Crytek: graphics “matter,” are “60% of the game”

Friday, 12th April 2013 16:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has said graphics “matter” in a game because it drives gameplay and helps with player immersion.

Speaking with Xbox 360 Magazine, Yerli said graphics make up 60% of a game.

“People say that graphics don’t matter, but play Crysis and tell me they don’t matter,” he said. “It’s always been about graphics driving gameplay. Graphics, whether it’s lighting or shadows, puts you in a different emotional context and drives the immersion, and immersion is effectively the number one thing we can use to help you buy into the world.

“The better the graphics, the better the physics, the better the sound design, the better the technical assets and production values paired with the art direction, making things look spectacular and stylistic is 60% of the game.”

It’s rumored that Crytek’s gladiator game Ryse will be a launch title for the next Xbox console from Microsoft.

1. freedoms_stain

After playing Crysis 2, I think you need to reassess that viewpoint.

Play FTL, graphics are about 6% of that game.

#1 1 year ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

Define “matter”.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Eregol

Matter, generally is a substance (often a particle) that has rest mass and (usually) also volume. The volume is determined by the three-dimensional space it occupies, while the mass is defined by the usual ways that mass is measured. Matter is also a general term for the substance that makes up all observable physical objects

#3 1 year ago
  4. orakaa

Hahaha… oh, boy, this guy is funny. Seriously, between him and Cliff Bleszinski, is this “developper trolling day”, today?

Those guys really need to stop expressing themselves and media should stop relaying their bullsh*t.

And if graphics are 60% of the game, then I think it tells a lot about the “quality” of their next title, “Ryse”.
    I can already see first hands reactions
    Journalist: “This game has no story and is totally unplayable with Kinect!”
    Cevat: “Yeah… but who cares: it’s BEAUTIFUL!!!”

#4 1 year ago
  5. Strawb

@2: I assume he means “matter” like he explains it, i.e. graphics drive the immersion, plus the better graphics, the better the other technical assets are.

I don’t really agree with his point that graphics basically equal immersion, and are therefore the #1 thing that get you into the world of a game. Plenty of games have horrible graphics by design, and still manage to captivate the player. Graphics being 60% of a game depends completely on the game itself, and is not a set number across the board.

And unfortunately, in the cases where most of the production value is spent on graphics and other technical avenues, the gameplay seems lacking. So saying that graphics drive gameplay doesn’t seem very accurate to me.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Zana

More than graphics alone, I think what really matters is the art direction. I don’t want to play an ugly game.

#6 1 year ago
  7. MFBB

Well good graphics…Crysis 3 had those and it still sucked, didnt help at all.

Rather take a step back on the graphics (dont put so much time/effort in there) and make a better game.

When i think about the recent years…all those graphics bomb are not in my top 10.

#7 1 year ago
  8. foofly

Hmm… tell this to the millions of Minecraft players.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Erthazus

^ Tell them not to install mods that have much better looking visuals/ detailed blocks.

visuals do matter a lot. Always. If not, we would play NES games only.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps4fanboy

Agree with the guy. Visuals do matter.

#10 1 year ago
  11. The_Red

It’s funny how people either say “graphicz are everythinggg!!!!l1!!!” or “graphics don’t matter, gameplay is everything”.

Well, if it wasn’t for gameplay, the gaming would be nothing AND if it wasn’t for advanced graphics, we would still be playing Pong. BOTH graphics AND gameplay are important and have to be good. As for MineCraft, it’s actually a graphically TAXING game. They couldn’t even run it on 360 and had to downsize everything.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Beta

They matter yes. Want to know what else matters Crytek? FUN! Heard of it?

Otherwise it’s nothing but a glorified tech demo.

#12 1 year ago
  13. fearmonkey

Graphics do matter quite a bit, especially if the game is going for immersion. IF the game is not trying to immerse you in the world, then its not required to have awesome graphics.

That being said, focus on the graphics doesn’t not guarantee a good game, and it has to be properly balanced. I find Crytek games beautiful, but overall I dont find them in my top games ever, so they could be working on the gameplay more.

#13 1 year ago
  14. BD

I played Crysis 3 to the end, and I can safely say it was one of the worst games I have ever played.

Great graphics.

Awful game.

I contest the 60% assessment.

#14 1 year ago
  15. rockman29

Telltale’s Walking Dead graphics suck completely, but that game drew me in.

