Ryse a major launch title for next generation Xbox – report

Thursday, 11th April 2013 14:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ryse is a next-generation Xbox launch title according to a report on The Verge.

Microsoft revealed Crytek’s gladiator-style Ryse, formerly known as Codename Kingdoms, during E3 2011, and according to the report, the game with Kinect functionality has been reworked for next-gen. Ryse will also take advantage of Kinect’s upgraded tracking.

Rumors that the game would skip Xbox 360 first surfaced in December 2011, claiming it would instead be released on next-gen. At the time, Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli wouldn’t be drawn on the rumor which stemmed from a LinkedIn profile belonging to the game’s senior level designer who left Crytek for Ubisoft.

Yerli said at the time: “We’re still working with Microsoft, so obviously we can’t change platforms. But if you mean within Microsoft – that I can’t comment on.”

It has also been suggested the game will contain multiplayer.

The report also states that four “major launch titles” for the next Xbox will include a Forza title with “super life-like” graphics, a zombie game, and a Pixar movie-style game starring a family living on an island. The later will use Kinect to scan the player and input it as virtual character in-game.

Third-party support is also “strong in the first-person-shooter genre,” and improvements to Xbox Live have been made along with a “switch to currency” instead of MS Points.

Other third party games, unsurprisingly, said to be coming to the console are Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs and Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag, according to a LinkedIn profile belonging to one of the firm’s gameplay programmers and marketing artists (thanks, woe).

MS is expected to reveal the console in May and a full reveal is expected at E3 in June.

Thanks, DrDamn.

1. Erthazus

Crytek peaches !

I want to see their next game and how it will look on the next gen platforms. I guess the visuals will be like in Crysis 3 on the PC that will blow anything on the market and it will be a standard for the next gen consoles.

Crysis 1 on the PC from 2007 with Direct X10 is still the best looking game with sandbox environment.

2. Gheritt White

But where are my 3rd-person, narrative heavy/story-driven action-adventure games?

3. Lengendaryboss

Ryse seems interesting.
    For kinect? All interest lost :)

4. Erthazus

^ If it’s for kinect only then it’s meh…

5. Lengendaryboss

@4 Exactly i find motion gaming gimmicky, and most games like this aren’t fun when only for kinect.

6. foofly

Kinect… meh.

7. monkeygourmet

I think it was confirmed as a pad + Kinect game, although I’m not 100% on this…

It’s so annoying… Kinect 2.0 plus Move could really move a lot of genres forward, it’s a shame the tech is exclusive to 2 different consoles…

Maybe MS has something up its sleeve and Kinect 2.0 and the Durango has some kind of ‘Move like’ companion controller…

To feel like your hitting / attacking an enemy with gesture, you really need some kind of tactile ‘force feedback’.

Quick link although old info probably:

8. viralshag

@4/5, Well the Verge article says: ” It’s set in the roman empire period and uses deep Kinect integration to allow players to slash and kick at enemies.” And if you watch the trailer there it looks like it will be a Kinect game.

Which puts me right off. I have no problem using Kinect for things like GR: Future Soldier gunsmith. But exclusively using Kinect is a big no for me so far.

9. Fin

Hm, surprised they might only have one core franchise at launch (Forza).

Makes sense otherwise.

10. DrDamn

So 2 or 3 new IPs is nice. Strong Kinect in 2 of them gives an indication of direction. The note about them wanting Ryse being “designed to be Microsoft’s new Gears of War / Halo mega launch title.” maybe indicates the Kinect-ness will either be optional or more core oriented.

11. Stephany Nunneley

It’s been said Ryse will have Kinect integration since 2011. So that isn’t new.

12. OlderGamer

Really wonder if Kinect will have anything worth while for most of us. Ryse isn’t anything that has me excited. Maybe when I see it in action I will feel differently. But I doubt it.

And in that, and a nod to Doc…if the XBnxt is all about Kinect, will there be enough that isn’t about Kinect to keep most of us happy?

13. viralshag

@Steph, That’s fine and I think people get that. But then again in 2011 it wasn’t planned to be one of the main launch titles for the new Xbox and like #10 says, that could be a good indication of the direction for the console.

Like I said, I don’t mind the Kinect depending on what it will be used for but I would rather have mandatory always-on than mandatory Kinect in games :)

14. DrDamn

Well done motion control for this sort of game could work nicely. The gladitorial bit of Sports Champions on PS3 worked really well and extended out into more of an adventure game would be nice. If Kinect 2 can track one-to-one better and not just interpret gestures in a game context it could be nice. I’d like to see it support a controller as well though.

15. monkeygourmet

Check the link, it might well support both…

16. Dark

Kinect is really killing the nextbox for me.

17. SlayerGT

A Kinect game is a “major” launch title? Great.

18. The_Red

Has there ever been a word more powerful than Kinect? I mean, there is a game from Crytek, the great creator of FarCry and Crysis. A game for the next gaming platform from MS and finally, a game that is coming for launch… yet that single, poignant word, the “Kinect” destroy any and all excitement I had for this game.

19. ps3fanboy

A major launch title and it is a kinect title.. ROTFLMAO!…. yet again Mictosoft show they don’t take gamers serious. If your a xboxfanboy now i feel pity on you, and your all welcome to Sony’s Playstation4. Sony know what gamers want and will deliver the ultimate gaming system this gen. Mictosoft are done and have become a joke….

20. Djoenz

What about that new zombie game and Pixar movie style game! Finally some new IP’s. I dont care about racing games they are shit imo and kinect I could care less.

21. laughing-gravy

The last Crysis game was meh! So I won’t hold out any hope for Ryse then. Kinect no thank you.

22. Moonwalker1982

Guys chill out. Phil Spencer DID say it was a controller and kinect hybrid. That could have changed, but really…how the hell is multiplayer going to work with kinect only? Also those recent reports said that Kinect is NOT the main focus for 720/Durango. Let’s wait and see, and especially not jump to any conclusions.

23. fearmonkey

What I really want to know is if I can play the next xbox without having to use Kinect in every game. I play close to a monitor not with a TV across the living room, so the current Kinect is useless to me, and I worry that the next gen xbox is so aligned with it, that I might have problems with my preferred gaming setup.

24. G1GAHURTZ

Lots of interesting stuff there…

25. RocknRolla

Lost all interest when I realized it is for Kinect… Still going with PS4 :)

26. Moonwalker1982

Dude. It is still very plausible that the game is a Kinect+Controller hybrid. I’d expect we have to move aruond with the controller while doing attacks with Kinect. Let’s wait and see.

27. SameeR_Fisher

@26: that’s still awful if you ask me, the only way that Ryse could be amazing, if it was a controller game, with kinect options if you want to, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

28. Moonwalker1982

We’ll just have to wait and see. This title clearly is quite a big deal to MS, so let’s hope it’s not a disaster like Steel Batallion was. Who knows, maybe they actually surprise us with a great looking and fun gaming.

Let’s also not forget that its very plausible that these aren’t the only launch titles. Maybe Alan Wake 2 as well, cause we all know something huge regarding Alan Wake is being announced this year. And that new Lionhead IP.

29. ManuOtaku

I just hope they implement well the motion controls part, if they can do it, it will be a good game, when motion controls works, they do work fine, colour me interested big time.