you’ll have to decide for yourself if we’re ready.

Are we? Are you? Discuss below.

Thanks GameInformer.

1. Francis O

Why can’t we just have the option? Is that such a big deal? I want to control whether I’m online or not.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Do you suppose you could ever find an executive so retarded outside of Ubisoft?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Samoan Spider

@2 Does Bobby Kotick count?

#3 1 year ago
  4. DrDamn

No one has officially said it isn’t. Always Online = a console designed to be left on and respond to stuff. I.e. like WiiConnect24. Nobody went batshit mental over that did they?

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

@3 Bobby and Johnny both have one always-online fiasco under their belts, Ubisoft has something like five. And Bobby is the only guy making any kind of money in the industry, so while he may be a devious douchebag, he’s no dummy :P

#5 1 year ago
  6. KrazyKraut

Not ready

#6 1 year ago
  7. _LarZen_

Most of my devices are always connected online so for me and many others it would not be a problem.

But why should a gaming console be required to be connected online? And whatever that reason might be it would have to be a good one. And one that benefits the costumer.

As it is now I can only see it as a lockdown, a DRM function.

And what about people around the world with bad internet and the ones with no internet at all…..

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps3fanboy

I FEEL READY TO NOT BUY UBISOFT GAMES ANYMORE!!1

#8 1 year ago
  9. Francis O

Dave asked us if we are ready for an always online connected console. So I answered him. I’m not saying it’s going to be like that or not. I’m simply answering his question he asks at the end of the article.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Samoan Spider

@5 To be fair, you’re right there. Whilst I don’t believe for one minute that either of them have learnt lessons, it remains that Mr Kotick is making an awful lot of money so fair play. Horrible human = yes. Idiot = no :P

@8 Bah, people always say that and then they’re later found commenting on Assassins Creed or Far Cry games :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. The_Red

He is right. Sim City 5 proved how ready everyone is, specially the publishers hosting sufficient and “working” servers… wait.

#11 1 year ago
  12. zme-ul

didn’t Ubi’s own online system (DRM), U-Play, failed so hard a while back? now they’re ready … hmmm, I don’t believe a word they say

#12 1 year ago
  13. redwood

keep at it mallat boy, and next up you might feel a DIP on your sales :P

#13 1 year ago
  14. Sanwiches

I don’t know, maybe I’ll be ready WHEN THE INFRASTRUCTURE IS READY. FUCK OFF

#14 1 year ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I’m ready!

Bring it on!

Can’t pwn n00bs with no piddly little offline console!!

#15 1 year ago
  16. Lengendaryboss

No, as simple as that.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Gnosis

Sometimes I get the feeling that they don’t understand the actual problem. It’s not about being always online. No, it’s about horrible service, server lag, limited accessibility and there for a smaller audience, that “is ready for always on”.

Aside from that, maybe it’s just me, but I fail to understand the advantages of it. It’s obviously not the miraculous protection against piracy, so why bother? Isn’t it way more expansive to keep the server running even if most ppl simply stop playing the game? Or eventually shut down the server and make the game useless? Not the most elegant solution either. I just don’t see the appeal of it no matter from what perspective I look.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Beta

The audience as a whole is not ready. In some countries the Internet coverage is just not good enough.

It’s like he hasn’t even seen the Adam Orth debacle.. :p

#18 1 year ago
  19. deathm00n

They can’t even make matchmaking work well in Assassin’s Creed, they have no right to say anything like this.

#19 1 year ago
  20. YoungZer0

CEO’s need to learn to shut the fuck up.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Joe_Gamer

Mudder pocking Ubisoft….I suppose he would say that since their always on DRM was so “successful”….He does qualify the statement by saying “a lot of people” so he’s not a complete moron, I suspect he is just trying to turn up the heat on us frogs while we are all busy throwing feces at M$

#21 1 year ago
  22. GwynbleiddiuM

I suppose for a guy who thinks the audience is ready for an always-on future he’s pretty disconnected from the world and the audience that he feels are ready. My advise, browse some bloody community forums and see how the “AUDIENCE” actually feels about it, at least by spending that time people would think you are actually working for the money you leech off the hard work of the developers.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Red Demon

I say no, because console systems tends to overheat even when you have the cooling fans to keep it down. Don’t get me wrong I like consoles over PC, but I just to be given an option to play consoles offline like a PC would. Also there’s the case of bad internet connection or cant afford internet because some people are broke at the moment, there are lots of reasons. For now its better for the consumers to leave it as a option. BTW I love reading people’s comments,it’s funny and sometimes unbelievable what people write.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Battler624

The Middle-East lack the “always-online” and i can guarentee you 70% of those aged 10-18 here in kuwait are gamers so “gamers” aren’t ready for always-online…
    US gamers? maybe.
    EU gamers? maybe.
    but middle-east.. no no.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Lewis247

There is simply nothing more incorrect than that. Seriously, Very select few would be fine if it happened but I simply cannot understand why ANYONE would want an always online. It just does not benefit us as consumers.

