PS4′s familiar architecture is “pleasant surprise”, says Ubisoft Montreal boss

Monday, 8th April 2013 13:15 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 has proven to be a “pleasant surprise” according to Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat. The developer has compared Sony’s latest rig to previous PlayStation models and has deemed PS4 to be both familiar and manageable. Smiles all round it seems.

Speaking with CVG, Mallat said, “PlayStation 4 really comes as a pleasant surprise because indeed it’s a very familiar architecture. I think it’s paying off for us deciding to develop on high-end PCs early. It’s a less complex transition.”

He also compared Sony’s next-gen rig to previous iterations, and said, “From what we can talk about, which is the PlayStation 4, it’s been a radical change from those guys.

“I’ll tell you an anecdote: When I was the producer on Prince of Persia: Sands of Time we managed to get our hands on a very good programmer who’s still on the Assassin’s Creed core team.

“One day on his desk he had a black book all written in Japanese, and I was like, ‘what is that?’ It was the documentation support for coding for PS2. ‘That’s why I wanted to have Japanese lessons,’ he said – to understand and make the most out of the machine.

“That day I understood how complex it was to develop on PlayStation 2. So we were eager to find out what the PlayStation 3 would be in terms of architecture, and it was pretty much the same but more complex.”

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this from developers. It seems the blanket opinion is that PS4 is easier to code for than its predecessors. For example we saw Epic Games boss Mark Rein say that PS4 is “Like the world’s best PC”.

What’d your take?

1. Lengendaryboss

Oh great so no more bad/crappy ports like Skyrim Bethseda. I for one am glad sony caved to developers making the PS3 Successor easier to handle, so i expect no more excuses for games turning bad on a platform.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Max Payne

Can somebody explain to me because I thought ps2 was easy to develop for ?

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

Are you being sarcastic? There was pretty much no devkit. The PS3 improved a lot of things. The problem wit that system was the complex architecture with weird usage of cores and different memories.

#3 1 year ago
  4. KrazyKraut

“It was the documentation support for coding for PS2.”

I think thats why the japanese games were/are the best on the PS2.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Gadzooks!

Well done Sony. It only took you seven years to reach the standards set by MS with the 360 dev tools and hardware.

I wonder in which decade they will match Nextbox development. Hell, they still have to get PSN to an acceptable level of quality, so that’s this decade out!

#5 1 year ago
  6. sagtlthl

And Sony still made better games (and more diversity) than Microsoft and sold almost equal number of systems when compared globaly. XBOX is nothing outside US.

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

@6, And if I were to put my console-war helmet on I would like to remind you of the recent survey which said that the majority of PS3 owners use the console to watch media over playing games.

So let’s get this right, you have a console that has the ability to play bluray movies as well as offer video streaming services on a FREE network service, which also offers FREE online gaming but also has a paid version that offers really good “free” games every month, really great critically acclaimed games that offer quality and diversity, a motion control system that has impressive accuracy which would help with hard-core games and offers indie devs great support.

/Deep breath

As opposed to a console that failed trying to launch HD-DVDs and has no bluray player, an online service which they charge you for in order to use streaming services that you also pay for and comes with advertising, not to mention that you have to pay to play online MP and also doesn’t really offer you anything in return for paying for the service, has pretty much given up on exclusives games other than sequels of its first or third person shooter franchises and offers a casual (at best) motion control system and generally (supposedly) makes life difficult for indies.

And they ONLY “sold almost equal number of systems”… gutted.

#7 1 year ago
  8. vOL

@7: That survey is based on US or global? Because in my country all video channels/subscription is not supported thus you can be damn sure all of PS3 gamers in my country is using the PS3 as gaming only console.

@6: I agree. As much as people don’t want to believe, IMHO the sales is skewed by the origin of the consoles. You don’t see Xbox strives in Japan right? The same happening in US with the PS3.