I say Yerli is wrong, as per usual.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Lord Gremlin

He’s an idiot. One of the most impressive games I’ve played recently was Persona 3 Portable. As for Crysis… I won’t play 3rd, because first was boring, second was straight up piece of shit and why would I even try the third?
    Jesus, he is an idiot indeed. Movies have awesome graphics. Like always. Some of them are garbage too.

I will put it this way. Graphics can amplify good parts of the game. But you need something to amplify in the first place.

#16 1 year ago
  17. TD_Monstrous69

The more quotes I see from Cevat Yerli, the more annoyed I grow with this guy. 60% of the game, really? Sure, graphics are important, but last time I checked, if your gameplay, story, sounds, and design suck, it means nothing on how your game looks. For then, all you’ve created is the world’s prettiest piece of shit, kind of like the story for Crysis games.

#17 1 year ago

If graphics = good, + gameplay = 0, game score = 0
    Do while
    Goto line 2
    End;

#19 1 year ago
  20. Max Payne

@17 Battlefield 3 SP and MOH approved.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Battler624

i assume minecraft has that extreme of graphics?

#21 1 year ago
  22. SplatteredHouse

I have played Crysis, and once out was enough to show me that for all the talking, the press, and all else; they couldn’t top the competing Far Cry, in terms of which, and how much I enjoyed playing.

“It’s always been about graphics driving gameplay.”
    In fact, it’s more the case, that Yerli’s business has always been about graphical majubbins. Gotta sell dem engine licenses… :/

“Graphics, whether it’s lighting or shadows, puts you in a different emotional context and drives the immersion”

Microsoft stand at odds with its importance in that statement, because they recently sold Mediaroom to a display manufacturer, prioritising their platform strategy over that concept.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Cobra951

@21: Beat me to it. Minecraft is not immersive either, right?

#23 1 year ago
  24. deathm00n

Yesterday I was playing The Elder Scrolls 1. Still a good game. I can probably run 50 of them at the same time with my cellphone. So yeah, I don’t think graphics matter so much. Of course, without good graphics your game MUST be very good by itself. But if the game is bad you can try to hide it behind graphics, people will fall for it sometimes.

#24 1 year ago
  25. TheWulf

What an absolute moron.

I mean, I’m sure graphical fidelity matters so much! That’s why To the Moon and Bastion have been two of the most genuinely interesting and poignant games of the last few years, played by myself and my friends. Yep. Sounds legit. Oh wait.

There are many games out there which have high fidelity but look like arse. Anything CryTek does falls into this category. Then you have low fidelity games which can look incredibly beautiful. I’ll take artistic style and flair over fidelity any day.

It’s just funny because CryTek games really do generally look terrible.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Francis O

Graphics matter to an extent. In Crisis, Graphics matter too much to where it’s detrimental to the game. Crysis 3 sucks balls, the framerate dips are laughable on PS3 and Xbox 360. Even the PC version is just a boring shooter that has zero new ideas.

So screw this guy, I will not buy you’re games, because all he cares about is graphics. Gameplay takes a back seat at Crytek, I’m more of a gameplay first guy…. then graphics.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Lewis247

By that logic then it’s the 40% that Crytek can’t seem to do well or realise matters the most.

#27 1 year ago
  28. polygem

Bullshit, good games have been and forever will be about gameplay and great artdesign. graphics are just the cream topping. i do not want some cream on every cake i eat though, sometimes i just want a purer taste as well.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Quige

Just finished Crysis 3 and in my opinion they really need to concentrate on that other 40% then. Was very disappointed by the gameplay in Crysis 3, having enjoyed Crysis 2 quite a bit with several play throughs. The stealth + bow started out a good idea but actually sucked a lot of the tension out of the game. Every situation could be dealt with by stealth and shoot arrows. A lot of the upgrades didn’t seem that useful either once you’d put some points into hacking assistance and a couple of others. Not often I don’t go back for another play through but don’t think I will for this one.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Lengendaryboss

Oh god i feel like smacking this pompous, arrogant CEO right in the face. Graphics matter, it doesn’t matter if the gameplay is given 40%, i be bored out of mind through playthrough.
    It should be 50/50 or 100/100, basically you provide the best output on all fronts.

#30 1 year ago
  31. DreamCleaver

It’s thanks to Crysis’ graphics that made it stand out so much in the first place.

It’s even more prevalent in Crysis 2 and 3 where the gameplay is adequate, at best. Graphics matter, for Crysis, because it’s the only thing that raises it out of the swamp of mediocrity.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Eddie Rodrigues

@30 He didn’t said it was the most important, and “60% of the game” is the combination of all visual effects and the audio (and other things surrounding art) plus physics.

