Thatgamecompany veteran says indie’s next game will “change the industry”

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 06:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Journey and Flower developer thatgamecompany is sitting on a “huge”, “important” new project that will be years in the making, one recently-departed staffer has revealed.

Asher Vollmer left thatgamecompany this week, saying in a blog post that he wants to go indie so he can work on his own projects rather than somebody else’s vision. Fair enough – and he has nothing but praise for the game he’s leaving behind.

“The New Game they’re making isn’t just something that you can casually abandon. Obviously I can’t divulge any details about it, but It’s going to be huge,” he wrote.

“And I don’t mean it’s going to be a long sprawling game, I mean it’s going to be an important game. I genuinely believe it’s going to change the industry in a really positive way.”

Unfortunately, it’s going to be quite a while before we can understand what Vollmer means, because the new game is a long way off. Vollmer said development is progressing “at a snail’s pace” and that the project is ‘inching along’.

“The Game is going to be incredible, but it is moving slowly. There are years remaining on the project and, quite frankly, those are years I don’t want to give up for a game that isn’t truly mine,” he said.

Well, all the best to Vollmer, then. Thatgamecompany founder Jenova Chen has dropped a few quiet hints about the new project; it will likely be multiplatform, and may use a touch interface. Its’ expected to emphasis connection even more than the delightful co-op experience of Journey did.

Thatgamecompany’s last project, Journey, has won so many awards it’s actually stopped being funny, and despite selling well, still hasn’t put any money in the developer’s coffers.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

“Its’ expected to emphasis connection…”
    –> “It’s expected to emphasise connection…”

Brenna, if I’m getting on your nerves, just tell me and I’ll stop…

2. KrazyKraut

don’t worry at least I appreciate it. Among other things, reading vg247 helps me to keep my English on a certain level (I am from Germany) and someone who checks spell is extremely helpful.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

“…who checks spelling…” ;)

Aber hallou!

4. Sadismek

@3 Killing spree!

I agree with @2, reading VG24/7 has helped me a lot to improve my English on a bunch of levels :D.

5. polygem

Aber halloumi bitte in brot und mit soße please!
    ;)

6. sh4dow

Dude… you should NOT rely on gaming sites for keeping your English skills up. These days, they are some of the worst offenders when it comes to literacy. Or should I say illiteracy…

7. Telepathic.Geometry

^-^

I’m an English teacher, a bit OCD and generally a fucking terrible pedant, so if people get pissed off at me, I can’t complain. But if it helps someone, then that makes me happy…

8. viralshag

Wow so you mean there is the ultimate life changing game which is not just around the corner and no one has any idea when to expect it but trust you, it will be amazing?

Well I don’t know about everyone else but I’m sold.

9. YoungZer0

@6: Youtube it is then! :D

@7: Please do continue.

10. deathm00n

Me too learn from site, engrish so good can count to potato!

Just kidding, since I’ve learned english for myself reading games sites and playing games, I consider VG24/7 as one of my teachers. Since people understand what I write, I think I can say videogames weren’t a waste of lifetime :)

11. YoungZer0

Truth be told, I got my basic English lessons from Dragon Ball Z movies that were in Japanese with English subtitles. School didn’t do much.