It must not happen. Ever.

#25 1 year ago
  26. G1GAHURTZ

@25:

I am in KSA, and I am pretty much online 24 hours a day.

I don’t see why that would be different in Kuwait.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Ownsin

@27 you guys think that arab gamers are only in the gulf? wow didn’t know you guys were that close minded… How about the people living in Lebanon/Iraq/Syria/Palestine/Jordan? these people aren’t worth it? they have many gamers… I hate gulf people like you, who only think about themselves. Just because KSA has stable internet doesn’t mean the entire Middle East does… You know the Middle East doesn’t revolve around KSA.

#27 1 year ago
  28. silkvg247

Yet another person confusing internet with electricity it seems. We need electricity to play. We don’t need the net. What next.. books, films etc.. online only? Give me a break. Online is fantastic but it should always be optional. Refusing to support online and offline just reeks of laziness / corner cutting.

#28 1 year ago
  29. GwynbleiddiuM

@27 Only last week a ship’s anchor caused internet shortage in Iran because it torn apart the main fiber cable that keeps an entire country’s internet access together. Trust me there are many other people beside you living on planet earth and are not as fortunate as you to have a stable internet connection 24/7.

#29 1 year ago
  30. HaMmOdY

So now they want to control our systems that we bought with our freaking money… You can have always online shite, BUT GIVE ME THE SYSTEM FOR FREE …..

#30 1 year ago
  31. roadkill

Aye! They’re dumb enough. They’re ready.

#31 1 year ago
  32. JimKieger

There are so many things wrong with their thinking that it confounds me how they are still in business.

First: America doesn’t have the infrastructure European or Asian countries have. Google “why is American internet so slow” and you’ll easily find that our internet is being held at ransom by major ISP’s and lobbyist groups putting a stranglehold on the internet. It’s very similar to how oil and steel barons worked in the end of the 19th century with monopolies and massive price gouging.

Korea has a pure fiber network nationwide that’s the best in the world for $30\month. Less then 10% of America does, our internet is MUCH slower (one of the worst speeds in the world), and it costs between $80-$150\month to get high speed internet.

Why aren’t all of you angry yet?

Second: From looking at Diablo 3 and Sim City 2013, the problems these publisher\developers is with their servers and their connectivity being a massive problem that makes them unplayable to many. Look up the wiki page on Diablo 3 and you can see articles where people by the thousands lodged complaints to their own Consumer Bureaus within the first couple launch days about poor connectivity FROM THEIR OWN SERVERS! Having MMO level server problems for single player campaigns is ludicrous. It’s their servers that are garbage for having to handle the MILLIONS of players who bought and paid for their own product, but they don’t actually own it, always having to bow down to the publishers whim to play by THEIR rules.

Third: Why do they even try and what’s the point of it? It’s because of the backroom politics of publishers and their investors being paranoid, sociopathic, and outright greedy to the plight that not everyone has the ability to play on their expensive toys. DRM doesn’t do anything that gives the player anymore use or play than without it. In fact, it’s even worse because it makes games and software refuse to play unless the customer abides by the publisher’s rules and no one else’s. Services like Steam and Origin try to provide a service to the customer, but you’re always shackled to their customer control software because of paranoia that the customer might steal a product they already bought.

It’s like how I saw a news article where an investment banker kept getting complaints about the inflation with food and gas from his decisions, but the banker fires back that the electronic devices people love are getting cheaper because of him. Stuff he can afford, like an iPad, and not everyone else has the luxury to afford because of the sociopathic, “Capitalism is God” economy we have.

This isn’t just Ubisoft, it’s a symptom of something much worse going on in our world.

#32 1 year ago
  33. RocknRolla

What a bunch of idiots claiming they ” FEEL” the audience is ready for “always on” seriously? are people this stupid today?? I am the audience and millions others raging on the internet about how bad of an idea it is to get a always on console? aren´t Microsoft, Ubisoft etc etc paying attention to all outrages online? hahahaha :D I am laughing because I am so mad I don´t know what to do :D stupid cunt I WILL NEVER BUY A “ALWAYS ON” CONSOLE, not today not tomorrow not in three years ffs #Deal with it!

#33 1 year ago
  34. Bsboukll

Ubisoft of ALL companies “suspect that the audience is ready” for an always on console based on… what exactly?
    Did they already forget the sheer volume of hatred people threw at their DRM which did exactly that about a year ago until they had to scrap it?
    Idiots.