This is just me and the way in my country, here, piracy is the one the most major factor for a console to be successful in sales. PS2 done it and Xbox360 is the same. Here basically you will hear little to nothing about Xbox360 on a gaming sale threads or retail shops. All PS3 games. It’s just widely known here that when people buy Xbox360= don’t buy games, just pirate the shit out of it. Such a cheapo country I lived in.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gadzooks!

#6

It is your *opinion* that Sony games are better.

MS sold massively more exclusive games than Sony. Halo 3 accounted for 12 million alone. Only GT5 got in that range on PS3.

Obviously public concensus is that they prefer Xbox exclusives to PS3 exclusives, or quite simply more would have sold on PS3.

See, those are *facts*. They kick the ass of opinion, every. single. time.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gekidami

^ You’re looking at the wrong “facts”, you go from saying better to sales. You should actually look at how they review, that a better metric when looking at quality. sagtlthl said better games, not better selling games.

Nice straw man though, ripped apart with true skill.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Da Man

Very well said, GZ.

But then you can’t really argue with socially isolated toy devotees. Metacritic, a Pos and internet connection is all they have.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Gadzooks!

#10

Luckily the general public have enough free will to buy what they like, not what a collection of reviewers tell them to like.

The only facts here are numbers sold. Metacritic is an *opinion* poll.

#12 1 year ago
  13. theevilaires

The only facts that show that they’re are more retards in the world than smart people. Fact is SONY has better games than Microsoft and people who own a PS3 don’t necessarily have to buy new games every month because they can just play COD for free online and get tons of replay value. Not to mention they use it for movies, music and pics which is enormously superior to use on the PS3.

Can you explain why a console with a year head start has been passed worldwide by a console that cost more? care to share your weak ass opinion on that Ms. Gadzooks?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Gekidami

So do you apply that logic to everything, or do you just cherry pick? So i guess you think Modern Warfare 2 is one of the best games ever and Avatar the greatest movie of all time? Of course, the PS3 has been outselling the 360 nearly every year since it launched and the last released official global sales figures (whilst somewhat unclear) put the PS3 ahead of the 360 for l2d sales. Apply the mighty mass = quality logic you’ve got there and hey-presto! The PS3 is a factually better system. Of course, the Wii is the best of all.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Da Man

Modern Warfare can’t possibly be the best, it must be some tasteless Sony produced melodrama or some dark and mature game.

Metacritic scores show Sony having deep pockets. As well as lack of plausible hobbies, interests or values among today’s youth. Alas, the devolution of species is evident.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gadzooks!

#15

You will notice that I never said either was ‘better’, simply that the public wanted Xbox games more than PS3 games, demonstrated by MS selling more games on their system.

The public want Modern Warfare too. It’s not my choice, but then I’m not such an egotist as to assume the world revolves around my tastes.

The fact is that these games are subjectively ‘better’ to the people that like them. Who are you to tell them they have bad taste? There are a lot more of them than you.

And yes, they want the PS3 more than 360 at this time. It’s become very good value – as an entertainment device. I would say as a gaming device but polls indicate that people use them more as media players than for games. ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. sagtlthl

@viralshag

You didn’t mention that XBOX has a FULL YEAR ahead start, cheaper price and easier to develop to, and still got on par with the other expensive, difficult to program for, late system PS3, which is still releasing exclusives even at the time of PS4. Believe me Microsoft is not good in gaming as Sony (which has better and more studios) but maybe in services FaceBook and Skype.
    For me, I want a console machine that plays great games I don’t want to use it for FaceBook and Skype, even TVs nowadays can do that.

#17 1 year ago
  18. ps3fanboy

I can’t see anything to get excited and to shout about on the new gen “ALWAYS ONBOX”… All developers that have used a PS4 developer kits have said so far it is a dream to work on. We know that mickey$oft have their developer kits out to, and there is not one word spoken about it. The silent just speaks tons.

#18 1 year ago
  19. nollie4545

@14, not being funny mate but there are no facts in your post that I can see.

#19 1 year ago