The Operative: No One Lives Forever rights in limbo

Monday, 8th April 2013 00:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Don’t expect a re-release or remake of Monolith’s The Operatuve: No One Lives Forever any time soon. In a post on his One of Swords blog, Activision community manager Dan Amrich explained that neither Activision nor Monolith own the rights, or have any idea who does. It seems possible that Warner Bros or FOX is involved, but the take-home message is that Activision can’t do anything with the property. The 2000 PC stealth shooter is fondly remembered for its humour and camp 1960′s espionage atmosphere, and less fondly for a fairly dire PS2 port. It spawned a sequel and prequel.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Ercarret

Aw, crap. I really liked those games and it’s a shame if this is what stops the IP from being used further. I gave up hope for (another) sequel a long time ago, but it would be nice to have it on GOG and not have to dig up the old CDs every time I’d like to play it.

Like now.

*digs up old CDs*

#1 1 year ago
  2. FrayJoker

One of the best games ever and a whole lot of what the industry needs right now. It’s a shame no one will ever care enough to get this sorted out. If not for a sequel, then to just make sure the game is still avaliable to future players.

Grim Fandango seems to have been hit by a similar fate. Makes me wonder if this rush to push all games online will make some of the best experiences only fleeting. I can watch a movie from fifty years ago, read a book, look at a painting, listen to a sound recording. For some of these games I wonder if they will be playable in any form in fifty years.

#2 1 year ago
  3. theevilaires

I remember this game on the ps2

#3 1 year ago
  4. Gheritt White

WBIE has the rights, but AFAIK Monolith was closed down last year after merging with the remains of Snowblind and Surreal. It’s now just WB Games Seattle.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Unlimax

They should rename the game to ” YOLO ” because no one lives forever with Activi$ion xD

#5 1 year ago