Tomb Raider Japanese voiceover pack will cost $30 on Steam

Saturday, 13th April 2013 14:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Tomb Raider is getting a Japanese voice-over pack on Steam. It includes both subtitles and spoken Japanese. It will cost $30, where as the version which lands at Japanese retail will have support included.

We’re used to hearing about games costing more in Japan than many other places, but here is where things take an odd turn.

According to a poster on NeoGAF, the Steam version of the game originally contained Japanese language support along with at least seven other languages, not counting the ones with subtitles as the only option.

According to the poster, during a patch, Japanese language support was taken out. So, apparently, the support was not supposed to be included in the first place and was instead an accidental exploit of sorts being used by players in Japan who purchased the game through Steam. If that is indeed the case. We’ll send a mail.

Tomb Raider releases in Japan on April 25.

Via Kotaku.

1. Ercarret

Wait, what? They shipped the game with “accidental” localization, patched it out, and now tries to sell it back for $30? Or did I understand it wrong?

I’m confused…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

30? Are Square Enix trying to recoup from their “Commericial Failure” :D

#2 1 year ago
  3. dizzygear

You know. Selling a Japanese audio pack would have made sense with a Final Fantasy game since weeaboo’s have been whining about that since forever. But Tomb Raider of all games??

Squeenix really needs to find some new management…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Supposedly. I can’t find anything stating it was there and it was pulled (like patch notes, players noting it on a forum) so that’s why I put in “If that is indeed the case.” Not that I am calling anyone a liar, it’s just I can’t find it personally. I will look around more a bit later and see what I can come up with.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

“So, IN other words, the support…”

It’s a fucking disgrace, charging $30 for this…

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

Wow, well done Square. Even EA hadn’t sunk this low. You finish the game WITH Jap audio, then patch it OUT, put the game without that online and then CHARGE 30 bucks for that? You have defeated EA and the rest at their own game.

#6 1 year ago
  7. OnionPowder

Some context from a person who is fimiliar with the situation:

- Tomb Raider comes out in Japan on April 25 2013, at the price of 8000yen (80 USD).
    - The Japanese release includes voices in English or Japanese, and Japanese text. This differs it from the version sold in US and Europe where the voice options are only in English.
    - Somehow it appears the PC Tomb Raider release on Steam was available for purchase in Japan at the US/Europe release price of 50 USD when it was released last month.
    - Additionally it appears that someone fucked up massively and included all the language content meant for the Japanese release along with the package.
    - So for a period of time Japanese fans were able to buy Tomb Raider on Steam for 50 bucks, and enjoy Japanese language support, a whole month before the release in Japan.
    - Someone found out, panicked, and removed the language content support so Japanese consumers would no longer be able to buy a fully functional Japanese version of Tomb Raider at almost half the price and a month before it is released in Japan.
    - Now that the Japanese launch is finally arriving, they are offering the option for anyone who used the previous “exploit” to top up the 30 dollars of difference to regain access to the Japanese language options.

From Square Enix’s perspective, what they were doing was closing a reverse import regional loophole, and now they are offering an olive branch to fans who used that exploit so they don’t have to sit on a useless 50 buck English-only Tomb Raider. From the perspective of everyone else, Square Enix is scamming everyone.

Source:

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

Well yeah, trying to cram the genie back in the bottle and then charging people 30 dollars for you to take it out again would be a pretty effective way of making yourselves look like complete assholes.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Stephany Nunneley

@7 Yeah, that’s the same information posted into the OP comment I linked to up there. Again, I’m still looking into this a bit more to see if I can find when it happened.

#9 1 year ago
  10. kadu

There are so many awards. Game ofthe year, shooter of the year, whateveryoulike of the year. It’s high time we have the most retarded decision of the year award. There would be so much competition!

#10 1 year ago
  11. RocknRolla

I am so angry with these news unbelievable. I haven’t bought this game yet, but now I will definetly skip this, to pay for a extra language are Square enix fucking kidding me?? I will never support them again, I will be downloading their games on PC for free from now on.. Believe that ;D greedy cunts..

#11 1 year ago
  12. Vice

So in short, learn to pronounce L, japs!

#12 1 year ago
  13. Digital Bamboo

@12 First he was sexist, now he’s racist. Who will he belittle next?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Telepathic.Geometry

I’m gonna go with religion.

#14 1 year ago