The Elder Scrolls Online footage leaked

Sunday, 14th April 2013 23:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A video has turned up online showing almost 20 minutes of The Elder Scrolls Online, presumably captured from a recent beta event. It demonstrates the character creator, dialogue, and the player dashing about a sandy environment, fighting wolves and doing emotes.

Zenimax has shut down multiple YouTube mirrors and will no doubt continue to do so, so check out this alternate embed quickly before it also vanishes.

Capturing and uploading footage from closed testing is almost always in violation of beta NDAs, and the results are rarely representative of the finished product. We’re expecting The Elder Scrolls Online sometime later this year.

The Elder Scrolls Online – Leaked gameplay footage by shadowkid_86

1. HauntaVirus

Wow, I hope this is pre-alpha footage.

2. DSB

I hope they don’t try to charge a subscription for that.

3. Phoenixblight

Damn I missed it. THe video was taken down

4. Erthazus

This shit is not worth playing even for free.

I said from the start when I saw Elder Scrolls Online screenshot that this shit is going to be so bad.

5. Richenbaum

looks like another straight WoW clone. glad I won’t be missing out on anything.

6. DSB

It looked a whole lot like Age of Conan.

7. Texamon

no working link :(

8. Dark

SWTOR 2.0

9. Erthazus

It’s Everquest II Rip Off to be honest. There are even devs from previous Camelot and Everquest II.

10. Brenna Hillier

Another mirror’s gone down? Zenimax are quick. Richenbaum’s link is working at time of writing.

The negative reaction to this footage is precisely why closed tests have NDAs; the finished game could look very, very different to this.

11. Phoenixblight

Exactly if people compared WOW alpha to its release they would clearly see it was a completely different game and would say that it was never going to get off the ground.

Hell I was in Wrath of the Lich King’s alpha and even that was pretty horrendous. This game is pretty functional and the fact that you can attack in real time like TES games makes it interesting.

12. DSB

But then you always have people saying that whenever there’s a bad beta out there. From Diablo 3, WAR, Conan, APB. Everybody hopes for a final version that somehow fixes everything, but sometimes what you see is just what you get.

13. Phoenixblight

Absolutely right. But its not always the rule. THe gameplay is interesting enough for me to try out.

WAR and COnan eventually became better games the problem was/is they were too late to fix the things they needed to in order to carve themself a market.

I enjoyed both of those games 6 months to a year after release.

14. Brenna Hillier

Yeah, The Secret World got a lot better about three months on from release, that’s for sure.

I really can’t see Bethesda signing off on release if TESO isn’t up to par; it’s more likely to delay, since TES is such an important brand.

15. Richenbaum

Yeah deep down inside I’m sure it will be fun, but I just don’t want to get into an mmo ever again and really don’t have the time to these days anyway, so I’m just going to keep pretending that it will be terrible.

16. zinc

This will be a nextbox exclusive. I’ll put money on it.

17. UuBuU

They have really missed the ball on this one ~ by making an MMO so generic it wont stand out in the crowd ~ while at the same time completely failing to win over elder scrolls fans with an overall style that isnt true to the series.

18. LordSkyline

I don’t know Brenna, as important as the series is for Bethesda, the TES games have been known to be quite buggy on Release and for a good while after Release.

I’ll gladly have them surprise me but as of now I’m not at all excited about this game. Probably too many let downs from the MMO Genre as of late. #tired

19. Kabby

It looked visually poor and barren. The gameplay also showed nothing you would call good, either. It looked two years from completion.

20. Brenna Hillier

@18 it will probably be as buggy as a three-week old corpse, yeah. But I don’t think it will be, like, rough. It won’t be a sub-standard game; it might be a good game which is hopelessly broken for a while, though.

21. tmac2011

this just for pc?

22. Diingo

The FPS mode has no hands or swords…. wow, why even bother playing it?

23. Brenna Hillier

@21 and Mac, but no consoles.

24. Joe_Gamer

After watching it, I’m not surprised they are desperate to take it down…Yup, I won’t be buying that one. Either you get what makes multiplayer fun or you don’t, and I’d say that, like Bioware before them these paragons of single player excellence just don’t get it. I am saddened to see them wasting time on this. What’s next? a god damn Elder Scrolls MOBA, “everyones making tons of cash with these MOBA things, we need to make us one of those!”…

My favorite part was when he almost got killed by a mudcrab lol

25. fearmonkey

I managed to find it on a few sites, including one where you could download it…..

Oh man……This is so generic looking it’s painful. I can say that there is noting about the game in that video that screams “This is Elder Scrolls”. Zenimax needs to really step back and take a long hard look and ask themselves what they want to do here. If they want another Age of Conan/SWTOR type of fiasco, then they will surely have it…

The art style and models are so generic, the music isn’t bad but its nothing like Jeremy Soule’s music, the brief look at the dwarven ruin style art looks so bleh/

Everything about what was in that video screams “Its just a typical mmo”. Zenimax had an opportunity to do something really different, and instead we have what resembles Age of Conan meets Elder Scrolls meets even more generic MMO. IF this is any indication, TESO wont be the next big MMO. In expected it to be better than this, and I had low expectations to begin with.

26. Phoenixblight

You do know this has nothing to do with the developers of TES other than name. Its not the same developers. Its zenimax a studio made just for this IP.

27. Diingo

Developers need to step away from MMMOs for another 5-10 years. They should not make an MMO unless it plays exactly like Skyrim. We need far better internet connections such as Google Fiber before we could reach that level…. it’s gonna take at least another 5-10 years.

28. Joe_Gamer

@26, No, I do not know that, nor do I believe it. Can you honestly tell me that NO RESOURCES were diverted to this new studio that couldn’t have been better spent on their single player games? Heh, actually I haven’t been following this game at all so I’ll trust your word on it. I do think that this bland wagon mmo will be lost in a sea of mediocre mmo’s, I hope it looks so bland because they are aware of this and haven’t wasted much money on it. I love TES but this? This is not going to do the brand any favors.

29. Phoenixblight

Maybe but Zenimax made this studio just to go after the MMO market. I am pretty much with you they could have made another IP but they went with making a MMO using a brand that is known.

I was just pointing out this isn’t Bathesda or the same developers as the previous TES titles. They wanted to make an MMO so they grabbed a bunch of people that have worked on past MMOs.

30. kangaroozach

I hope all of you realise that a lot of the graphical content is compressed due to file size. He’s running the game on low, despite what the settings say. Compare this to the footage of the PAX East tutorial. Totally different. Even the bloody font is different to this. Why flesh out your assumptions on leaked footage of an early beta? Have you not researched at all? Countless journos and gaming sites have praised the versions they played in early hands-on demos. Besides, the guy who posted this was going in with an already negative outlook. My say is that don’t compare this to the final product. This is beta, and I know, I’m going to get ‘But, most MMOs hardly change from their betas, betas are a marketing tool blahblah…’ But in all seriousness, this build is different to the one they used at PAX and the ones given to the journos. The journos even played the same area and said it was beautiful. Every. single. one. I’m no fanboy of The Elder Scrolls either. I just do my research.

31. kangaroozach

For the curious ones, here’s the PAX East video: http://vimeo.com/62714951

32. deathm00n

@30, 31 Finally someone with sense.

You are simply ignorant if you compare this to WoW. AND it’s a beta for a game that has no launch date and they said there’s going to be at least more 5 betas before release.