Sony Xperia phones now pair natively with Dual Shock 3, see it here

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 10:43 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony Xperia phones can now pair with Dual Shock 3 controllers using a new piece of software, letting users control many games on Google Play and PSN. Sony has released a video showing how it works.

The video comes courtesy of the Xperia Blog and was brought to our attention by Joystiq.

What do you think?

1. OmegaSlayer

O________________O
    Everything Sony is startting to fall in place…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Deacon

Great move Sony.

#2 1 year ago
  3. viralshag

Ok. Consider me impressed.

If I didn’t love my S3 so much I would probably look at the Xperia next after seeing a friend with one. It’s quite a nice phone but quite big.

#3 1 year ago
  4. zinc

When I think “why?” I can only assume, it because they could. Not seeing any other benefit really.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Deacon

I’ve got the Xperia T right before they announced the Z… bummer. Still, the Xperia T has been a joy so far, and still looks great.

I’m in two minds about this. On one hand, it’s just fucking great. But on the other, I wonder how many people this will actually be useful for?

#5 1 year ago
  6. viralshag

@5, Anyone with a DS3 and an Xperia I guess. I don’t think it’s something people would buy one or the other for but if you happen to have both it’s certainly not a bad thing to be able to do.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Deacon

I have both, but doubt I will ever use it like this. Console controllers on tablets would be more worthwhile I think.

#7 1 year ago
  8. NeoSquall

@1 BEHOLD THE MASTER PLAN OF KEN KUTARAGI REALIZING ITSELF!!!

Anyway, I hope this support is extended to all “PlayStation Certified” devices, which include both Xperia smartphones and Sony tablets from 2011 onward and some HTC models.

#8 1 year ago
  9. OmegaSlayer

@Deacon
    For now this phone pairs natively with DS3 but in the future, new upgrades or firmwares will allow this function on more Playstation certified stuff for sure.
    I liked the bit with the TV :)
    I so hope one day it will be possible to play PSVita games on a TV.
    I don’t like to play on screen smaller than 15 inches

#9 1 year ago
  10. powerbuoy

Is there a reason this doesn’t work on ANY Android device? (Besides the obvious)

#10 1 year ago
  11. ps3fanboy

sony brings it, microsoft dont… its a fact!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dave Cook

@11 define “it”.

#12 1 year ago
  13. NeoSquall

@10 My money’s on patent rights on the DS3 and the software required to pair the controller to the device.

#13 1 year ago
  14. deathm00n

Hope it works for my Xperia U, but I guess not, since it isn’t playstation certified…

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

Does it also conect to the tv? Because that is where the revolution is going to take place. When mobile can fully conect/scale to a TV, and use controlers flawlessly. If people can do that with their tablets, consoles could be in trouble. Because essentialy their mobile device would become pocket sized consoles. Sure the games selection aren’t the same, but that will change with a little time.

#15 1 year ago
  16. DrDamn

Yeah it’s certainly a feature of some Xperia phones.

#16 1 year ago
  17. deathm00n

@15 If you have a sony TV you can play show things from your phone in your TV without cables, you do a throw movement with the photos or videos towards the screen. I tried it once and it works. But I don’t know if it’s possible to show the games.

#17 1 year ago
  18. NeoSquall

@15 my Xperia Arc (2011 lineup) already connects to the TV via HDMI Type A + Type D cable, and it can play both standard Android and PSM games just fine (for what my cell can do).

#18 1 year ago
  19. jevonski

took me a second to remember I have an Xperia S so this is great news xD

#19 1 year ago
  20. OlderGamer

That is a very impressive thing. In my mind that is prolly the future of gaming. An in the cloud account, games, that allow you to play on the go or on a TV display. Would be like combining your Vita, Cell Phone, Tablet, and PS3/4 all in one device. Very cool.

#20 1 year ago
  21. polygem

this is exactly what i think ms will do with the nextbox: let your nextbox controller connect to your surface touchpad. add a streaming service. voila, here you go dedicated xbox branded handheld. finally.

#21 1 year ago
  22. OlderGamer

I think tho, to realy make it work it needs to be designed not a individual peices that conect together, but instead a one piece that does severel indivudual things.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Djoenz

I have to admit I love the fact I can stream youtube vids on my phone to my ps3 through the youtube app, but for gaming hardcore games? NO!

Casual games are casual doesnt matter wether on tv or being able to play casual games with a controller.

Who cares about playing AngryBirds on a big ass tv with controller.
    Certainly not me. I play casual games at work tyvm to blow time.

All. gimmicks not substance.

#23 1 year ago
  24. polygem

ms could make it optional but at the same time make people really want to have it. i can not see them having a surface/nextbox bundle with a fixed retail price of 799 but maybe the rumoured subscription deals will become a reality for exactly this.
    get a nextbox plus a surface pad and a xbl sub for 300 dollar and then 19,99 a month, 2 year contract…something like that.

i really think ms needs some kind of xbox branded handheld too finally and i believe they plan to just use their ms branded tablets for this for ages, that´s why we haven´t seen one yet and that´s why i think they will wow us this e3 with some good ideas and some great software to make that happen and to counter vita, 3ds, wiiu big time.

all i just said could also just be apile of shit.
    and before this starts again. i am not an xbox fanboy, just my thoughts about this…

#24 1 year ago
  25. polygem

@23: you could play your touchpad based games just like always on, well, the touchpad when you are on the train etc. at home you could use the tablet and the nextbox controller to stream the games to your couch/ bed/ hotelroom.i don´t know shit about 3g/4g tech but it would be a game changer if it would be possible to stream those nextbox/ps4 games on your tablet/vita via the net.

#25 1 year ago
  26. OlderGamer

I bet down the road DJ you will be able to play all maner of hardcore games via a service like described above.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Djoenz

@25, 26

So basically an online streaming service/server allround or individually offered for free or subscription based that can stream games or other media not only by wifi but also phone network?

That would be nifty I guess.

But Im concerned about burning 3g/4g data (without wifi), concerned about the fee, concerned about the laggy side of streaming.

Also no idea about what current tablets can do atm when it comes to hardware, but if Im near my house I probably just want to play hardcore games on my tv oldskool times.

Im just saying is it really viable? Will it attract the masses? I get your points, but imo nahhh.

#27 1 year ago
  28. polygem

i don´t know….esp. no clue about the tech side of things, if this could work today, but it will soon for sure. i think it would be cool to have access to your nextboxps4 from your vita or touchpad when you are in a hotel or something like that. it´s basically like taking your home console with you. i think people will want that soon. in some situations i would totally want that.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Djoenz

Near your home its DLNA on the same IP of your wifi router if Im not mistaken. Its already confirmed that you can stream and thus play PS4 games on your Vita vice versa I have no idea.

Then comes the question will tablets (sony tablets or all open OS tablets?) be able to do as well?

Another question AWAY FROM HOME. Uhm 3g/4g for Vita and Tablets are already existent but I wouldnt have the money for tht. Already paying for my phone. So you could use Gaika for that but will Gaika be free? Or perhaps through wifi at another place (thus another ip) you might still be able to access your PS4 through Gaika?

A lot of potential indeed but it would cost Im sure of it.

On the other hand it would be awesome if PSN+ subscribers can use Gaika services for free.

#29 1 year ago
  30. theevilaires

Good bye Ouya

#30 1 year ago
  31. queeparem

it really awful, may it is not to much comfortable byt.. Like on this website http://www.electrogsm.pl you can buy controller for Sony Xperia to really make it work it needs to be designed not a individual pieces that connect together

#31 1 year ago