Rainbow Six: Patriots development wrapped up by Ubisoft Toronto

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 16:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft Toronto has finished working on its portion of Rainbow Six: Patriots, studio boss Jade Raymond has told VG247′s Sam Clay.

After a core development team shuffle back in 2012, it was reported that Ubisoft Montreal would continue work on the single-player portion, while the Toronto team would handle the MP missions.

The team working on the title is believed to be around 200 strong and while originally thought to be heading to PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, it’s likely the game will be released on next-gen – either in tangent or exclusively.

Raymond’s studio is also collaborating on Splinter Cell: Blacklist along with the next Assassin’s Creed release after Black Flag and is working on two of its own IP.

Rainbow Six: Patriots is set to launch this year sometime.

1. Ercarret

Sounds weird. I don’t think I’ve heard anything regarding this game since Ubi reassigned a lot of the people working on it, and now they’re done with the MP portion of the game? Granted, I don’t know anything about game development, but shouldn’t MP and SP (and every other component of the game) be finished at about the same time? And if the SP nears completion, why haven’t we heard anything?

Yeah, weird.

#1 1 year ago
  2. digmouse

This game is still alive?

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

Poor Rainbow, gone the way of Ghost Recon..down the shitter.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Djoenz

Third person MP I hate that stuff, but the gameplaye tease has impressed me a lot. I cant wait to see more gameplay of this game!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Moonwalker1982

I loved the first Vegas game and while Vegas 2 wasn’t a bad game, i didn’t like the campaign and maps one bit. I really liked what they have shown of Patriots in that video and screenshots and i hope they can deliver that with this one. As long as it doesn’t turn into Future Soldier, i’m alright. God what a huge disappoint that was.

I DO find it weird however that we haven’t heard a single thing about Patriots until recently where Raymond said the team was finishing the MP maps and now all of a sudden this news? They better show this at E3 then.

#5 1 year ago
  6. GwynbleiddiuM

I hope you have customization options for your character like the Vegas 2 and you could play as female or male. That was better as a female badass in Vegas 2. regardless it’s strange to know that the game is alive and nothing has been said about it in a long while.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

Indeed man. You’d expect some screenshots and perhaps a new trailer to be released. Whatever the case…please Ubi don’t fuck this one up. I am SO fucking ready for a new Rainbow game.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Iliad

Next gen Terrorist Hunt = SOLD!

#8 1 year ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

I really want to see this. Rainbow can rise once more! :D Rainbow Six can offer a style of play that’s not often seen, and it can deliver that experience to a less niche audience, because of the association with Ubi their multiplatform focus and all. I hope Ubisoft Montreal are able to deliver with this one. It would be great to see evidence that points to the idea that they are.

Is there an upcoming report, or video to come about Rainbow 6: Patriots on here? (given that the article mentions Jade talking to Sam about the Toronto studio’s participation drawing to a close, on the project.)
    Curious though I think it is, that multiplayer would wrap first, given that the concepts presented in the past for it seemed progressive and somewhat complicated.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Moonwalker1982

I checked if Ubi Montreal made GR: Future Soldier, but they didn’t. Very good news in my book. That studio however did make a shitload of awesome games though.

I just don’t want them to ruin Rainbow Six like they ruined Ghost Recon with Future Soldier, god what a let down that game was. But yeah, you’d expect some real coverage on this game soon now. News like this usually don’t go without screenshots or a video. I hope so much that the concept hasn’t changed drastically. I liked that new approach.

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

“I hope so much that the concept hasn’t changed drastically.”

Yep. That bothers me too. I really, really hope they didn’t try to force another Call of Duty Design into it.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Djoenz

Still rocks ass and yeah they better stick to this formula. Engaging,dramatic and tough choices that really makes ya think. Gotta love it. Let it be an intelligent shooter where choices matter and have impact.

#12 1 year ago
  13. THEDON82z1

@SlayerGT- Yeah u right I remember back in 2007/08 when I first got my ps3 ,Rainbow six VEGAS 1/2 is what made me addicted to online gameing.I met all my friends(still play with some of them today)and we ran some good clans.I played that sh@t for almost 3 years.It was not untill BATTLEFIELD BAD COMPANY WAS RELEASED that I finally put it down.SADLY I dont think it will keep up anymore with BATTLFIELD (with all the action and destruction,ect).I will get it for old time sake but now I just cant see myself sticking with it, fighting in small areas with no DESTRUCTION/VEHICLES.

#13 1 year ago
  14. EmptySkin

My guess is that this game is NOthing like the videos of a few years ago. The politics and mutiny (look it up) that it caused likely put the game on the retooling path.

I hope I am wrong.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Moonwalker1982

Was Jade lying?
    —————

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6: Patriots has been formally removed from GameStop’s database, and is no longer available for pre-order. Some retailers automatically deactivate database entries after a lengthy period of time, which wouldn’t mean much in this instance. GameStop, according to a source with intimate knowledge of the retailer, “actively flipped a switch” to eliminate Rainbow 6 Patriots from its system.

GameStop tends not to remove big-name games from major publishers without an official confirmation that a title is dead, a source said. Moreover, it’s exceedingly rare for GameStop to delist a game that appeared on the cover of its Game Informer magazine.

Amazon, Game, and other retailers, meanwhile, retain a listing for Rainbow 6. While the removal from GameStop isn’t indicative of a cancellation or delay, it brings up the question once more: What is going on with this game?

Rainbow 6: Patriots was announced in 2011, but Ubisoft has spoken about the tactical shooter very little since then. Ubisoft told IGN last year that it’s still in active development, and recent signs point to a next generation Rainbow 6 on new hardware.

Ubisoft’s response to IGN concerning this delisting was, “We have nothing further to share about Rainbow 6: Patriots at this time.”

———