Violent games are “a kind of simulator”, and “enable” killers, says US senator

Friday, 12th April 2013 00:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Speaking on US TV, Dianne Feinstein seems to have suggested that games can be a kind of aid or crutch for those inclined towards violent acts.

“I think the really violent video game becomes a kind of simulator to practice on,” the democratic senator said on MSNBC’s Morning Joe, as reported by Gamespot.

“And it enables the individual to become much more familiar with that depiction of death and blood.”

Interestingly, Feinstein was talking about games which portray violence in an exaggerated fashion.

“Of course it’s not the way it is in real life,” she said.

Feinstein said last week that games play a “very negative role” in young people’s lives, and that Congress should consider regulating games. However, she’s also bang hot on gun control, saying the NRA and gun manufacturers are bullying their way out of reforms.

[image]

1. Mineral4r7s

Can someone explain to me why all the world wars started when there were no violent computer games back then? And whats with all the wars previous to that?
    I am confused as computer games seem to be the root of all evil.
    How about the witch hunts? Whats with Jack the Ripper, did he play violent video games too?
    Why am I so confused by this statement? Is my sense of reality so wrong?
    I mean it only can be as she is a Senator and I am just a normal citizen.
    Somethings off.
    Stop messing with my mind!

(beware of wild irony)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Djoenz

I read two reports recently that 2 kids about 4 years old shot people by accident in America. One kid shot a woman and the other shot a friend I believe. Not only are guns allowed they seem to be lying around and loaded. One incident was actually at a cop’s house. He was showing his arsenal to someone.

Nice. mentality gunslingers! Pointing fingers is easy.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

To this I say:

#3 1 year ago
  4. actuallyisnotafox

i really wish we could ban all video games from these people and there familes and be like oh mario? it promotes jumping on peoples heads.. skylanders? well the fire creature promotes arson -.-

#4 1 year ago
  5. povu

Before videogames everything was caused by TV. Before that, rock ‘n roll music. Before that, probably books. Games is just the latest new form of media and that makes it the least understood, and easiest to blame for things with different underlying causes entirely.

#5 1 year ago
  6. theevilaires

Why doesn’t she try them out for herself instead of “thinking” they are. If I was a chosen representative of the people I wouldn’t think so much. I would know or I wouldn’t.

#6 1 year ago
  7. zinc

Well good luck to any wannabe murderer who is taking lessons from GTA. I would love to see the look on their face when the police still give chase AFTER their getaway car is resprayed.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Richenbaum

@#6 Because that would instantly disprove her theory and she’d need to find some other way to lobby for media attention. She doesn’t give a shit about this, it’s just an easy way to rile up the ignorant everything-fearing masses (or as we call it here, the south) who would rather throw around blame than actually take parental responsibility. Everyone do a nice slow clap for the government employed troll.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Clupula

It’s really sad to see this woman is still in power, considering back in high school, I had a videotape of a Dead Kennedys performance from the 80′s where Jello Biafra is going off on her for being a “banker-butt-licker” and a “dragon lady with no fucking heart” for closing down underground venues in the San Francisco area.

At yet, here we are, thirty-something years later, and she’s still trying to get rid of things she doesn’t understand.

#9 1 year ago
  10. theevilaires

@8 Yea I know I’m just so amped up after my Assassin Creed’s killing simulation training earlier today I think I’m going to head to my nearest White Castle and climb to the top then jump off and stab somebody for their food cause I’m starving right about now :D

#10 1 year ago
  11. tmac2011

now i hate this senator too, those people are insane. i play video games and own an ar 15, and a 45 handgun CCL. i never watch msnbc either,dont get me started on those people. kids today dont know the differences between whats real and not real and thats the problem, also the parents dont pay attention to what their kids play. letting a 10 year old play call of duty or battlefield and gta isnt a good idea and thats why there are erbs, to let the parents know what game they should by for them. and my dad is in the marines so ive been trained on how to use guns.

