0x10c won’t be as moddable as Minecraft, sitting “on ice” at the moment

Friday, 5th April 2013 14:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Markus Persson has said that 0x10c won’t be as moddable as Minecraft as players will be using the existing system within the game instead of tinkering around with the raw code.

Speaking with Polygon during GDC, Persson said 0x10c is being designed with enough components setup in the spaceship itself, so users can “write the code inside the game.”

“Because with modding you can do literally anything,” he said. “You can change everything to make it look like photorealistic and the idea within 0x10c was to have enough components going on.”

While the game won’t have any ties to Minecraft, it will have one similarity: the lack of narrative. Something Persson could care less about in relation to games.

“I haven’t decided yet if we want to have some kind of story” for 0x10c, he said. “Are we actually getting someone to write it or if we just want to leave it more open? I’m still deciding.

“I basically don’t care about narrative in all the games. It’s very rare that I do. I usually just skip, skip, skip, skip. I have no idea why I’m killing this guy. It’s like the game mechanics are interesting and then all of a sudden you don’t really know, ‘What, he was my friend?’ OK. I think I’m just one of those gamers who is kind of more interested in mechanics.”

At present, 0x10c is on hold at present, as Persson admitted he is in a slight rut with it. Another developer was brought on to ensure the game would be made, but a release is still a “ways off.” Also, its release is entirely dependent on whether Persson feels it is fun or not.

“It depends if it’s just going to be me and I’m going to still feel this kind of weird pressure,” he said. “It’s not really pressure, it’s just some kind of weird creative block that’s been going on for too long, and [0x10c] is going to be put on ice until we can fix that.

“I’m very excited about the actual game. We have two prototypes going on now. It’s not really fun yet, but it feels like it could be fun because there’s nothing to do in there yet.”

1. TheBlackHole

Wow, that sounds like a total clusterf**k

2. RandomTiger

Notch has got a lot of time and cash to do what he wants. But having that level of freedom and choice isn’t actually that great for getting things done. There’s no pressure for him to finish a project or do anything.

Personally I think he should spend his timing making sure Minecraft is as good as it can be. There is so much scope for making more of that game.

3. MidlifeAxe

@2 I agree. I wouldn’t trust myself in his position, although it would be nice to be in. I’d spend so much time in that fancy office of theirs on YouTube or browsing Reddit. Not very productive at all.

I agree that he should go back and work on Minecraft a little bit more. Spend some time assisting with the API, help fix bugs or implement new features. Anything that’s actually productive. Hell, maybe it’ll inspire him some more for 0x10c.

I like and respect Notch so much, but sometimes, I don’t think he’s getting much done.

4. monkeygourmet

This smacks of…

“I don’t really have any focus”

Mind you, about A Gazillion $’s burning a hole in my back pocket would make it hard for me to concentrate too… :)

Remember Notch, If in doubt, just keep churning out Minecraft updates!

5. TheWulf

I don’t think Notch ever had any focus. But he’s doing one thing very right — he created Mojang. Now I think he needs to step back and get a few project leads in place who can get things done. Notch is a brilliant idea man, like Will Wright, but his execution leaves a lot to be desired, like Will Wright.

Whether or not Notch figures that out is going to determine the future of Mojang and his riches, I think.

6. riko2s

0x10c Beta / Alpha Version Has been released !
    You can download the game at:
    0x10chack.com