Nintendo closing several Wii online features in June

Friday, 12th April 2013 11:13 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo is closing several of the original Wii’s online channels and services in June.

CVG reports that Nintendo will shut down the following channels from June 28:

• Nintendo Channel
  • News Channel
  • Forecast Channel
  • Everybody Votes Channel
  • Mii Contest Channel
  • Data exchange with Wii Friends

Data exchange with Wii Friends will specifically close down the ability to send messages to friends, and will end Mii data exchange in some games, not all.

It had to happen sometime. The question is, are you that bothered any more?

Nintendo said in a statement, “We at Nintendo sincerely thank you for your continued patronage of our company’s products. We apologise to those of you currently using these services.”

1. kingofscotland

The Wii has online features?? :-)

#1 1 year ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

Oh snap!

#2 1 year ago
  3. DLTDawnlight

Nintendo Channel – Obsolete when you can use this channel’s features better on the Nintendo eShop. Nintendo Week was funny.

News Channel – Useless. The only thing I remember about this channel is messing around with the cat.

Forecast Channel – Who the hell uses their Wii every single morning to check the weather?

Everybody Votes Channel – Gimmicky. It’s like watching a kids show.

Mii Contest Channel – I don’t own a Wii U, but Nintendo could try to make Mii sharing better in the future.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Digital Bamboo

They probably could have just shut them down and nobody would have noticed. I have a Wii, and I’ve never once used any of those channels.

I don’t even like seeing them in my Wii menu, so I’m quite pleased about this news.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

Everybody Votes Channel going. That’s too bad. I admit I quite enjoyed this feature, just from the idea of they ask a question and your little character runs over to the quadrant. It was cute and simple, and while I played the Wii, I’d look out for the latest multiple-choicer, just for the mere spectacle of it, this quirky sideshow running each week. Seeing the result, and the fun in participating. It was a curiosity, only from Nintendo feature.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Cobra951

In other words, all of them! Or the ones I remember anyway. That doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in anything else Nintendo does online.

#6 1 year ago
  7. NeutralBlade

You’ll see the same trend with other consoles, some time after they’ve been replaced. Free online services are more likely to be discontinued well before subscription services. Since the Wii U has complete BC support, it’s not that big of a deal unless you don’t plan to upgrade.

The PS3′s online network is at risk of being gutted early in the PS4′s life cycle, since it’s mostly a free service. Microsoft will eventually follow suit but the 360′s service is mostly paid for, so it’s in a position to last much longer than any other service available.

When it comes down to it, no company is going to fully support two consoles, so this trend will continue until online support ends for the current generation. Hopefully neither of the next-gen consoles will have DRM schemes, (nothing is official on either side, and I’m waiting to see if there is a catch to Sony’s non-DRM, unofficial claim), because well after these system lose online support, we should be able to play our games freely, like we’ve always have.

#7 1 year ago