Skyrim’s DLC slate has ended as Bethesda moves on to “next adventure”

Monday, 15th April 2013 15:52 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’s DLC run has officially ended, developer Bethesda has confirmed. The team will still provide updates to improve stability moving forward, but now it’s all hands on deck for the studio’s next game.

Bethesda made the announcement in a new blog post which was brought to our attention by Kotaku. Thanks guys.

The post reads, “For the last year and a half we’ve been working on new content for Skyrim; from the game updates, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop, Kinect support, to DLCs.

“Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio’s full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet.

“Even though we’re moving on, we’ll still have minor updates to Skyrim as needed. We’ve invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it.”

So, who else would love the studio’s next game to be Fallout 4? Hands up.

1. Mus42

Fallout 4 pls, thx.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Cobra951

Too bad their “slates” end before they even come close to full debugging. These people can’t program their way out of a paper bag.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheKeyPit

I smell game-of-the-year edition.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Erthazus

Fallout 4… It’s going to be a “great adventure” full of stupid dialogs, bugs and broken V.A.T.S. system. Obviously.

#4 1 year ago
  5. jldoom

@3 Exactly what I was thinking! Lol, I’ve been waiting for it the whole time. I’ve seen the game as low as $15 US now, and I’ve been tempted buy it but I’m holding out.

#5 1 year ago
  6. jldoom

@4 No faith in Bethesda? Lol

#6 1 year ago
  7. TheWulf

Well, here’s hoping they go with an actually interesting setting, this time. I’d actually like some mystery and wonder involved within my games. Morrowind had that in spades, but both Oblivion and Skyrim fell short. With the latter it feels like they’re more political than having any kind of intrigue. Skyrim was basically racism versus fascism, and the evils of racism. (Personally, I solved the “Blades problem” by using the console to turn them into dragons. How they’ll handle that is up to them, but I digress.)

I’d love to see them do Elsweyr or Blackmarsh, really. There’s a lot of unknowns, there, and the Khajiit lands are still very much undiscovered country. But they’re also old lands, to the point where the Khajiit actually recognise that the Aedra/Daedra situation isn’t all black and white. Y’know what? I could really go for a murder-mystery set in Elsweyr. Unusual setting and an unusual plotline.

Instead of saving the world, you’re trying to learn the identity of a particularly clever serial killer who’s going after important figures for as yet unknown reasons. I’d love to see how they’d work magicks into solving crimes. But that’s just me.

Instead, it’s likely going to be Redguard, it’s going to deal with racism and politics, and it’s going to about saving the world and killing shit.

Mainstream, why are you so fucking boring?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Francis O

Fallout New Vegas was so broken, I couldn’t even finish the game. Bethesda just sucks at programming. Why are their games so damn buggy?

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

@4 But you’ll buy it on PC anyway lol, because you know mod support makes all the problems go away eventually :P

On topic, Fallout 4 please kthnxbai

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

“because you know mod support makes all the problems go away eventually ”

Mods does not fix core gameplay, statistics issues and shitty dialogs.
    If Bethesda will make Fallout 4 (they will), it will be still behind Fallout 2 in everything.

Just better graphics.

but you are right actually. Mods always save the day.

#10 1 year ago
  11. CyberMarco

Bring Skyrim GOTY already!

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

What about all the broken quests in Skyrim? It’s kinda hard to trust in Bethesda when they just leave a mess behind like that.

#12 1 year ago
  13. GwynbleiddiuM

@8 And it’s ironic that New Vegas is the best game that have a Bethesda logo on it in the past decade. Yes it was broken at launch, yes it took Obsidian a lot of time to fix it, yet they fixed it and it still is the best game Bethesda published, and another ironic fact is they weren’t the lot who made it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Erthazus

Fallout: New Vegas was awesome though. It would be awesome if engine and stuff was made by team in Bethesda and everything else in Obsidian.

Obsidian was always bad at testing their products. They are always awesome and broken.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Edo

Fallout 4…shut up and take my bottle caps!

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dark

WE NEED FALLOUT4 FOR NEXT-GEN PLZ BETHESDA!!!

#16 1 year ago
  17. macronia

I want fallout 4 with more stable engine and more story driven long main quest not extend gameplay time with nonsense side quests … i played fallout NV and it was very cool and i am going to play it again GOTY version , btw skyrim sucks .. nice world though but quests seemed repetitive … no good story that suck u in and keeps u playing the game .

#17 1 year ago
  18. Uncontested

Does DLC being over mean there won’t be an “Expansion” pack?? I’m really surprised they didn’t milk Skyrim for more DLC wise… was such an epic game but the DLC really did blow chunks..

I still think Fallout 3 did it best with DLC.. really some immersive pieces of content there. Hell they could have made an entire separate game based on “The Pitt” imo.

