EA staff cuts hit customer service center in Galway

Saturday, 13th April 2013 20:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA has lad-off an undisclosed number of number staff members at its customer service center in Galway, reports Ireland’s The Journal. When asked for a statement on the matter, the firm provided the trade outlet with the same response given to the lay-offs which occurred earlier in the week in Montreal. In September of last year, EA announced it would add 300 new jobs to the 200 already present at its Galway offices, through an IDA Ireland-supported expansion. While EA would not comment on the number affected, the trade journal understands the number of cuts equate to less than 20 positions. Thanks, Sorvin.

1. sb319

It seems to me that EA and Sony are the worst offenders for rapidly alternating between hiring and firing. The way they mess about with people’s lives is shocking.

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

@1, could you be more dramatic about it?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Telepathic.Geometry

“EA has LAID off…”

#3 1 year ago
  4. Richenbaum

@1 This is happening because they are losing a lot of money right now, not because of some secret evil plan to hire a bunch of people just to fire them. I bet you were one of those “that evil EA should go bankrupt!” people just last week too. Well this is what happens when companies start failing in the real world.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Talkar

Are you really so naive you blindly follow the beliefs of reddit?

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

@TG, they should just hire you as an editor… ;)

@4, I know, right? Never mind the 200 jobs created… How dare they make cuts!

#6 1 year ago
  7. sb319

I’ve had a lot of friends lose their jobs at EA over the years, only to have the same jobs offered back a few months later. Similarly after the last big round of Sony layoffs, all the affected studios were hiring again within a few months.

If you don’t work in the business then I guess you won’t appreciate how much of a problem it is, but anyone who has had to repeatedly sell their family home, move city / country again, find their kids new schools etc because of these kinds of bullshit games that certain employers play will know what I’m talking about. To put people and their families through this kind of thing again and again just for the sake convincing some shareholders that you’re taking great cost-cutting measures, albeit completely impractical and temporary ones, is pretty galling when you’ve been through it a few times.

#7 1 year ago
  8. viralshag

@7, to be honest if that happens once why would you go back to that company where there is a possibility it would happen again?

And you don’t need to work in “that” industry at this time to “get it”, redundancy is quite rife all over the place. I don’t see why game companies would be immune to the problems all businesses face. That’s something people don’t quite seem to get, that these are businesses just like any others and share the same problems. Yeah it’s horrible for people to lose their job but really, it’s no worse for people in the games industry than any other…

#8 1 year ago
  9. Telepathic.Geometry

@viral: Hire? I’d do it for free if they’d let me!

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

@TG, well now they have that in writing I expect to see this happening!

#10 1 year ago
  11. GwynbleiddiuM

Oh wait! EA has customer service centers? That is new to me…

#11 1 year ago
  12. Talkar

I think it is common practice in the industry. The place i work at do the same thing.

#12 1 year ago
  13. sb319

@8 You misunderstand. I’m talking about redundancies which are followed by a hiring drive a few months later. It’s idiotic. Of course you’d never go back to any of these places, but the point is that these studios should be named and shamed for playing silly buggers with people’s lives. Redundancies are one thing, and sometimes inevitable, but when you see the same companies constantly laying people off only to go on a big hiring push a few months later, you have to wonder what the fuck is going on.

#13 1 year ago