#11 1 year ago
  12. NightCrawler1970

WHY DONT YOU STFU AND GO KNIT YA @SS OFF BIMBO!!!!

Games are not violence, people are violence!!!!!

#12 1 year ago
  13. Erthazus

#13 1 year ago
  14. GwynbleiddiuM

I suppose any idiot can become a US Senator these days, they should start installing some manner of filtration system so every motherfucker who can put a few words together don’t get the chance to become a US FUCKING SENATOR.

#14 1 year ago
  15. YoungZer0

@14: Then the US wouldn’t have any senators.

#15 1 year ago
  16. MadFlavour

This is retarded. Games aren’t to blame.

Marylin Manson and the video nasties are. Also comic books, Rock ‘n’ Roll, the moving pictures, and Elvis’s pelvic gyrations.

#16 1 year ago
  17. redwood

Elvis’s pelvic gyrations for sure…

#17 1 year ago
  18. Mjorh

They can’t find anything 2 blame except Games !

i’ve learned so much from games n i’m not a murderer ! ! !

Lame excuses !

#18 1 year ago
  19. silkvg247

They have to blame something because if they don’t then they’d have to accept that we are flawed beings. Some more than others.

#19 1 year ago
  20. deathm00n

The parents are the one to blame, some weeks ago I was at a store and a kid of about 5 years old was crying with a God of War Ascension in his hand wanting his dad to buy it. Guess what, he bought it. It got a black 18 (meaning it’s the worst kind of shit only adults can play) stamped in the front cover!

I played very brutal games when I was young. But back then there was not so much realism, so I wasn’t affected by it. But there’s executions in GoW multiplayer that are disturbing to say the least.

Not that I’m saying that games really affect people, but if it does they are not the only one to blame.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@20 – Jesus Christ, so you’re not only annoying about PC gaming, but you’re one of those Alex Jones/David Icke lunatics, as well. Oh no! The lizard men are coming!

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hcw87

Fix your gun laws before blaming games. Every retard with half a brain can get their hands on a gun these days. I would hate to be living in the US, wouldn’t feel safe at all.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Clupula

@23 – As someone who lives in the United States, I don’t fear people having guns, at all. It’s about the society itself, not the amount of firearms people have.

Canada has more guns per person than the United States has, believe it or not, but you don’t see this sort of shit going on up there. It’s a problem with mental health funding, which had $80-something billion cut from it last year alone. And then you’ve got laws, like the one over here in New York City that say that you can’t forcibly commit someone who is visibly insane and visibly dangerous for than 24 hours until they actually do hurt or kill someone. Even then, they are usually just recycled through the system in a couple of years and then unsupervised because there isn’t enough funding to have someone do that.

Crazy people will use whatever they have access to use. Disarming law abiding citizens is not the answer, although I will say that I hate this paranoia that so many pro-gun people have when it comes to waiting lists and background checks, which I think should be absolutely required.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Phoenixblight

“I also find it interesting that no one ever makes mention of the fact that the day a gunman opened fire on a group of innocent school children in the states, there was a similar incident in China, only the man used a knife.”

Yeah he did use a knife and guess what? No one died where Sandy hook a lot of people died because the killer was using guns.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Clupula

@25 – you are absolutely right. No one has ever died from a knife.

Wars were really about who could more mildly injure the other side up until the invention of gun powder.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DSB

@26 I don’t think you could make a much worse argument. Most of those wars killed far fewer soldiers than the ones of the gunpowder era.

#26 1 year ago
  27. YoungZer0

@26: Purposely missing his point or did you just misread his comment?

Also wasn’t there just a mass-stabbing at Lone Star Community College campus in Cypress, Texas the other day? 14 injured, 2 critical. He was wrestled to the ground by fellow students.

Think he would’ve killed more if it was a gun? I’d bet on it.