#18 1 year ago
  19. fearmonkey

I am disappointed that there isn’t one last official Skyrim DLC, as they waited quite awhile to say sorry, no more DLC for you. I was hoping for four DLC at least, One big, 1 medium, and two smaller DLC. I guess i will have to be happy with fan generated content, which is always good, but I like offical releases.

I guess this pretty proves we should be seeing Fallout 4 soon at E3 or before, as Bethesda usually cuts of DLC not too long before an announcement.

I personally would love the next gen elder Scrolls to be in Black marsh with realistic swamps or Summerset isle. What I really don’t want is anything Desert or tropical as there is so much of that in games already. A game based on Daedric locations, Akavir, or something really new would be great.

#19 1 year ago
  20. YoungZer0

@12:

“The team will still provide updates to improve stability moving forward”

I agree with Erth here, no mod could fix the dialogs and the story of Fallout 3.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DSB

@21 But that’s what they’ve been doing so far, and they’ve fixed next to nothing in terms of the actual quests themselves. It’s mostly been optimization, and that’s one thing I haven’t had any major issues with.

#21 1 year ago
  22. YoungZer0

I only had one quest that I had trouble with, everything else worked out just fine. They never seemed to have fixed it though.

#22 1 year ago
  23. DSB

@23 That’s hard to believe. I haven’t had a playthrough without a backlog of broken quests. Usually it’s because someone didn’t write them well enough, and you can actually fix them just by using the console.

It’s just ridiculous that you’d have to.

#23 1 year ago
  24. YoungZer0

Sorry to hear that. But as I said, I only had problems with one quest. Fixed that with the console too. The others worked fine.

#24 1 year ago
  25. CaptPierce

A meh DLC about vampires, a broken house builder no one gives a shit about and one good one that costs $20. When they had held out on most of this content for half a year for some of its customers. Yeah, fuck you too Bethesda.

I won’t be investing in their products anytime soon, at least until I know that they didn’t program it with their thumbs in their asses the entire time.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

^ Thats a negative spin on it.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Eddie Rodrigues

@10 Suppress Fallout 2? You mean exactly what they did on Fallout 3 and New Vegas?

@18 So a simple thing like QUESTS that can be fixed or even add new ones with mods qualifies a game as bad? Puh-lease

#27 1 year ago
  28. CPC_RedDawn

Why on earth are people asking for MORE sequels???

Yes sure Fallout 4 will be a great game and I am sure they are already hard at work on many aspects of that game.

However, I would much much prefer a new IP from them. Something different, using a new engine.

There are talks about Bethesda buying out some of LucasArts old IP’s… Now that would be good. A Star Wars game from Bethesda would be a lot more interesting to me than Fallout 4.

Unless they do something completely different with Fallout 4 and not just another post apocalyptic city.

#28 1 year ago
  29. CaptPierce

Hah, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the game as a whole, and Bethesda does make some excellent titles. However, what they did (and have always done) in regards to DLC and functionality is unacceptable. No formal apology, just a “this game making stuff is hard” response to the criticism they got for the PS3 version, and they weren’t in any hurry to fix the problems on other versions either. The amount of people that work on that game, the millions of dollars they spend creating and marketing, they should know how to program for something they’ve been working on for 6-7 years. I liked New Vegas, but I’m amazed I turned around even after that other level of game-breaking bug hell. Learned my lesson to not buy their stuff first day it comes out, if probably at all, after this.

#29 1 year ago
  30. akembles

Hang on, what about that huge deal Bethesda made about the Skyrim DLC. They said they wanted to create huge DLC’s that weren’t just 2 hour quests. I am still waiting for a DLC to rival Oblivion: The Shivering Isles. Now THAT was a DLC, I want one like that for Skyrim before they scrap it. Also there are still things I would like to know about the history of the game.

#30 12 months ago
  31. ohAmex

I would rather have a new DLC for skyrim then a new game…

#31 12 months ago
  32. DKdaedra57

Screw Fallout 4, I want the Elder Scrolls VI: Elsweyr!!!

#32 11 months ago
  33. Christopher Jack

@28, People are comfortable with universes they have invested time in & grown to love. Just look at Star Wars for example.

#33 11 months ago
  34. vXf1nAlSpYd3rXv

I know it’s late to comment but I just found this thread. A lot of you complain about the company and bag on their skills, but you all still play what they make and still try to dream of what they make next. Look no company not even blizzard can match the sense of individual adventure you can have when playing these games. Nor can you create and take part of making your own rules and adventures as well as every Fallout Or Elder Scrolls games they are almost endless games. They are buggy because they offer way more than any other game, I mean it’s not the highest end of graphics or story line or whatever your complaint is it’s a “LITERALLY” OPEN WORLD GAME inside and out. And consoles can barely contain the power of these games they have more bugs than pc, and there isn’t even mods or creation kit’s. Stop complaining, if you can do better let’s see it!!!!

#34 4 months ago