Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon captures nostalgia of “shitty action movies” – Ubisoft

Thursday, 11th April 2013 09:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a neon-lit, static-filtered tribute to action movies of the 1980s. Ubisoft creative director Dean Evans has discussed why the team opted for this pitch in a new interview.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Evans gave a warm, fuzzy elevator pitch, “It’s about that single glow. Mum and dad have gone to bed and you’re downstairs, there’s the Vic-20 over there on the black and white TV, the Atari over there.

“You’ve seen those consoles change, but the one thing that’s stayed the same is these shitty action movies burning your retina, watching Robocop again and again and again and watching that police station scene in Terminator and rewinding it, pressing play and watching it again.”

The game stars Rex Colt, a super-soldier voiced by James Cameron mainstay Michael Biehn, who can pull of many of the same stunts that Jason Brody could in Far Cry 3. Except now you’re shooting your way through a haven of action movie cultural ‘isms’, such as whaling on enemies with a mini-gun while listening to Long Tall Sally – a nod to Predator, obviously.

It’s open world again, and will see players journeying through military bases and other garish locales that make a change from the dull tone of some shooters out there.

Evans said of Blood Dragons wild setting, “I’m certainly a bit tired of shooters that take place in a modern setting and that have quite a lot of warfare. So it’s nice to be able to just fucking go off and do something else. Things don’t have to make much sense.

“Look at Platinum Games, the stuff that Kojima does. They get a lot of flak for the kind of stuff they do, but ultimately it’s that attitude – so fucking what? Let’s go! Was it ridiculous? Yes, awesome! Was it fun? Yes, brilliant! That’s the goal of games, to have as much fun as possible.”

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is due on Xbox Live Arcade and other formats on May 1. We’ve got footage of the game right here.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

I beg your pardon! By shitty action movies you can’t possibly mean The Terminator, Robocop, Jurassic Park, Alien(s)…. because sir, I will challenge you to a duel if you do. Dave, issue my duel request to this fool please. :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. Samoan Spider

@1 Hahaha, yeah he’s messing with my memory of these films that I watched during many stolen late night hours as a young’un! These were good times, but fair play, I do want to play his game now.

#2 1 year ago
  3. zinc

They had me at mini-gun :-)

#3 1 year ago
  4. Lloytron

Robocop and Terminator were hardly ‘shitty action movies’

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

Robocop was definitely shitty. As was Predator.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

@5 You take that back about predator. The sequel, yeah that was shit, but the first one was pure cheesy action but excellent fun. Having Arnie in it means you can forgive a lot. Like Commando in that regard :P

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

Having Michael Biehn in the game is the ultimate validation of that concept.

I’ve told my wife I want to hang this in our livingroom.

#7 1 year ago
  8. GwynbleiddiuM

YoungZero you’re dead to me. Robocop was great, it the second was good, the third was utter bullshit. First Predator was also great.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Samoan Spider

@7 How has she taken that?

#9 1 year ago
  10. DSB

@9 She’s slowly going through the stages of grief.

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

@6: Let me be clear, when I said shitty, I meant ‘chessy’ and ‘dumb’. I don’t like those cheesy C-Style action movies. Remember there was a scene in Predator where one of their colleagues was dragged into the forest, screamed, the team ran towards the scream and immediately opened fire. On the forest. With a Mini-Gun.

@7: Lawl.

@8: Naw, it was cheesy as fuck.

@10: Lawl.

To the topic: From what I’ve seen about this game, this is essentially what Duke Nukem should’ve been. It looks absolutely amazing.

It combines homages for old cheesy 80′s action flicks, with current meme humor and penis jokes. It’s perfect.

It even has 2D Animation cutscenes in the style of SNES games. It’s absolutely marvelous.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Samoan Spider

@10 Hahaha, well good luck with that. Mine would be quite content to take it down the moment I put it up. She’s stubborn as hell and has absolutely no soul where 80s/90s action films are concerned. Much like YZ :P

@11 For your on topic comments, this is precisely my feelings on it. An instant win and I’m looking forward to playing it.
    But, that’s the kind of stupid shit that happened in these older action films, ‘if it moves, shoot it’. Didn’t it look cool as shit when they shot up the forest? Hell yes and it *sounded* awesome too :)

#12 1 year ago