The Last of Us focus test used men only, dev forced them to include women

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 11:06 GMT By Dave Cook

The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog has revealed that the focus-testing group handling surveys for the PS3 title were only planning on speaking with male gamers. Creative director Neil Druckman has revealed that the studio stepped in and forced them to include female gamers as well.

Druckman told The Escapist, “Another aspect that influences how a game is promoted is focus-testing. Players are rounded up and are asked to view materials and answer some quantitative and qualitative questions about it.

“My big surprise during this process is that the research group wasn’t planning on focus-testing female gamers – it’s something we had to specifically request. I hope this is a relic of the past that will soon go away.”

Naughty Dog told me last year that Sony asked them to push Ellie to the back of the game’s box-art for fear of her image hurting sales. They refused. Find out what happened here.

Thanks GI.biz.

1. SameeR_Fisher

well here is the thing, I am glad Sony is open minded, I mean sure they are still trying to push females away, but they are so understanding, The Last of Us cover and Beyond Two Souls cover, it shows that Sony actually listen to it’s developers, which is a great thing.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Yoshi

@1Agreed. They clearly approached the devs saying they were scared it wouldn’t sell. But still listened to the devs and decided to run with the devs idea instead of their own. And, if it pays of, no doubt, then we can slowly but surely move along with keeping females in the light of box arts. Too be honest, look at Rockstar’s covers over the years. Pretty much everyone had a female in one of the segments. Even though it’s only a small area, a female character gets that entire section to themselves and it’s equal to the rest.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Clupula

Maybe I’m the only one surprised by it, but this game seems to have really attracted a few of my Xbox-only friends, to the point where four of them plan on buying PS3′s before this is released. Not that I’m not looking forward to the game myself, but I didn’t think it looks like a system seller.

#3 1 year ago
  4. salarta

If it counts for anything, the image Dave Cook included for this article now has me interested in finding out about the character, so I’ll be looking deeper into The Last Of Us. Thanks, Dave!

#4 1 year ago
  5. deathm00n

@3 Naughty Dog magic. Let’s see what they do for PS4. They are the team wich can develop the system seller for it. It works for me, got Crash Bandicoot before I bought the PS1, the first game I’ve bought for PS3 was Uncharted 3.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Vice

Bad idea. Really bad idea.

#6 1 year ago