Meanwhile a 4-year old boy shot and killed the wife of a Tennessee sheriff’s deputy over the weekend.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Hcw87

There is no reason why normal citizens should carry guns. Sure, it may be too late to disarm everyone now, but if you reinforce the gun laws, crime WILL go down.

#28 1 year ago
  29. fearmonkey

@29 – yeah that has worked so well for large cities like NY, Detroit, Philly, and Chicago where most gun violence is from non-registered and non-legal gun owners. The only thing that disarming would do is make sure that people are defenseless against thugs….

I have a friend who got shot in New jersey while walking up the street, and he didn’t have a concealed carry. If he did, he probably wouldn’t have got shot and the guy that shot him wouldn’t be a danger to anyone else. I grew up in the country, everyone had guns, no one got shot, and there was little crime.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Clupula

@28 – And on the Long Island Railroad, a gunman named Colin Ferguson was wrestled to the ground by the passengers when he started shooting people.

I’m not someone who believes that everyone should have unrestricted access to guns. I believe in background checks and in waiting periods and don’t believe you need an M4 for home protection. However, I don’t think there’s any purpose to preventing someone with no criminal record and no record of mental illness from being allowed to buy something for hunting or home protection. I live in New York City and it’s almost impossible to legally purchase a gun here.

The bottom line is that preventing the average citizen from holding just keeps the average citizen unprotected.

As I said before, the major issue here is not the weapon, but the lack of mental help for those who use the weapons. Look it up. The Newton shooting was not performed by a licensed gun owner. Stricter laws wouldn’t have stopped him at all.

#30 1 year ago
  31. DSB

I think that article frames it better than any others I’ve seen.

It’s not black and white, but at the end of the day, the only way to get guns off the streets is to take them off the streets.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Djoenz

USA will never get rid of the weapons division/armsdeal/armstrade cause its a big ass income for them.

Im dutch btw so what the hell do I know.

#32 1 year ago
  33. bugmenot

Feinstein is such a crook. She blames videogames while she funnels money from the defense department to her husband. So who is responsible for the most deaths in this country? A few videogamers with mental illness or the chair of the US war machine who sends our kids to die in a country that had nothing to do with 9/11?

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Army-contract-for-Feinstein-s-husband-Blum-is-a-2621196.php

#33 1 year ago
  34. Clupula

@34 – Feinswine is a complete piece of shit, no doubt about it.

#34 1 year ago
  35. YoungZer0

@31: To be clear, my point was that he stabbed 14 people, yet no one died. If the Airport shooter would’ve had the chance to shoot 14 people, how high would be their chance of survival?

“Yet, you know what? If I really wanted one to hurt people with, I know about five people, personally, I could illegally buy one from.”

Ain’t that the bigger problem? Shouldn’t the police do something about that, instead of arresting people for minor offenses like drug possession? What does it matter to the privatized prison system?

I just fail to understand how you need to invest more time and money into a drivers license than a gun license. I think the US needs better regulations, that’s all. Why the fuck can you buy an actual assault rifle for less than 200 euros? Even Airsoft weapons are much, much more expensive.

What do you even need an assault rifle for? For sports? For hunting? What kind of lousy shot are you that you need an assault rifle to hunt a deer?

Why can you buy 300-round magazines? What do you need it for? Why can you buy 1000 rounds on the internet. What do you need it for? Why does no one ask those questions when they sell people those things?!

Right now, people on the terrorist watchlist can buy a fucking gun. Don’t fool yourself, Obama’s going to do Jackshit about any of that. I think both sides of the conflict need to calm the fuck down and focus on actually doing something.

Every time a mass-shooting happens, the left demands the weapons to be taken off the streets and the right buys more guns in fear that they are taken all of their guns.

Think about that for a second, the NRA benefits from mass shootings. Insanity. Complete and utter insanity.

And politicians talk about videogames and gay marriage, instead of private prisons and gun violence.

#35 1 year ago