Dota 2 more popular than LoL in the west – report

Wednesday, 10th April 2013 05:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Analysts suggest that Valve’s Dota 2 may have overtaken League of Legends to become the most-played PC game in the west.

The claim comes from DFC Intelligence and has some caveats; according to GamesIndustry, DFC’s PC Game Meter report covers only “core” PC games in North America and Europe, drawing on services like Xfire – casual and browser-based game are not included.

With that in mind, the report has Dota 2 as the most popular PC game of the first quarter of 2013.

League of Legends came in second, and both titles were well ahead of the rest of the pack, which was led in third place by World of Warcraft.

DFC’s Jeremy Miller said it was ‘surprising’ how little Dota 2′s massive popularity ate into League of Legends’ market share; the Riot Games effort continues to grow its player base.

Both titles are free-to-play MOBAs based on the original Defence of the Ancients Warcraft 3 mod; they will be eventually be challenged by Blizzard All-Stars, and already share an increasingly crowded market with the likes of Heroes of Newerth and more creative spins on the genre such as Awesomenauts.

In the past, League of Legends has laid claim to the title of most-played game in the world.

Over all, combined usage of the top 20 PC games was up 22% year on year and 8% quarter-on-quarter. DFC credits the increase to games like Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3, Minecraft, World of Tanks Counter-Strike.

1. Yoshi

Not surprising with how accessible Dota 2 is through Steam. I personally prefer Dota 2 so much more, not only does it looks so damn pretty but just everything about it feels as if it fits together as a piece. I tried getting into LoL but just never could and after trying to I never thought I’d be interested in a MOBA, but then Dota 2 came along and changed my mind.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

@1 that and that every time you log into Steam there are six or seven new invites waiting

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

DOTA2 is awesome.
    Now, i must go because Lina waits for me to kick some European ass!

#3 1 year ago
  4. Mineral4r7s

I never understood this MOBA hype and I probably never will.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

^ Maybe you should try it?

At first I had the same feelings, until I played DOTA2 :D

#5 1 year ago
  6. Myth

Good to know that the two can peacefully coexist and grow independent of each other – not everything has to be a “mine is better than yours”-flamewar. :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. Shinji10TH

DOTA 2 is good game,and so is LOL, the preference only depends on which one you played first, since is started with LOL, i’ve found DOTA’s controls quit odd and couldn’t get used to them, even if saw that DOTA allows really profound tactics and champions builds, and has some very interesting gameplay aspects.
    I hope i can enjoy it as much as LOL in the future.

#7 1 year ago
  8. viralshag

@7, I was exactly the same regarding the controls compared to LOL. Probably just need to get use to it but I haven’t gone back yet but I think I will when I have the time.

#8 1 year ago
  9. MrParchedGuy

@7 I found that only half true, whereas I played League its first 2 years of release, my friends brought me into Dota. While hard at first I have come to appreciate both the fact that the games are drastically different, and that the polish of both games goes toward different areas. Dota puts a lot of focus on little things and user content, while League focuses heavily on high-level play and accessibility. I like and play both games even now, just give each its own chance.

#9 1 year ago
  10. weinerface

@9 What are you talking about, LoL about high level play, and Dota about user content? That’s so backwards that I’m not sure if you’re joking or not. LoL is about being casual-friendly and easy to pick up, and then Dota is for men.

#10 1 year ago
  11. anobei

I never understood this MOBA hype and I probably never will.

#11 1 year ago