Cancelled Mega Man FPS reboot Maverick Hunter detailed

Tuesday, 9th April 2013 16:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The cancelled Mega Man shooter which was in the works Armature Studio has been revealed by sources close to Polygon. If you head on through the link, you will become privy to some screenshots and videos showing the “proof of concept build”. The game was purportedly canned once Keiji Inafune left Capcom in 2010, and neither Armature nor Capcom have yet to comment on the report. Go have a look at what might have been.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Before Megaman fans come here, I would like to dedicate a song to them.

“Pour salt into the open wound”

#1 1 year ago
  2. Djoenz

That suit looks awesome, but the environments look so so. .
    Push through!

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheBlackHole

Love how the article talks about how doomed Armature are, then on the same day it’s announced that they are making an Arkham Origins standalone game for PSVita and 3DS.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

Damn it. This looks pretty good. I’ve lost all interest in Megaman, this game might have actually interested me.

Though I think a TPS would’ve been the better choice.

#4 1 year ago
  5. salarta

It’s become pretty blatant that all these Megaman-based projects that Capcom had in the works were the company attempting to keep Inafune at the company, and that canceling all of them is subsequent “payback” for his departure. One of many, many reasons I haven’t been buying Capcom’s stuff lately, because for the most part they don’t deserve to make money with the way they behave. Currently, the only exceptions I’m making are for RE:Revelations since it stars Jill, and Remember Me because it looks like it’s going to star an actually strong female protagonist in the wake of seeing all these once strong female characters undone this generation.

#5 1 year ago
  6. malethief

I do like the darker look however the combat seems weird dashing at enemies and jumping on them like that. It would have been nice to see his peashooter in the game and make an evolution as the X games via capsules and power ups scattered through out the stages. Really all the had to do was make what worked so we well in 2D work in full fps mode without making an total overhaul. But the game wasn’t finished so I can’t say for sure what it could have been but nice try though

#6 1 year ago
  7. The_Red

The sad part is that Capcom probably cancelled it because they didn’t believe in MM and not because they realized it was a stupid idea.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

This is just more proof of how insane Inafune went with his anti-Japanese, pro-Western midlife crisis. Lost Planet 3 was his idea. DmC was his idea. And now this?!? Jesus Christmas, man. There’s a reason people bought your products. They were very Japanese flavored. And there’s a reason why all of your attempts to Westernize them have flopped or will flop (come on, do any of us think Lost Planet 3 is going to be a hit?). You don’t go to a painter to fix your car.

#8 1 year ago
  9. dtyk

I disagree with the “pro-western midlife crisis” label there. The man knows his trade, and I believe that shows with Soul Sacrifice. Though he’s only one guy, and it’s not really his fault that the western developers messed up his vision of a westernized japanese genre.

I am 110% sure if he was in charge of DmC, he’d never let the “FUUUCKKK YOUUUUUUU” “FUCK YOUU” disgrace into the game.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Clupula

@9 – Uh…you do know that he was the one who commissioned DmC, right? It’s been said by both Capcom and Ninja Theory, themselves. In fact, if you listen to interviews with Tameem, he initially thought they were getting DMC5 and was going to keep it in canon with the original games, but was told by Inafune that if Capcom had wanted that, they would have done it themselves.

I get the feeling the only reason DmC wasn’t canceled when he left Capcom was because of how far along the game probably was. But he is probably just as guilty as anyone at Ninja Theory for that game. In some ways, more so.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

As for Soul Sacrifice, after leaving Capcom (I remember he said that he was constantly getting shit from the board of directors, and if this, the Bionic Commando reboot, and DmC were the types of things he was pushing, I can see why they’d give him a hard time), it seems he remembered that he’s actually Japanese. I can’t see the Inafune in charge of Capcom even acknowledging the existence of, for example, the Neptunia games, nevermind allowing himself to be part of them.

#11 1 year ago
  12. salarta

DmC is probably the only thing I hold against Inafune. While I’ve complained about the direction DmC took, I do remember reading that Ninja Theory initially had concepts much more like the real Dante, but that Capcom told them it needed to be more “radical.”

This actually makes me wonder how much of the comments made by people like Tameem were ones he and Ninja Theory genuinely held, and how much of them was Capcom being extremely stupid and giving them terrible advice on how to respond to fans. If the stupid crap Ninja Theory said and did was in reality all Capcom’s fault, then I feel bad for them that their reputation and perception of them has been harmed as a result of dealing with Capcom.

#12 1 year ago
  13. dtyk

@ Clupula

No I know he was the one that commissioned it. You misunderstood my view point. What I was trying to say was that while he commissioned it, I highly doubt he had creative control over whatever Ninja Theory (or the western developer side in general) wanted to do with it. Also, from what I understand from my relative who’s worked on a few Capcom projects, it’s the higher ups of the company (higher than Inafune) that usually gets the final say. In addition, I don’t see how he can really go “Oh please change everything, make it more japanese” after the company hands off the project for another studio to develop.

Put it this way. I can’t imagine a Japanese person even being able to express that kind of meaningless vulgarness. Like yeah Japanese people can be really messed up and perverted, but in their language they actually don’t even have true dedicated swear words.

Plus, he may have pushed a few westernizing efforts, but he does not decide where the entire company’s direction goes. As I see it now, Capcom as a whole is 1) literally pushing as many projects as they can to the west or 2) recycling and milking as many franchises as they can.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

@13 – You need to look at what Inafune’s job actually was when he was at Capcom, because it’ll make things a lot clearer to you. Do I think he wrote that part? No. But do I think he would have forbidden them from having it in the game? Definitely not.

They were instructed to make a Western product that was supposed to be “edgy” to Western consumers. Sounds like they were doing their jobs to me with that sort of crappy dialogue, because that’s exactly what comes off as edgy to the majority of the mouth breathers out there.

#14 1 year ago
  15. YoungZer0

“Sounds like they were doing their jobs to me with that sort of crappy dialogue, because that’s exactly”

… what the franchise was known for.

#15 1 year ago
  16. dtyk

I’m well aware of the fact that he was the Global Head of Production for Capcom at the time. Anyways, I stand by my point that you can’t pin all the blame on one guy unless he was say, the CEO of Capcom. Though it’s probably better to just agree to disagree on this issue though. Truth being, no one really knows what happened in the company unless you worked there during the Inafune era, which I doubt neither of us have.

#16 1 year ago
  17. dtyk

Oh definitely. The franchise had brutal dialogue. Though it was also equally as cheesy and cliche to make it work somehow. The new DmC simply scrapped that saving grace and took itself too seriously.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

You do realize that using the double negative when you say, “I doubt neither of us have” means that one or both of us have. Careless speech, my friend…

#18 1 year ago
  19. dtyk

Well feel free to get grammar Nazi on me if you like. I apologize for not checking what I typed. Though I’m going to end this conversation here if all you want to do is pick a fight.

#19 1 year ago
  20. polygem

i am a supporter of western/japanese artdesign mixes if done right. i think lost planet 1 worked well in that department.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Clupula

@19 – I consider my pointing out the double negative me not picking a fight, but actually helping you to improve your English skills.

You’re welcome, by the way.

#21 1 year ago
  22. YoungZer0

@17: No. It took itself serious when it should’ve been serious. For example scenes where they talk about their past or about getting Kat back. If there was reason to be serious, the game was serious.

And when it was serious it was done right, unlike the previous games that were on a highschool drama level. With old Dante and his Bieber haircut looking up the sky, crying in the rain. So sweet.

#22 1 year ago