I want to play a game with appealing graphics, be it realistic or cartoonish

#32 1 year ago
  33. redwood

i played crisis and the “gameplay” didn’t matter :D

#33 1 year ago
  34. Da Man

60 percent? Not 61 or 59?

Typical marketing for typical isolated nerds.

#34 1 year ago
  35. malethief

Not sure where he’s coming from. Graphics add to the game they aren’t the thing that matters most. It’s a factor for some just like gameplay, fun factor, and length are

#35 1 year ago
  36. jevonski

aesthetics matter more than graphics.

#36 1 year ago
  37. f5inglurker

Crysis graphics were god awful namely because of its art direction, and poor visual fx. I really mean that! It looked like a terrible extended tech demo which more or less is what it was! Honestly ask yourself did you complete the game or uninstall it?

#37 1 year ago
  38. Djoenz

Wow it seems lately everything Microsoft related is giving me a bad taste in the mouth.

#38 1 year ago
  39. DSB

At least he didn’t tell anyone to deal with it.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Clupula

How no one referenced this immediately after he said that, I don’t know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQXbyeztSe4

#40 1 year ago
  41. Djoenz

SE is doing the same with FFXIII style over substance ffs no wonder costs are skyrocketing etc..

Oh well “Tough titty”.

I remember Dragon Age the shittest graphics Ive ever seen but as soon as I went for a mage I was in love with that game.

@40 wahaha omg the graphics are too much

“Believe it the graphics are there your mind just cant process it xD

#41 1 year ago
  42. _LarZen_

“Crytek: graphics “matter,” are “60% of the game””

And suddenly it made sense why Crytek games are so bad…

#42 1 year ago
  43. Mjorh

doesn’t make sense really ! i think it depends on the kind of game ur playin , suppose ur playin a puzzle game , graphic doesn’t matter that much on the other hand if ur playin FPS it matters so much , however not as gameplay ! as i said it depends on genre…

#43 1 year ago
  44. Clupula

@41 – I could totally imagine the Crytek CEO watching that video and thinking it was complimentary.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Djoenz

I have to admit though that swamp scene with the frog..I havent seen anything like it before.. Am I missing out? cause that did look freaking delicious.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Clupula

@45 – NOW YOU’RE ENTRANCED BY THE GRAPHICS!!!!

#46 1 year ago
  47. xxJPRACERxx

Graphics are important to me, I just can’t play play a game with ugly graphics. But gameplay is still the most important thing, it count like 80% of the game.

PS: It would be nice to see the post # when using the mobile theme.

#47 1 year ago
  48. OlderGamer

Tell that to the indie guys. In short, imo, it is thinking like this that creates so much of the same ole crap and stiffles inovation.

Case in point, the WiiU is a hell of an inovative way to play games. The GamePad dramaticly chnages the way games can be played, and in a good way. But all most gamers see are “last generations grafix”.

He is right grahpics matter, too much imo. Now I am not looking to go play on a PSx anymore. However, I think too much gets made of a games graphics sometimes.

#48 1 year ago
  49. ManuOtaku

For me is 20% graphics 80% gameplay, but i know iam quite a minority here.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Bomba Luigi

Its funny, the last Time I played Crysis I realized that Graphic dosn’t matter. It was nice to look at, but booring and stupid when it comes to Gameplay or Story.
    Of Course its good to have good Graphics, of course it can help to provide a better experience, but all the best Graphics are usless when the Rest is bad. Then the Game is just Shit.

But that is something Crytek never will understand.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Digital Bamboo

Graphics matter to a varying degree depending on the game & genre.

For Crysis games, 60% sounds about right, as they are widely used to show what high-end PC’s can do visually. For countless others…not so much.

But I’m really having difficulty connecting the dots between better graphics and better sound design. What about games like Xenogears and Nier? They’re not much to look at, but have stunning soundtracks.

Yerli just needs to add another 30% and he’ll have full-blown Lucasitus.

#51 1 year ago
  52. monkeygourmet

I keep going on about it;

But ‘Mario Galaxy 1/2′ are perfect examples of amazing graphics and gameplay / control.

Crytek can only dream of creating something even a 1/4 of the quality.

Mario Galaxy even used old hardware and still ran silky smooth…

#52 1 year ago
  53. Battler624

and yet megaman x6 is still one of my top games of all time..
    oh yeah and lets not forget minecraft, its the ultimate graphics right?

#53 1 year ago
  54. CL4P-TP

screw graphics. make 100% gameplay 0% graphics. text based gameplay is where its at

#54 1 year ago