Nintendo Korea landed in hot water over sexist slur

Monday, 15th April 2013 12:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo of Korea is being slammed after its Twitter account tweeted out a sexist comment regarding TV weather reporter Eun Ji Park.

Kotaku reports that Park is now a big TV celebrity in South Korea, and that the tweet in question reads:

“She should have just stayed as a TV Meteorologist. Getting all the work done on her face like that. How come a brainless b***h like you gets the entire spotlight? Who is your sponsor? TV…sigh…”

“Sponsor” is supposedly Korean slang for “Sugar daddy”, the site added.

Speaking with Korean site Naver, a Nintendo rep said, “We’ve determined no employee has posted such comment on our Twitter account. We’d like to know how this ended up on our Twitter. This matter is frustrating.” It is believed that an employee used the account by mistake, instead of their personal feed.

Oh dear.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. TheKeyPit

Ouch!

#1 1 year ago
  2. polygem

Deal with it!

#2 1 year ago
  3. DeVitowned

And the sexist slur is the only detail wrong with that tweet?

#3 1 year ago
  4. zinc

I bet it was another women who sent that tweet. I’d almost guarantee it.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

“Sponsor” lulz.

Cue the Benny Hill theme!

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

@4 Yeah, this. After a quick google search, it would appear she is well known for provocative pictures and this we all know incites jealousy.
    Not saying its right in any way, this was a stupid mistake and shouldn’t really have been said publicly at all, even in a personal feed as it was implied it was meant for. When will people learn!

#6 1 year ago
  7. DeVitowned

@Zinc

Yeah, it just reeks of jealousy.

#7 1 year ago
  8. zinc

The culprit?

#8 1 year ago
  9. sh4dow

@6: So privately, it would have been OK? :P

#9 1 year ago
  10. theevilaires

brainless bitch… :D …I like that.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Samoan Spider

@9 Its not *right* in any circumstance, but when I have negative things to say about people I select my audience VERY carefully and Twitter/Facebook/Forums just aren’t the places for it :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. Bashtee

Whoever posted this, must me sweating blood. Loosing the job is just a formality right now.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Mus42

#12 Losing their job? I guess it depends who their “Sponsor” is? :D

#13 1 year ago
  14. xxJPRACERxx

@9 Privately I can say I do what I want… What’s your point?

#14 1 year ago
  15. rockman29

The sexism of the East and some other countries is despicable. Revisionist history on top of all of it. Saddens me greatly to know how culture is so prideful to suppress half of our species.

Some of these cultures and countries need to grow up.

#15 1 year ago